Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will keep it short and simple gents I have never been and I wanted to go, must say it is addicting and cant wait to go again real soon.

I took out my 2017 392 Scat Pack Shaker to the 1/4 mile drag with some buddies over the weekend weather was about 67 degrees at Fontana Speedway.

My car is stock other then a AFE throttle body spacer, dynomax mini bullet mufflers, 275/40/20 Kumho Escata PS91 on the rears and no rear seats.

Had the hardest time off the line trying to get good launches but other then that very happy with the results for a 1st timer.

If anyone in the Southern California area is interested in going I am planning another one of these with a larger group of friends for next month, let me know so you can join us.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The very first run I did I was pretty impressed. Total of 8 runs couldnt get quicker then 12.7 due to bad launches.

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
The very first run I did I was pretty impressed. Total of 8 runs couldnt get quicker then 12.7 due to bad launches.
You have to remember Fontana is 13 ft up hill so from what I have seen if you went to bakersfeild on there flat track in the 1/4 mile you would be about .2 quicker. If you can go to Irwindale and run there 1/8 mile and compare it with Fontana 1/8 mile. Irwindale also has a better starting pad and there altitude is 380 ft compared to Fontana 1250 ft. Your 2.05 60' is pertty good and take off that AFE T/B spacer and use it for a paper wt as there no help and also pull out your air filter as this will lean down your rich stock tune. Put 25lbs air in front tires and 42 up front. Launch at 1000 rpm and roll into the gas. At Irwindale you might hit 1.90s 60' with a good prepared starting pad. Good luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have to remember Fontana is 13 ft up hill so from what I have seen if you went to bakersfeild on there flat track in the 1/4 mile you would be about .2 quicker. If you can go to Irwindale and run there 1/8 mile and compare it with Fontana 1/8 mile. Irwindale also has a better starting pad and there altitude is 380 ft compared to Fontana 1250 ft. Your 2.05 60' is pertty good and take off that AFE T/B spacer and use it for a paper wt.
Thanks for the advice. We were going to go to irwindale but as a group we decided 1/8 wouldnt be as much fun as the 1/4. Fontana is only 40 minutes away from us. Bakersfield sounds great but thats just too far of a drive.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Being your first time, you did great! Looks like you have the 8-speed auto? There's a lot left in the car and a lot of little prep things you can do to whittle your time down, but that all comes with experience and practice.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Just for reference, here's what I ran a few weeks ago at 5300 feet elevation, the DA was 6200. This was on 275 street tires(Toyo Proxes T1 Sport) and my car is basically all stock except for the Hellcat air box and filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just for reference, here's what I ran a few weeks ago at 5300 feet elevation, the DA was 6200. This was on 275 street tires(Toyo Proxes T1 Sport) and my car is basically all stock except for the Hellcat air box and filter.
Those are dam good times for that altitude.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being your first time, you did great! Looks like you have the 8-speed auto? There's a lot left in the car and a lot of little prep things you can do to whittle your time down, but that all comes with experience and practice.
Yep its a A8.

Thanks, I knew the car had more in it I just couldn't get the launch down correctly. Like you said practice and experience will help me learn and and get quicker times.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm going this Sunday to (edit) Fontana as it's the last day for racing for the year. (According to their calendar of events)
I expect it'll be packed, but what the hell.
I'm hoping to beat my best of 12.63 @ 113, we'll see.
Last time out I ran a 12.68 @ 110 best back in the spring. (April)
Going to use a can of Torco Octane boost - see if that works.
Remove the air filter, lower tire pressure in the back to 24, fronts up to 40.

Also I'm going to the Cars-n-Coffee in San Clemente this Saturday from 9am-11am.
Look for my car, I'll be happy to join up with any fellow Challengers/Chargers!

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
762 Posts
I took my Scat Pack to Atlanta Dragway last Friday night. First (and best) run was 12.60 at 112. The next 4 runs were each slower than the previous runs due to deteriorating track conditions as well as heavy dew. Current mods are MT Drag Radials and Tazer which enabled Track mode. It was my first time on a drag strip in over 40 years. I was pretty rusty and failed to get the tires heated properly which caused poor launches with too much wheel spin. It was a lot of fun, already looking forward to next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts