Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone. I have decided going to get a Magnuson on my 5.7. After thinking about it for a long time I think it’d be best to forge the internals. But while I was searching I came across stroker kits to up the displacement to 392 ci. I can’t really find good answers on this but what’s needed to stroke the 5.7 to 392 ? Just the kit that Arrington sells ? Or do I HAVE to bore the cylinders and machine the block. I’d much rather pay 4.5 k then about 2 k for install and be good to go as a 392 stroked motor. But if I have to do all that I’d rather just get forged pistons and get the supercharger to max boost. Thanks for your time

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,512 Posts
There exists info on how to build up these hemi motors. I recommend you get yourself both of these books:

FWIW around my neck of the woods it is cheaper to buy a pre-built long or short block then to send an engine to a local engine shop.

Oh and if you are making a stroker don't forget tuning costs, they tend to fall in the highly modified section so the tune will cost upwards of +$1000.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
How many miles are on the engine currently?

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,239 Posts
Contact High Horse Performance, a vendor here, and talk to them. They are modern Hemi experts, and will have available whatever you need for the project, including a stroked short block.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There exists info on how to build up these hemi motors. I recommend you get yourself both of these books:

FWIW around my neck of the woods it is cheaper to buy a pre-built long or short block then to send an engine to a local engine shop.

Oh and if you are making a stroker don't forget tuning costs, they tend to fall in the highly modified section so the tune will cost upwards of +$1000.
Geez maybe not that route. 1000 upwards for tune is quite expenses
How many miles are on the engine currently?
82 k

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
At 82k miles I personally wouldnt just drop in a rotating assembly. At the very least hone the walls like the one guy said but you're probably better off just exchanging the block with a built stroker. Ik in my area it's about the same price either way but less work to just swap it out and less risk. The hemi shops (hhp,Arrington,mmx,a2speed,etc.) have done it hundreds of times, your local machine shop may be doing their first stroker on a hemi ever.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The fastest way to do it is to swap out the block. The cheaper route is to buy the components and install yourself if you have the skill set. If you don’t have the skill set or are unsure. You should still come out cheaper buying the complete kit and having a professional install it for you. Tuning no matter how you slice it is going to be expensive especially if you don’t do it yourself. An engine is just a big air pump. The trick is to make it as efficient as possible getting air in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So after deciding back and forth for about as long as I can remember and the more info that comes up. It looks like for hp numbers I want and my personal goals, I’m leaning towards an Arrington 426 long block. I’m still researching what else I’d need and I’m going to my shop Monday . They specialize in Mopar, so I’m going to ask them for Quotes and such. Then I’ll beef up the axles and trans. Does any one know what a 5.7 is worth at what willl be 90 k miles when swapped out?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,512 Posts
Just so you know, the original owners of Arrington sold the biz to Mike Copland. The Arrington site has not changed but bot sure if the service is the same? Bought my SC kit from the original Arrington shop right before they were changing owners and the crew treated me great.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just so you know, the original owners of Arrington sold the biz to Mike Copland. The Arrington site has not changed but bot sure if the service is the same? Bought my SC kit from the original Arrington shop right before they were changing owners and the crew treated me great.

I believe the engine is from shop Hemi or a2 speed

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,512 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shophemi is the Arrington site. A2speed is a different shop. I don't see a 426 long block from Arrington so you might have your sites crossed.

Oh they do have a 426 based off a 6.4.
Yea the 6.4 based . Sorry for not pointing that out. Do you know what a core charge is? From what I know it’s just a charge that gets refunded if I send them my current engine correct?

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,239 Posts
The 5.7 can be stroked to a 392, and the 6.1 can be stroked to a 426...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts