Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cuz it just raped my car! Sorry so vulgar, but you would understand if you were in my shoes. My service advisor isn't the brightest, and hasn't officially claimed it the infamous timing chain failure, but I'm about 90 percent sure its the problem...i have a 2010 RTC with 42k auto no mods and used mobil 1 synthetic with Mopar filter at 4-5k changes.it all happened Saturday around noon after driving home early from work due to bad weather. It was raining so hard on my way home I couldn't get past 60. Then I hear a chime and my dash lights up like a Christmas tree. CEL and ETC lights come one and the car goes into limp mode right outside of Austin driving northbound on I35. Luckily there wasnt much traffic and I was able to barely make it to the shoulder with about 2feet to spare outside of the line. In pouring rain. All I could do was pray no one plowed me into a nice torred crushed soda can while I waited for the tow truck. I got it towed home and checked the codes. 0340 and 2172. Camshaft positioning sensor assembly and something about a vaccum leak. Took it to south point dodge in Austin and finally got the horrible news. I'll he getting in contact with that Chrysler fellow who is tracking all the tc failures....ugh guess I was bad this year cuz Santa didn't even bother to leave me coals..instead he sent my car to the service dept for a few weeks. Better luck next year

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Sorry to hear man. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: timing chain failure confirmed.. after 2 long weeks the dealership is finally taking care of my baby. Again, the service advisor was not the greatest at relaying the info from the service tech, but he was able to tell me that they weren't going to replace the pistons. On the other end, The Chrysler guys were amazing! Big ups to Pietro and his crew, well, just a gentleman by the name of Steve. He made sure I was taken care of, even on his days off. I'm sure this wouldn't have taken so long if it didn't happen during the holidays, but I'm ready to get back to my hemi and get out of the dart rental they set me up in. Question, should I demand they replace the pistons?

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
UPDATE: timing chain failure confirmed.. after 2 long weeks the dealership is finally taking care of my baby. Again, the service advisor was not the greatest at relaying the info from the service tech, but he was able to tell me that they weren't going to replace the pistons. On the other end, The Chrysler guys were amazing! Big ups to Pietro and his crew, well, just a gentleman by the name of Steve. He made sure I was taken care of, even on his days off. I'm sure this wouldn't have taken so long if it didn't happen during the holidays, but I'm ready to get back to my hemi and get out of the dart rental they set me up in. Question, should I demand they replace the pistons?
Post this on the TC Failure thread that I listed on the previous post. A ton of good info on this.

·
Registered
352 Posts
As long as no material got into the combustion chamber and there's no significant damage to the piston heads (usually the pistons win that fight with the valves pretty handily lol!), I wouldnt have the techs change them out even if they offered. Too many chances for them to screw up ring position, connecting rods, just... ugh. Mo' problems.

Also sorry to hear about this... how frustrating for the auto guys out there! I would basically never buy a charger or 300 due to this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts