Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That sweet active exhaust sound sold me!!!!

2018 TorRed, Auto (always wanted a red one)

This is my 3rd Challenger after my Rallye Redline Silver 2014 and Jazz Blue 2016 SXT Plus with purple stripes.

The 2018 has the Black Top package (no black stripe for 2018 anymore I guess?) and the Drivers Convenience Group with the Blind Spot monitoring in the mirrors (all Challengers should have this feature imop)

Anyway runs great and no tick yet!!! :grin2: Will try to post pics tomorrow in the daylight!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
Congrats :thumbsup: The 2018 Blacktop still includes a stripe, and an option to delete for $0

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
The 2018 has the Black Top package (no black stripe for 2018 anymore I guess?) and the Drivers Convenience Group with the Blind Spot monitoring in the mirrors (all Challengers should have this feature imop)
Blacktop Stripe must be ordered - its not part of BT package by default any longer - probably had a high percentage of orders as "stripe delete" and product planners decided to change the options around.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
Hmmm, website still shows the stripe as part of the package, and the delete as a zero $ option. A Guy

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
I'm looking now at 2018 on SXT and R/T, base and Plus, and it shows Blacktop comes without the stripe and the stripe is a no extra cost option. Definitely new and different from 2017 and before.

Wonder if all the other packages are still available, Satin Vapor, California, Southwest, Southeast?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
Just realized if you search Dodge Challenger, it's still the 2017s, you have to click on 2018 to get them, and yes, they have changed it :7:

A Guy

Reactions: Slidd

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's some pics.....I'm gonna swap for the polished honeycomb wheels on my blue SXT though.
I like the gloss black wheels but I like the polished ones better.

Attachments

Reactions: Fawls

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wife says I'm gonna get a ticket in this Red car........come to think of it I did get a few tickets when I had Red cars, better slow down. >:)

Man that active exhaust note sounds so mean I rarely take it out of Sport Mode!!

This 18 Hemi shifts MUCH smoother than my 2016 8 speed with the V6, no jerking or rough harsh shifting when cold at all.

I did the wheel swap, I'll post some comparo pics soon.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice ride!

I don't even have a challenger yet. My last "muscle" was a red Galaxie 500 w/ a hot 390. I got tickets for the stupidest things. First ticket was crossing across a 2-lane one-way street (with no traffic) to continue going straight. Like, really? Second ticket was a felony "reckless driving" by chirping my tires while accelerating to 25 MPH. The cop that pulled me over was cool and let me off with a warning. We actually stood around and chatted about the car a lot. The problem, is that a week later I got a felony driving ticket in the mail...his boss "overruled" him, and all of a sudden I was a criminal.

I'm so hardcore..jeeze.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That sweet active exhaust sound sold me!!!!

2018 TorRed, Auto (always wanted a red one)

This is my 3rd Challenger after my Rallye Redline Silver 2014 and Jazz Blue 2016 SXT Plus with purple stripes.

Anyway runs great and no tick yet!!! :grin2: Will try to post pics tomorrow in the daylight!
Great color...congrats! I just picked up a 2018 R/T 5.7L in Destroyer Gray last week...traded in my 2015 Scat Pack. My lease was up and was trying to get my payments down a little. As far as the exhaust note, I must say that on the new car it is much different, and all for the better. Much deeper and throatier sound. It sounds outstanding. I was very surprised when I started it up the first time at the dealer...I was expecting similar to my '15, but was noticeably more aggressive sounding. Also, in sport mode the active exhaust seems to be open much more of the time than my '15. On the '15, it was mostly noticeable only at or near WOT. The last difference is how the cold start sounds...my '15 would have a hellacious bark first thing in the morning. And I live in a townhome community, so had to do remote starts with the garage door closed at 5:30am. The '18 doesn't seem to bark as loud...it seems to start more "gently" if that makes any sense.

Anyway, enjoy your new machine! I'm loving my'18 so far as well. It has the same 230mm rear end my SP had (both A8's), but it seems quieter. I had to swap out the diff fluid in the '15 with 75-90 Royal Purple...helped a little.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Great color...congrats! I just picked up a 2018 R/T 5.7L in Destroyer Gray last week...traded in my 2015 Scat Pack. My lease was up and was trying to get my payments down a little. As far as the exhaust note, I must say that on the new car it is much different, and all for the better. Much deeper and throatier sound. It sounds outstanding. I was very surprised when I started it up the first time at the dealer...I was expecting similar to my '15, but was noticeably more aggressive sounding. Also, in sport mode the active exhaust seems to be open much more of the time than my '15. On the '15, it was mostly noticeable only at or near WOT. The last difference is how the cold start sounds...my '15 would have a hellacious bark first thing in the morning. And I live in a townhome community, so had to do remote starts with the garage door closed at 5:30am. The '18 doesn't seem to bark as loud...it seems to start more "gently" if that makes any sense.

Anyway, enjoy your new machine! I'm loving my'18 so far as well. It has the same 230mm rear end my SP had (both A8's), but it seems quieter. I had to swap out the diff fluid in the '15 with 75-90 Royal Purple...helped a little.

Cheers!
It's the same system as your '15 Scat Pack minus the shorty headers your 392 had and the fact that the 5.7 has a slightly higher pitched growl due to the lower displacement. The 5.7s sound good with the active but it shouldn't be any louder than your '15 was. Perhaps it sounds different if you had a manual on your Scat Pack since the 8 speeds fire up with a higher RPM burst and are initially louder for a moment than the 6 speeds are at start up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's the same system as your '15 Scat Pack minus the shorty headers your 392 had and the fact that the 5.7 has a slightly higher pitched growl due to the lower displacement. The 5.7s sound good with the active but it shouldn't be any louder than your '15 was. Perhaps it sounds different if you had a manual on your Scat Pack since the 8 speeds fire up with a higher RPM burst and are initially louder for a moment than the 6 speeds are at start up.
Very true, the 6.4L has the shorty headers that the 5.7L doesn't have. Between that and the smaller displacement, I wasn't expecting it to sound as good as my SP. Before the SP, I had a '14 R/T (5.7L/A5), which was a church mouse by comparison. Both my '15 and '18 are A8's. The '18 definitely has a deeper note while driving...to me at least. I know the actives were working correctly on my SP also...I did a lot of remote starts behind the vehicle, and could hear the valves exercise about 5-10 seconds after starting. Big kudos to FCA for this improvement on the 5.7...it sounds like a Hemi should now!

Reactions: MuscleCarProf

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
There's some differences in the exhaust tuning for 5.7 AES vs. the 6.4 - I know a couple of the engineers. Was at the "mother ship" this past summer - his comment was the 5.7's exhaust (with whatever components were used) sounded better than the 392's.

He gets to drive various vehicles for evaluation - when we met up, he had a Torred '17 SP Shaker M6 to drive around at that point.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
There's some differences in the exhaust tuning for 5.7 AES vs. the 6.4 - I know a couple of the engineers. Was at the "mother ship" this past summer - his comment was the 5.7's exhaust (with whatever components were used) sounded better than the 392's.

He gets to drive various vehicles for evaluation - when we met up, he had a Torred '17 SP Shaker M6 to drive around at that point.
Interesting info. I had not heard that. I will say that having heard a 5.7 R/T with the new exhaust, that I thought it was impressive and had more of a higher pitched snarl than my exhaust. I attributed that to the displacement and manifolds.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts