Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
other than price what was the reason you chose the Mustang?

i think the exterior is extremely boring...it doesnt stand out anymore

the interior is cool

one thing that always hit me about Fords is how many old ones do you see?
try to find a 1960-70's muscle car from Ford....there are tons of Super Bees and Chevelle's, but how many Torino's or Cyclones are there? almost none is the answer

i had a 1990 Mustang GT...it was in the shop 10-12 x in 3 years-my unibody frame split at a weld when i was rotating tires once..they refused to fix it and refused to say it was my fault or theirs..it just sat in limbo for 1 year until i gave up....there were hundreds of thousands of 5.0's....now how many do you see? i think 100,000 miles and they went into the junkyard....i think long term Fords dont hold up well...my 5.0 sure didnt...maybe they are better today, but they sure were crap back in 1990 (the last Ford i will ever buy(i would buy a Shelby if it were 5 psngr))

they seem to have a great new engine (5.0) and is definately the best bang for the buck right now....your car may be in a junk yard in 7-10 years though...maybe they figured out how to make them last past 100,000 miles by now.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Got any pics?

·
Registered
812 Posts
i had a 1990 Mustang GT...it was in the shop 10-12 x in 3 years
Not to be too much of a smart ass, but that was 20 years ago. Think about what Dodge was putting out 20 years ago... Dodge Shadow? Not exactly the image of reliability there.

In any event, the current Mustang is a great vehicle. I'd argue that it's better put together than our Challengers and with greater emphasis on modern comfort/convenience functions.

I personally love the front end of the Mustang, but not entirely thrilled with the rear end styling. The drivetrain is fantastic, with the new 5.0 V8 being a class leading engine.

The Mustang would have had a spot in my garage if it weren't for the fact that I would actually want to use the rear seats for humans who have legs and that was just impossible.

Also, as a daily driver, the Challenger's ride is much more comfortable than the Mustangs. But for excitement, build, looks, and convenience features, the Mustang is tough to beat.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Personally, I strongly prefer the Mustang over the Camaro based on the better visibility alone. There is no arguing with the great performance and bang for the buck delivered by the new 5.0. Any pix yet?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I bought a 2010 Challenger and a 2010 Mustang. Two entirely different cars. Of course, the Challenger is mine. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree with sean65. My Uncle has a new GT and the front end looks awesome but the rear end doesnt do much for me. The interior is pretty nice, much nicer then the Camaro which I cant stand. The Challengers interior is nicer IMO then the Mustangs, but I dont take anything away from how the Mustang looks since its still decent looking. I'm defintly more of a Mustang fan then Camaro. Nice choice!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I have a 2010 Challenger RT and a 2011 Mustang Shelby GT500. I may get more looks in the Challenger but I get more excitement from the Shelby. I am a car guy, no need to talk down brands.
Congrats on your new car, would love to see pics.

·
Banned
863 Posts
Congrats on the car. I don't like how they look but when I drove one I was impressed.
If Ford had the balls (like Dodge) to produce a 69-70 fastback retro...I would be the first on line. Too bad they design to please girls and boys from 17 - 70.
Enjoy the ride, be careful around high speed turns, I almost took air hitting a bump.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Good choice, nice car. I think all three of the cars mentioned are great in different ways. I too am a car guy and would be happy to have one of each.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Not to be too much of a smart ass, but that was 20 years ago. Think about what Dodge was putting out 20 years ago... Dodge Shadow? Not exactly the image of reliability there.

In any event, the current Mustang is a great vehicle. I'd argue that it's better put together than our Challengers and with greater emphasis on modern comfort/convenience functions.

I personally love the front end of the Mustang, but not entirely thrilled with the rear end styling. The drivetrain is fantastic, with the new 5.0 V8 being a class leading engine.

The Mustang would have had a spot in my garage if it weren't for the fact that I would actually want to use the rear seats for humans who have legs and that was just impossible.

Also, as a daily driver, the Challenger's ride is much more comfortable than the Mustangs. But for excitement, build, looks, and convenience features, the Mustang is tough to beat.
I had a 87 shadow ES turbo. Great little car and was never in the shop once. Maybe mine was the exception

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
grats on the new car and I think you made the right choice over Camaro.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Congrats on the car. I don't like how they look but when I drove one I was impressed.
If Ford had the balls (like Dodge) to produce a 69-70 fastback retro...I would be the first on line. Too bad they design to please girls and boys from 17 - 70.
Enjoy the ride, be careful around high speed turns, I almost took air hitting a bump.
Actually, I thought the design before the current one (2005-2009?) had some decent retro nods. I had thoughts about getting one before the new Challenger concept was unveiled and decided to wait after that. Glad I did :thumbsup: The Mustang was still my second choice if I did not like the Challenger once I test drove it, but thankfully no worries there!

I'm not as fond of the Mustang redesign for 2010+, mostly for cosmetic reasons in the front and rear end.

Congrats on your new car, Nite!

·
Registered
81 Posts

the interior is cool

try to find a 1960-70's muscle car from Ford....there are tons of Super Bees and Chevelle's, but how many Torino's or Cyclones are there? almost none is the answer

i had a 1990 Mustang GT...it was in the shop 10-12 x in 3 years-my unibody frame split at a weld when i was rotating tires once..they refused to fix it and refused to say it was my fault or theirs..it just sat in limbo for 1 year until i gave up....there were hundreds of thousands of 5.0's....now how many do you see? i think 100,000 miles and they went into the junkyard....i think long term Fords dont hold up well...my 5.0 sure didnt...maybe they are better today, but they sure were crap back in 1990 (the last Ford i will ever buy(i would buy a Shelby if it were 5 psngr))

they seem to have a great new engine (5.0) and is definately the best bang for the buck right now....your car may be in a junk yard in 7-10 years though...maybe they figured out how to make them last past 100,000 miles by now.
dont be a hater huggytree? both the challenger and the mustang are fine cars and I have owned both with the newest car in my sig. exterior boring?

·
Registered
714 Posts

the interior is cool

Ford had a serious rust problem in the 1970's. I don't remember why but Ford had to even buy back a lot of them because the owners sued them and won. Now everything in the 1970's rusted like crazy so you could imagine just how bad those Fords were (especially things like the Torino... for some reason the Pinto didn't seem to rot as badly, ah damnit :)) You'd park the car and hear a crinkling sound and it was the metal disintegrating :lol:

It is kind of funny how you see more 1965 Mustangs than all Mustangs from 1974 to 1986 put together :D

But the 2011 Mustang? Wowie wow wow it is probably the first Mustang that is seriously designed as a performance car instead of some machine for office secretaries... even the V6 hauls ass and the V8 even more so. Remember when 90 % of Mustangs had that wheezy Pinto 4 banger, it wasn't long ago, like 1993 :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats

Grats on the new car!!! I fall in with most of the other guys, I just like cars, I have had mustangs, camaros, the challenger is my first Dodge. I drove all 3 before settling on the Challenger, the Mustang would have been my second choice, the wife liked the Camaro best of the 3. Enjoy driving the wheels off of it =)

Charlie

1 - 20 of 41 Posts