Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And now I have a very annoying squeak. Sounds like a belt slipping and only occurs at 1900 rpms up. Replaced the belt, idler, and tensioner pulley, still squeaking.
The only other thing I can think to try is to blast behind each accessory with some WD-40 and see if that helps.
I just completed a build and forgot to attach the belly pan before I took it to the car wash.
Anyone had a similar problem?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
And now I have a very annoying squeak. Sounds like a belt slipping and only occurs at 1900 rpms up. Replaced the belt, idler, and tensioner pulley, still squeaking.
The only other thing I can think to try is to blast behind each accessory with some WD-40 and see if that helps.
I just completed a build and forgot to attach the belly pan before I took it to the car wash.
Anyone had a similar problem?
Don't use WD40. Best advice I can offer is get the car in the air with the noise present -- and the belly pan off -- and locate the source of the noise. Where the noise is coming from will give you a clue as to what is going on.

Normally I'd "guess" the problem the noise is coming from an idler roller bearing or a tensioner roller bearing. Did you replace all idler roller and tensioner bearings?

If you just completed a build an accessory drive may be misaligned.

Did you replace the water pump?

Is the power steering fluid level good?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't use WD40. Best advice I can offer is get the car in the air with the noise present -- and the belly pan off -- and locate the source of the noise. Where the noise is coming from will give you a clue as to what is going on.

Normally I'd "guess" the problem the noise is coming from an idler roller bearing or a tensioner roller bearing. Did you replace all idler roller and tensioner bearings?

If you just completed a build an accessory drive may be misaligned.

Did you replace the water pump?

Is the power steering fluid level good?
I swapped the idler and the tensioner pulleys (one at a time) with no change to the noise. I didn't try swapping the idler assembly.

I thought about mis-alignment, but this only started after the car wash. And I spent a large amount of time lining up the pulleys, I had to fabricate a bracket to secure the A/C compressor.
If the belt starts showing signs of abnormal wear that may be something to look at. If it had started squeaking immediately I would've suspected misalignment, but the car had been running for a few days before i hit the wash and got the sqeak.
Something else worth noting: the noise is only present from 1700 rpms up, no squeak at idle. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on it.
I tried switch the A/C on & off to see if load had any effect on it (and to eliminate the clutch bearing as a suspect) but there was no change.

New mopar water pump.

The power steering reservoir is full.

I may take it a shop and say "fix it", perhaps they will be able to identify the problem and give me a quote. then i'll know what needs to be done.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I swapped the idler and the tensioner pulleys (one at a time) with no change to the noise. I didn't try swapping the idler assembly.

I thought about mis-alignment, but this only started after the car wash. And I spent a large amount of time lining up the pulleys, I had to fabricate a bracket to secure the A/C compressor.
If the belt starts showing signs of abnormal wear that may be something to look at. If it had started squeaking immediately I would've suspected misalignment, but the car had been running for a few days before i hit the wash and got the sqeak.
Something else worth noting: the noise is only present from 1700 rpms up, no squeak at idle. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on it.
I tried switch the A/C on & off to see if load had any effect on it (and to eliminate the clutch bearing as a suspect) but there was no change.

New mopar water pump.

The power steering reservoir is full.

I may take it a shop and say "fix it", perhaps they will be able to identify the problem and give me a quote. then i'll know what needs to be done.
I don't think the wash had anything to do with the appearance of the noise. (One of my previous cars, a Porsche 996 Turbo, with its rather exposed engine used to get its long serpentine belt wet when I washed the car or the car was out in the rain. Upon engine start the belt would slip -- I could tell by the in dash battery voltage gauge reading which was low because the belt wasn't turning the alternator. Surprisingly, or maybe not, but the belt was rather quiet. I'd maybe hear a chirp or two as the belt/pulleys shed the water and the belt began to grip. Certainly the effects of the water were short lived.)

The only persistent noises I've heard from the accessory drive area of any of the cars I've owned has been from my Turbo. First time I heard a "dry bearing" sound. On the lift a tech and I located the noise from up high on the engine. I drove the car back home (from Fresno to Livermore) and then booked the car in to the local dealer. There the tech id'd the noise as coming from the idler roller bearing next to the power steering pump. Had the tech replace all the idler roller bearings and the tensioner roller bearing.

The 2nd time -- after maybe 100K miles -- after cold start I'd hear the occasional "chirp" but these times I heard the noise the accessory belt and pulleys were dry. Turned out to be an idler roller bearing. I don't recall which one. Like before I had the tech replace all idler roller bearings and the tensioner roller bearing.

Just because the squeak didn't appear right away I wouldn't necessarily eliminate misalignment.

Unbeknownst to me somehow the V-belt drive system got misaligned in my VW Golf TDi. (I think when I had the car in to have its timing belt replaced at around 80K miles). The V-belt made no noise but the alignment problem caused the belt to after some time wear away enough of the alternator pulley's side to let the belt come off.

I'm really loathe to ignore any noises coming from the engine bay/area so I think your idea of taking it to a shop and letting the shop "fix it" is probably a real good idea. No engine noise ever got better with more engine run time.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the wash had anything to do with the appearance of the noise. (One of my previous cars, a Porsche 996 Turbo, with its rather exposed engine used to get its long serpentine belt wet when I washed the car or the car was out in the rain. Upon engine start the belt would slip -- I could tell by the in dash battery voltage gauge reading which was low because the belt wasn't turning the alternator. Surprisingly, or maybe not, but the belt was rather quiet. I'd maybe hear a chirp or two as the belt/pulleys shed the water and the belt began to grip. Certainly the effects of the water were short lived.)

The only persistent noises I've heard from the accessory drive area of any of the cars I've owned has been from my Turbo. First time I heard a "dry bearing" sound. On the lift a tech and I located the noise from up high on the engine. I drove the car back home (from Fresno to Livermore) and then booked the car in to the local dealer. There the tech id'd the noise as coming from the idler roller bearing next to the power steering pump. Had the tech replace all the idler roller bearings and the tensioner roller bearing.

The 2nd time -- after maybe 100K miles -- after cold start I'd hear the occasional "chirp" but these times I heard the noise the accessory belt and pulleys were dry. Turned out to be an idler roller bearing. I don't recall which one. Like before I had the tech replace all idler roller bearings and the tensioner roller bearing.

Just because the squeak didn't appear right away I wouldn't necessarily eliminate misalignment.

Unbeknownst to me somehow the V-belt drive system got misaligned in my VW Golf TDi. (I think when I had the car in to have its timing belt replaced at around 80K miles). The V-belt made no noise but the alignment problem caused the belt to after some time wear away enough of the alternator pulley's side to let the belt come off.

I'm really loathe to ignore any noises coming from the engine bay/area so I think your idea of taking it to a shop and letting the shop "fix it" is probably a real good idea. No engine noise ever got better with more engine run time.
Agreed. And I understand the water isn't affecting the belt anymore, what I was suggesting is that water intruded into one of the accessories (alternator perhaps) and was causing the issue.
I'll check the alignment again, I already swapped the idler pulley and tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So...after some investigation I think I found the issue.
The 5.7 serpentine belt is a little over 1" longer than the 6.1 version. What that extra 1 inch does is almost max out the tensioners range of motion for keeping the belt tight. I had a guy apply pressure to the tensioner while it was running and the squeaking stopped.
So I purchased a 6.1 belt and installed it, now the tensioner sits in the middle.
I wasn't able to test it while driving yet (It's late and the car is loud) but so far it looks promising. More to follow..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts