Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in Dec, saw something in Autoweek about the IE cars, so promptly put down a deposit on one of two coming to my Charlotte dealer. Got a printout of what the car , a blue one, had on it, (everything), and found this forum. Was elated to find the link where i could put in my VIN, and I began to follow the progress of my car's build. It was built on Jan 20th, and the link laid out how it would be finished, put on the train, delivered to the depot, and trucked to my dealer mid Jan.

That morning, got up early, saw where it was probably delivered during the night, and called my sales rep, and asked him to walk back around back and find it. It wasn't there. Then he told me he had no info on when it was incoming. Sure enough, the "future" part of the build/ship info was now blank, and it was sitting somewhere in storage, undoubtedly covered in snow.

I kept checking the link, and it just sat there, until the 31st, when it was at Ground Effects, in the "body shop." I was fearful that it had dropped off the car carrier, and now it needed new panel and paint, or worse! So i looked on this forum, and was relieved that all the cars go to the "body shop", and figured they couldn't all be damaged. Maybe it is a sort of car Spa or something, where they are pampered or the like. But i felt better.

It was suggested by someone that the Vehicle Status report was updated once at night. So, often i would get up in the night, and tip toe to the computer, and fire it up, just to check if there was some progress. But no, my Blue/white car just seemed to be abandoned up north of the border. At work, i would many times click on the link, until i just resigned myself that it would arrive when it would arrive.

In the mornings, i would hurry to work and before i took off my jacket, open my computer, and click on the link. Daily, often, click on the link. My car just sat there, inert, lifeless, getting condensation in the icy oil. Maybe by now they had cleared the lot of snow, and piled it on my car, and it would be lost until the spring thaw. (Such a thing happened to a car of mine once in Minn, i could scarcely chip it out from under that huge pile!)

So, as usual, first thing, then during the day, click, "ship to body vender JB", line after line. No future nothing.

But today, shortly after lunch at my desk, (I am on a diet because of a recent elevated blood sugar, so no out lunches for me, just a sliver of cold chicken), reached over, clicked the link, scanned down and THERE IT WAS!!!

'hold released"

and the Future says it should be on the train in a day, and heading South to Charlotte, perhaps rolling off the truck on Feb 21st!

I watched the Challenger build on NGO the other day, then replayed it again, and watching that red car being driven on the show made me really, really want my car.

I am selling my 140K miles Superformance 427 Cobra replica to get this car, so obviously it means a lot to me, replicating my '69 Charger 440ci R/T.

Now, my only worry is the transport driver will back it into a concrete wall when it comes off the transporter.

As always,

all the best.....

·
Banned
583 Posts
I am sooo lucky to have found the exact model/color and options that I wanted within a hundred miles from me, I don't know how I could have dealt without tracking my new car.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Back in Dec, saw something in Autoweek about the IE cars, so promptly put down a deposit on one of two coming to my Charlotte dealer. Got a printout of what the car , a blue one, had on it, (everything), and found this forum. Was elated to find the link where i could put in my VIN, and I began to follow the progress of my car's build. It was built on Jan 20th, and the link laid out how it would be finished, put on the train, delivered to the depot, and trucked to my dealer mid Jan.

That morning, got up early, saw where it was probably delivered during the night, and called my sales rep, and asked him to walk back around back and find it. It wasn't there. Then he told me he had no info on when it was incoming. Sure enough, the "future" part of the build/ship info was now blank, and it was sitting somewhere in storage, undoubtedly covered in snow.

I kept checking the link, and it just sat there, until the 31st, when it was at Ground Effects, in the "body shop." I was fearful that it had dropped off the car carrier, and now it needed new panel and paint, or worse! So i looked on this forum, and was relieved that all the cars go to the "body shop", and figured they couldn't all be damaged. Maybe it is a sort of car Spa or something, where they are pampered or the like. But i felt better.

It was suggested by someone that the Vehicle Status report was updated once at night. So, often i would get up in the night, and tip toe to the computer, and fire it up, just to check if there was some progress. But no, my Blue/white car just seemed to be abandoned up north of the border. At work, i would many times click on the link, until i just resigned myself that it would arrive when it would arrive.

In the mornings, i would hurry to work and before i took off my jacket, open my computer, and click on the link. Daily, often, click on the link. My car just sat there, inert, lifeless, getting condensation in the icy oil. Maybe by now they had cleared the lot of snow, and piled it on my car, and it would be lost until the spring thaw. (Such a thing happened to a car of mine once in Minn, i could scarcely chip it out from under that huge pile!)

So, as usual, first thing, then during the day, click, "ship to body vender JB", line after line. No future nothing.

But today, shortly after lunch at my desk, (I am on a diet because of a recent elevated blood sugar, so no out lunches for me, just a sliver of cold chicken), reached over, clicked the link, scanned down and THERE IT WAS!!!

'hold released"

and the Future says it should be on the train in a day, and heading South to Charlotte, perhaps rolling off the truck on Feb 21st!

I watched the Challenger build on NGO the other day, then replayed it again, and watching that red car being driven on the show made me really, really want my car.

I am selling my 140K miles Superformance 427 Cobra replica to get this car, so obviously it means a lot to me, replicating my '69 Charger 440ci R/T.

Now, my only worry is the transport driver will back it into a concrete wall when it comes off the transporter.

As always,

all the best.....
I hear you Hal, I check mine about 10x a day. :D One of my friends joked that mine will fall off the transport. I asked him if he had a death wish. :cowtounge:

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
My FF SRT8 Challenger sat in Twin Oaks PA for 9 days to be transported to a dealership only 100 miles away. The other Challenger I had a hold on was supposed to be delivered before the aforementioned one, & didn't arrive to a different dealership until almost a month later. I know carrier companies won't make a delivery run until their trucks are full, so sometimes the updating status is very frustrating. I hope your car arrives without any problems.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ha, I remember the nightmares when I had ordered a 1967 Cougar,the first GT390 in the area. No computers but on the lphone three times a day. Then one day sitting in my office, I saw it on a transporter going through town. I jumped in my department cruiser and with redlights caught up to it and followed it to the dealer. I have not ordered a vehicle since. I could not stand the suspense.

Congrats on your new dream. I hope you have many safe and troublefree miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,975 Posts
You are not alone. I had a similar experience with the build and delivery of my SRT. After being built it sat in the Brampton lot. Then it was shipped to the Upfit Center in Windsor for the hood stripes where it sat. Then it was shipped to a holding area in Detroit where it sat some more. Finally, my dealer, Bob Frederick had to ask a favor to get it "hot ticketed" to his dealership. Bob said that it was ridiculous that buyers and dealers have to go through this.

I liked tracking the build on the Unofficial Challenger Registry, but sometimes I thought that the old way was better (i.e., less stressful). You order the car and forget about it for 4-6 weeks, until the dealer calls to say it has arrived.

That being said, after my car arrived, I printed out the build and delivery chronolgy from the Registry. It makes a great way to document your car.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My FF SRT8 Challenger sat in Twin Oaks PA for 9 days to be transported to a dealership only 100 miles away. The other Challenger I had a hold on was supposed to be delivered before the aforementioned one, & didn't arrive to a different dealership until almost a month later. I know carrier companies won't make a delivery run until their trucks are full, so sometimes the updating status is very frustrating. I hope your car arrives without any problems.
Don't tell me that, mine is going through Twin Oaks eventually. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts