Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I waited to get 1500 miles on my Scat Pack and then a vendor sent me an invite to attend HOR (Hooked On Racing)which is a program where they teach you the essentials of track racing. The ins and outs what to do, what to expect and the guidelines. My entire life has been about 1/4 mile racing, point A to Point B and while I am not sure why, I never considered taking any of my cars to the track. Given that I have had an excess of over 65+ cars in my lifetime, to me, driving has always meant big cam, high gears, 4 speed, loud exhaust and keep them wheels straight when the light turns green. Anyhow, I decided to sign up and see how my Scat Pack would do.

The event was at the California Speedway in Fontana. It is a beautiful track and even though the track was modified it included 4 good straightaways and at least 5 sharp turns and a 14 degree banked turn as well. Even though I got there early enough the beginners class was already full so I joined a group of 12 guys who have been around the track a number of times. I got some tips from them, we all did 3 parade laps and then we got off the track and waiting for our turn.

I was nervous and did not know how my car would handle (if that is what you want to call it) but all together I put in at least some 35 laps in the course of 3 sessions in a 4 hour period. The car as we all know was really heavy, the acceleration was incredible and on that track it seemed that I could just stay in 3rd and 4th gear all day but one straightaway warranted 5th gear. The sharp turns were very challenging and despite running with the traction control OFF I felt the car not let me take turns as you are supposed to. The RPMs would drop, the rear tires would definitely not give way to the turn and I found myself having to do too much downshifting in order to get out of the turns. It was loads of fun but at the same time I kept thinking I needed to keep my distance from anyone just in case someone including me had any slip ups. Driving with a helmet on was not an issue since the headrest is made for that and the roof is high enough.

The brakes on the car are amazing! I know there was at least 1 panic stop which lead me to run off the course as I was turning a little too fast, good thing for green plush natural grass to help you come to a soft stop after some sliding. My top speed on the straightaways was 124mph, the motor, tranny, brakes and tires were fantastic and certainly held up for the entire day without issues (thank you) and afterwards I had a nice 75 mile drive home. When I got home I was still on an adrenaline high for another 20 minutes and then all I could think of was taking a nap.

All in all, it was a great event and I had a blast! I am just wondering a couple of things:

1.- How the heck do you turn off traction control altogether?
2.- Is there any aftermarket contraption to install so you have easier control over the parking brake?
3.- I could not tell any difference doing laps after changing the performance settings, how do you tell if they are working or not?
4.- What is the ideal tire pressure for the stock wheels and tires?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
So, I waited to get 1500 miles on my Scat Pack and then a vendor sent me an invite to attend HOR (Hooked On Racing)which is a program where they teach you the essentials of track racing. The ins and outs what to do, what to expect and the guidelines. My entire life has been about 1/4 mile racing, point A to Point B and while I am not sure why, I never considered taking any of my cars to the track. Given that I have had an excess of over 65+ cars in my lifetime, to me, driving has always meant big cam, high gears, 4 speed, loud exhaust and keep them wheels straight when the light turns green. Anyhow, I decided to sign up and see how my Scat Pack would do.

The event was at the California Speedway in Fontana. It is a beautiful track and even though the track was modified it included 4 good straightaways and at least 5 sharp turns and a 14 degree banked turn as well. Even though I got there early enough the beginners class was already full so I joined a group of 12 guys who have been around the track a number of times. I got some tips from them, we all did 3 parade laps and then we got off the track and waiting for our turn.

I was nervous and did not know how my car would handle (if that is what you want to call it) but all together I put in at least some 35 laps in the course of 3 sessions in a 4 hour period. The car as we all know was really heavy, the acceleration was incredible and on that track it seemed that I could just stay in 3rd and 4th gear all day but one straightaway warranted 5th gear. The sharp turns were very challenging and despite running with the traction control OFF I felt the car not let me take turns as you are supposed to. The RPMs would drop, the rear tires would definitely not give way to the turn and I found myself having to do too much downshifting in order to get out of the turns. It was loads of fun but at the same time I kept thinking I needed to keep my distance from anyone just in case someone including me had any slip ups. Driving with a helmet on was not an issue since the headrest is made for that and the roof is high enough.

The brakes on the car are amazing! I know there was at least 1 panic stop which lead me to run off the course as I was turning a little too fast, good thing for green plush natural grass to help you come to a soft stop after some sliding. My top speed on the straightaways was 124mph, the motor, tranny, brakes and tires were fantastic and certainly held up for the entire day without issues (thank you) and afterwards I had a nice 75 mile drive home. When I got home I was still on an adrenaline high for another 20 minutes and then all I could think of was taking a nap.

All in all, it was a great event and I had a blast! I am just wondering a couple of things:

1.- How the heck do you turn off traction control altogether?
2.- Is there any aftermarket contraption to install so you have easier control over the parking brake?
3.- I could not tell any difference doing laps after changing the performance settings, how do you tell if they are working or not?
4.- What is the ideal tire pressure for the stock wheels and tires?

Thanks guys
Glad you had fun! Yea our cars may be big and heavy but they do handle really well for their size.
As for your questions, #1: you have to hold down the traction control button for 5-7 seconds. After that time period your display will chime and say Electronic Stability Control off. When you only press the TC button it takes traction control off but leaves ESC on so what you were feeling was that.
#2 not sure what you mean by better control of the parking brake?
#3 I assume by performance settings you mean like Sport mode and the steering wheel resistance? In sport mode the throttle is more sensitive. I.E. press pedal down 10% of the way and you get 25% throttle. But wide open is still wide open. If being on track you probably didn't notice too much difference in this setting except maybe coming out of a corner. For the steering setting you should notice a difference in the firmness and response of the wheel.
#4 I cant answer because I had aftermarket tires on mine when I did my track day but you do want them a little higher pressure than on the street to keep them from rolling over the edges.

Hope you got hooked and continue to enjoy the car!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Steve37887

I remember my days of spending endless time on slick tracks sliding around turns and such. Growing up I recall having tons of fun sliding around in parking lots in the rain. I had a Mustang II with the emergency brake to the right side of the driver seat. This made it very convenient to hank on the E-Brake and crank the wheel to get the car to go in the right direction. My thought was that perhaps there is some type of contraption that can be retrofitted to the foot E-Brake to make it easier to use by hand vs hand and foot.

either case, I love the car, the look, sound and scents just as well, my Scat Pack keeps my Rumble Bee company and I know I don't think I will ever be without either of my 2 mopars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts