Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 R/T with about 45K miles on it, no mods whatsoever, bone stock. Was on the freeway the other night doing about 75, and I went to pass someone...put the pedal down to the floor and the RPMs shot to 4K and stayed there, complete loss of power. It was like I hit a rev limiter or traction control kicked in or something, but there were no dash/warning lights on. I let completely off the pedal and it returned to normal...could accelerate as usual with gradual pedal. Stomped on it again, same issue. Tried this several times with moderate accelerator pressure, and anything more than a very gradual pressure on the pedal created the 'rev limiter/loss of power' problem.
Got home, put a code reader on it-no codes.
The only thing out of the ordinary that I could find was one of the back tires was a little low (25 PSI). Could a low tire cause this, or is this something y'all have run into before?

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,524 Posts
I have a 2014 R/T with about 45K miles on it, no mods whatsoever, bone stock. Was on the freeway the other night doing about 75, and I went to pass someone...put the pedal down to the floor and the RPMs shot to 4K and stayed there, complete loss of power. It was like I hit a rev limiter or traction control kicked in or something, but there were no dash/warning lights on. I let completely off the pedal and it returned to normal...could accelerate as usual with gradual pedal. Stomped on it again, same issue. Tried this several times with moderate accelerator pressure, and anything more than a very gradual pressure on the pedal created the 'rev limiter/loss of power' problem.
Got home, put a code reader on it-no codes.
The only thing out of the ordinary that I could find was one of the back tires was a little low (25 PSI). Could a low tire cause this, or is this something y'all have run into before?
Which transmission? If manual, clutch sounds shot.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Welcome but sorry your first post is for this.
Definitely sounds like something is slipping. Were their any attendant smells to support this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so it's an automatic, but I would think if it was the trans slipping, the RPM's would go a hell of a lot higher than 4K at WOT, right? No weird noises, burning smells, idiot lights, nothing. And just to finish out the story, after I aired up the tire the next morning, It stopped doing it.
I'm telling you, it didn't seem to be slipping, it just stopped at 4000 rpm with the pedal on the floor.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
My 13 R/T did this a few times, if I was going about 30 MPH. Felt like it was falling flat on it's face. I tried the fuse pull trick, that seemed to help. This was 2 Challengers ago, so I don't know if she still does this.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Trans fluid look good?
No codes?
Hmm....??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All fluids look good, no burnt smell, no codes, no lights, no noises. Like I said, the only anomaly was the low tire pressure in the driver's rear tire.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Don't see anything here that mentions tire pressure. Did you get a reduced power light?
Oops you already said no lights.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
With everything appearing normal. No codes and running normally. I would just drive it until it does it again.
Intermittent issues like this can be very elusive. Unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
It sounds like a VSS (speed sensor) - an A5 (with this 2014) will rev limit to 4K if in Park or Neutral since there's no corresponding VSS signal.

probably want to have it scanned - there could be intermittent codes stored in the TCM (trans module) that might point out what faults are creating this

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
OK, so it's an automatic, but I would think if it was the trans slipping, the RPM's would go a hell of a lot higher than 4K at WOT, right? No weird noises, burning smells, idiot lights, nothing. And just to finish out the story, after I aired up the tire the next morning, It stopped doing it.
I'm telling you, it didn't seem to be slipping, it just stopped at 4000 rpm with the pedal on the floor.
Hi Jmallen01,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you’re experiencing. If you decide to address this concern with your certified Dodge dealer, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

Reactions: 18PCPGT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Which transmission? If manual, clutch sounds shot.
That is the manual trans drivers nightmare. Driving habits are usually the cause for premature clutch replacement. Clutch wear issues will make a guy mad as a bucket of red spiders. The clutch is a maintenance part like tires oil and so on.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger T/A 392 A8
91 Posts
Mine did something similar after rev'ing it up in park too much. After a key cycle, it worked fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts