Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its suppose to be nice this weekend so ill take the wife for one last ride then its time to put baby away for the winter. Little early but with deer season comming i dont have time to play with it anyway.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
4,910 Posts
Enjoy your ride before your baby takes her winter nap. Dreaming of its spring awakening. :p Good luck with deer season.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
Geez, where do you live?

Reactions: Jeffroeson

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
Enjoy the ride, my Mrs has been in my Challenger less than 6 times in all the 8 years that I have it.
The upside is peace and quiet while enjoying the exhaust note.

·
Registered
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
723 Posts
Its suppose to be nice this weekend so ill take the wife for one last ride then its time to put baby away for the winter. Little early but with deer season comming i dont have time to play with it anyway.
Well that's too bad.

If you were my neighbor, I'd say your "get yur ass" in yur Challenger more often.

Deer, possum, raccoon, skunk.......they don't care when you drive.

And of course, you're not me.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
970 Posts
Better to put it away than get a deer with it. When I had a body shop one customer got 2 deer in one day. One with his truck and the other with his wife's car. Ironically both while traveling to his deer hunting spot.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Better to put it away than get a deer with it. When I had a body shop one customer got 2 deer in one day. One with his truck and the other with his wife's car. Ironically both while traveling to his deer hunting spot.
the 2020 ram is in the body shop right now but not for a deer although i did hit one with just the spoiler this year. Heres a story that will give you a chuckle. We do crop damage deer culling from the first of sept to the first of oct. We shot two big does one night and came home and dropped one off with my buddy who hunts with me and the other i took home. As usual i parked outside the pole barn and left the deer in the back till morning (its 11pm by the time we get home) when i drag them into the barn and butcher. Well i got up the next morning and looked in the back of the truck and the deer was gone!! I figured right away someone must have needed it more then me and stole it during the night. Then i walked around to the other side of the truck and the box had 4 dents about the size of a soft ball and scratches all over it and hair all and blood all over the bed rail. Now i was really shaking my head. I started looking around and found a bear track about 5 yards from the truck. Got my dog out and he took off on the trail and we tracked it for about a 1/4 mile and found the half ate deer in the swamp back behind the house. Estimate on the truck was 3400 bucks! Truck is a 4x4 ram with an off road packages so it sits even a inch higher then most and the tail gate was up so that bear actually jumped up into the box over the side of the fender and drug that 110lb deer out. I know the bear. It had been in the yard a few times and i saw it twice. It went between 350 and 400lbs. BIG black bear. We have bear every year around the yard but this is the first time i ever heard of something like this happening. I know the girl at the insurance agency and she said we should put it on that tv commercial for odd claims. As to deer? up here more people have hit a deer then have not. Ive hit 4 in my life and have had at least a dozen close calls. My partner at work bought a new 4x4 ford and hit 3 in the first 6 months he had it. 2 of them in the first month. Guess it could be worse. We could be having close calls with crack addicts on the corner of the crappy citys some have to live in. Wasnt till last year that we even had a 4 lane road within a 150 miles of me. Now theres a 30 mile stretch about 60 miles from here.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
UP of michigan where when the snow comes the SALT comes too.
Ah, gotcha. My sister lives in Harrison (middle of the glove), and she says when the snow comes, the snow stays. I never asked about salt there. a few years ago I did a figure 6 through the great lakes, and driving through the UP, I saw all these odd trails with concrete strips across asphalt roads, took me a while to realize it was all for snowmobiles. Neat area, and a motel I stayed in, they pretty much immediately asked if I was from Pittsburgh area! I wasn't dropping any n'at or yinz, but apparently the way I saw "while" was enough for them.
Here in the 'Burgh, we can get snow any week, typically Halloween on, but it comes and goes. A couple good winter rain storms to wash away the salt, and then a warm day, and you see all kinds of cool cars on the roads in January even.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It’s just starting to get good here. November in central Florida is the best. COVID killed the local car shows here but Turkey Run is coming up the end of November. I’m hoping it attracts a lot of people.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
advantage is my car is a 2011 and has only 20k on it. Disadvantage is my car is a 2011 and only has 20k on it!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
the 2020 ram is in the body shop right now but not for a deer although i did hit one with just the spoiler this year. Heres a story that will give you a chuckle. We do crop damage deer culling from the first of sept to the first of oct. We shot two big does one night and came home and dropped one off with my buddy who hunts with me and the other i took home. As usual i parked outside the pole barn and left the deer in the back till morning (its 11pm by the time we get home) when i drag them into the barn and butcher. Well i got up the next morning and looked in the back of the truck and the deer was gone!! I figured right away someone must have needed it more then me and stole it during the night. Then i walked around to the other side of the truck and the box had 4 dents about the size of a soft ball and scratches all over it and hair all and blood all over the bed rail. Now i was really shaking my head. I started looking around and found a bear track about 5 yards from the truck. Got my dog out and he took off on the trail and we tracked it for about a 1/4 mile and found the half ate deer in the swamp back behind the house. Estimate on the truck was 3400 bucks! Truck is a 4x4 ram with an off road packages so it sits even a inch higher then most and the tail gate was up so that bear actually jumped up into the box over the side of the fender and drug that 110lb deer out. I know the bear. It had been in the yard a few times and i saw it twice. It went between 350 and 400lbs. BIG black bear. We have bear every year around the yard but this is the first time i ever heard of something like this happening. I know the girl at the insurance agency and she said we should put it on that tv commercial for odd claims. As to deer? up here more people have hit a deer then have not. Ive hit 4 in my life and have had at least a dozen close calls. My partner at work bought a new 4x4 ford and hit 3 in the first 6 months he had it. 2 of them in the first month. Guess it could be worse. We could be having close calls with crack addicts on the corner of the crappy citys some have to live in. Wasnt till last year that we even had a 4 lane road within a 150 miles of me. Now theres a 30 mile stretch about 60 miles from here.
Is that one sentence? :p

A Guy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Southern New England ,, We dont normally get snow till after December Now is the most breathtaking cruising time,, Fall colors are Amazing the next 30 days in the back roads here . Try to keep riding my Motorcycles and car till the Salt hits the road . Just picked up a 2009 SRT8 3 months ago from the Owner of a dealership in Mass , sat in his showroom for 10 years heated . 14 K miles never been in the rain Never been Salted down either .Hope to drive it a little more than the last guy, It should be a classic in about 40 years put 500 miles on it in 3 months . I wont be here lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here in eastern NC the snow is hit and miss each year. If it does I just work from home as I usually do anyway. To many people here have no idea how to drive in the rain, let alone if there is even a dusting of snow on the road. As long as the roads are dry in the winter i'll drive. If they were salted, even if it was a couple of days prior, I stay off of them until the inevitable rain comes and washes it away. I do miss Florida, where I am from. All-year go out and enjoy. I plan to move back one day as I prefer the limited cold there. The state can be a nut house but I have a very specific small beachside town that I like and it actually affordable to buy a house in.

Funny story about a deer. Never had that issue in Florida due to where I lived. Moved to NC and was here for 4 years and finally had a run-in. Was driving on a backroad next to the woods and something caught the corner of my eye and it was a deer coming up and running alongside of the car. I had slow down and then he cut in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and literally hit him the exact moment the car stopped. The hit sent him through he air spiraling while crapping the whole time. Most surreal thing and it played out in slow motion that I can still vividly see to this day 10 years later. He landed on the side of the road and I went to pull over to check on him and the car. I walked over and it looked like I had killed him. Went back to the car to check it and to call the the state to come collect him. Just as I get to the car he jumps up, starts taking another huge dump, then runs away across the road back into the woods. I was driving my wife's Passat wagon at the time and was sure I had messed up the front. when I looked there was literally no damage and just hair stuck in the bumper gaps and grill along with deer poop all over the front of the car. I was doing about 30 to 35 on the road and I guess the timing of hitting the deer just as the car stopped was enough to prevent any damage. I have always been even more cautious around woods since then. Have had a few run out in front of me but have always had planters of time to react and avoid them.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think one day i had a couple from SC thinking they were in a deliverance movie. I was heading 40 miles to the town i grew up in to visit the parents. Got about 5 miles from home and was going through a tiny tourist town and came around a corner and a car was sitting in the road. I had to lay on the brakes to avoid hitting them. Got out to ask the problem and right away saw they had hit a deer. It was still alive but must have had a broken back because all that could move was the front legs. The lady was balling and the guy was in a panic. I calmly said id take care of it walked back to my truck got my glock 23 our of the glove box and walked over and shot it in the head. The lady screamed "what did you do!!" I said i put it down. She said she thought i was going to call someone to help. I laughed and said the ambulance service here doesnt pick up deer. Then to top it all off i went and got my knife and cut the hind quarters and back straps out of it. Shoulders were ruined from the hip. By this time my wife is even shaking her head and the women jumped in her car. I asked the guy if he wanted some of the meat and he started gagging and hopped in there car and took off like a mad man!!!!! Dad was happy though. He got fresh venison that day for supper. I often wonder how that story went when that yuppy told it to his friends!!

Had about the opposite happen this year coming home from crop damage shooting. We already had two deer in the back of the truck and came up on a lady with her flashers on on the side of the road. We stopped to see if we could help and she said she hit a deer and it was dead. She was a local from that town. I asked her how we could help and she said she was all right but wasnt going to leave until someone made use of that deer. So we gutted it and tossed it in with the other two. Amazingly the only thing damaged was the head. got her address and told her i make some of the best venison summer sausage on the planet and if she wanted some id send her a stick or two. Last week i sent out two sticks to her.

I know the people from the south dont care for the northern tourists but we sure shake our heads at the ones from the south that come up here. I think more then where your from its the fact that tourists going both ways are mostly city people wanting to get away from the rat race for a couple weeks and citys are just full of liberal yuppies. Be they from the north or the south.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts