Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Scat with 5800 miles, and after a 3 hour highway run about 1500 miles ago there was a terrible smell coming from the engine. I figured it was just some kind of burn off, and sure enough it mostly dissipated after several weeks, although it would still come into the cab from time to time with the vents on. Now that smell is gone, but there's a different smell coming into the cab, which I can't smell when I'm outside the vehicle. It's a burnt acrid smell...best description I can come up with...now I swear it comes into the cab from time to time with the vents on or off, as well as windows up or down, but also if I park it and come back 30 minutes later, I can smell it in the cab and trunk even stronger...I took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't re-create it...I'm at a loss...worst part is I swear my eyes water and I get a slight cough if I get too much of it...

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
I have a 2020 Scat with 5800 miles, and after a 3 hour highway run about 1500 miles ago there was a terrible smell coming from the engine. I figured it was just some kind of burn off, and sure enough it mostly dissipated after several weeks, although it would still come into the cab from time to time with the vents on. Now that smell is gone, but there's a different smell coming into the cab, which I can't smell when I'm outside the vehicle. It's a burnt acrid smell...best description I can come up with...now I swear it comes into the cab from time to time with the vents on or off, as well as windows up or down, but also if I park it and come back 30 minutes later, I can smell it in the cab and trunk even stronger...I took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't re-create it...I'm at a loss...worst part is I swear my eyes water and I get a slight cough if I get too much of it...
Welcome to the Forum from Alabama. Do you have a manual? When I first got my M6 Scat, I rode the clutch a couple times getting comfortable with it. It smelled terrible. I would describe it as a burnt, acrid smell as well. Just wondering if your clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
343 Posts
I had a similar issue, but it ended up being a garbage bag stuck to my exhaust. Although I'm sure your dealer checked underneath, might be prudent to take another peak just in case.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
A few times over the years one of my cars has collected some road trash that contacted the hot exhaust and stunk for a bit.

In one case the trash got caught in the accessory drive system and made a racket. Not knowing at the time what was wrong I had the car flat bedded to the dealer. Upon engine start there the engine was quiet. The trash had blown out of the accessory drive system in the 30 mile ride to the dealer. SA and shop foreman told me this is common for the cars to collect something in the accessory drive system.

With another car I smelled "burning oil". Proved to be a leaking valve cover which only leaked once the engine got warm and then not much and very shortly after I shut off the engine the leaking stopped. A bit of an effort to ID this as there was never any oil reaching the ground. The oil dripped out on to the hot exhaust manifold where it was vaporized. The fumes seeped out from under the hood and the cabin air intake would pull the fumes in and the cabin smelled of hot burning oil. Yuck.

I have never experienced this but the heater core can leak. In this case you would smell anti-freeze. Or the A/C heat exchanger can leak. This could possibly irritate the eyes and other sensitive tissues.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,795 Posts
So on my 2015 M6 I would always get a strong burnt clutch smell in the cab. Well it was not until I was upgrading the fuel pump for my supercharger that I found out the seal covering the fuel pump access holw was completely popped off. After installing the seal never smelled clutch again unless it really slipped. Couple of years later, I would notice my trunk wound fill up with smoke after doing burnouts...come to find out that one of the rear pressure vents was missing. My point being, check for any loose or missing cover/grommets as they can let smells into the cab real quick.

As for the smell, I don't know what YF1234 refrigerant smells like but R134 has a mildewy/musty smell when it starts leaking out of the evaporator.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Hi HUCK,
We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support via private messages.

Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 11 of 11 Posts