Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I decided to take the Challenger out Wednesday night and go to dinner. We crossed Capital Boulevard from Wake Forest and headed to Wakefield to our favorite Italian restaurant. The quickest way to get there is to use a left turn out lane, to turn left into the shopping center, across the opposite lanes of traffic. I was watching for traffic in the turn out lane, when I saw something in the road. Too late, but I moved right a bit, hoping I missed what I now knew was a open can of paint.

I was pretty confident that I missed the paint, or I hoped that it was dry. No such luck. I pulled the car into the restaurant parking lot and looked over our 2020 Pitch Black wide body---which now has beige paint speckled all over the left side. The paint is on the fender flares, front and back, down the door and up onto the left side mirror.

We drove by the location yesterday, and the can is smashed and paint is all over the road, with two paint tire tracks down the road. One person's carelessness with that can probably caused paint damage to multiple cars. I now wish I had been more proactive about calling the city, or DOT about the can, but I think I was a bit too aggravated at the time to think beyond my own circumstances. I have resigned myself to the more positive thought that at least it was "only" property damage and not something far worse.

I considered several "at home" methods to get rid of the paint. However, as the car only has 900 miles on it, I decided to take it to the local body shop on Monday and let them do it.

·
Super Moderator
17,237 Posts
Its most likely latex paint - with soap and water or isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) alcohol, you can safely remove it.
-uncured latex paint is easiest to remove before its allowed to cure / dry

the car has acrylic polyurethane enamel and alcohol or goof-off (for latex paint) is safe to use on the paint and wheel well liners and wheels if necessary

The important thing is using plenty of clean cloths to remove the paint

·
Registered
536 Posts
I once ran over a can of bright yellow spray paint and had it all over my fender. I used a little gasoline on a rag to take it off.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
This is always a fear of mine. I came across a big patch of white paint not long ago, with all kinds of tracks going through it. Not knowing if it was fresh, I put on my emergency blinkers, and made several lane changes to go around it. I don't care if it made me look like a tool, I try and go around any water on the road too :)

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
883 Posts
My wife got caught behind a line painting truck for a couple miles. It took hours of compounding to get it off.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
I’ll paint any car, any color for $29.95.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You forgot the "thank you" at the end. The last time I heard his commercial a long, long time ago it was up to $39.95. "I'll paint any car any color $39.95 thank you". Gotta love those simple five second commercials.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts

With that Jeep, more like...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,429 Posts
Use these in order of listing:
1) detailer’s clay
2) Goo-Gone
3) Goof-Off
4) lacquer thinner

NOTE: 3 and 4 can harm the paint, so don’t get too aggressive or leave them on too long

Reactions: DaBigJay

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
883 Posts
I remember Cal Worthington and his dog spot from the 70's when I was in the service in California.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The Challenger is at the shop now. They think they can buff off the paint without affecting the clear coat. It may be done today. Interestingly, they asked if I would consent to letting them tow it to one of their other shops if my local shop is too busy to get to it right away. I declined. I don't know why I declined, I guess I do not see any good reason to have it towed if I don't need the car right away.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Unfortunately you should have taken the car to a good detail shop. Body shops fix collision damage, detail shops correct paint problems. I'm not talking about some guy with a Harbor Freight buffer and a worn out wool polishing pad I'm talking about a pro that knows how to correct paint problems without damaging or putting holograms in the paint. Thinking they "buff it off without damaging the clear" tells me they are in over their head. They may get the paint off but more than likely wil have put holograms into the paint (swirl marks that show up in the sun). If that has happened don't freak out it can be fixed but no by the guys who just swirled up paint. Seek out a good professional detailer. Also remember the paint you saw down the side was only a part of the problem a professional detailer would have looked at the wheel wells and put the car on a lift to look at the undercarrige as well, I am sure there is lots of paint there as well. I have no idea where you are located at but you can check out Autogeeks Forum or Apex Detail in PA or AMMO in New York to get an idea, lots of pros out there.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
I would've found the closest quarter car wash and tried to blast it off.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
I remember when my wife drove across a bridge seam that was just painted in our brand new 1988 LeBaron Turbo. When she got home she said it stripped the paint off the car on the side. When I looked it looked like bare metal, ends up it was silver paint. If it wasn't on a plastic part, you would have sworn it was bare the way the edges were.
My friend came over and literally wiped it off with lacquer thinner. Then after cleaning the entire area real good, just waxed over the area, never noticed it again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took it to a body shop recommended by USAA. I was concerned that the whole side was damaged, based on the amount of splatter. They were able to remove all of the paint and it looks fine. Their price was reasonable and I doubt it was much more than a detail shop would have charged. You all have provided excellent impute. I agree that if I could have taken it to a high pressure car wash I might have gotten the paint off. Not knowing much about paint, I was concerned that washing it would not work or it might smudge or streak the paint. Other than being out bit of cash, it appears to have worked out okay. At least the customer service representative told me that the car was a big hit with her technicians, many of whom came over to check it out during the day.

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
I took it to a body shop recommended by USAA. I was concerned that the whole side was damaged, based on the amount of splatter. They were able to remove all of the paint and it looks fine. Their price was reasonable and I doubt it was much more than a detail shop would have charged. You all have provided excellent impute. I agree that if I could have taken it to a high pressure car wash I might have gotten the paint off. Not knowing much about paint, I was concerned that washing it would not work or it might smudge or streak the paint. Other than being out bit of cash, it appears to have worked out okay. At least the customer service representative told me that the car was a big hit with her technicians, many of whom came over to check it out during the day.
Good you didn’t try with a pressure washer, you can do damage with them too. Many times let the professionals do their craft.

Reactions: Stitches1974
1 - 19 of 19 Posts