Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one make higher amperage alternators for our Challengers than stock? I believe my 2014 R/T has a 160 amp alternator, and I'd like to try one that generates about 220 amps.

The thing is, the battery light in my Challenger came on a couple of months ago, and the dealership hasn't been able to fix the problem to date. They think the alternator is the problem, and so far have installed 3 new alternators in it, the last being an after-market one, plus a new battery. There is a recall out for the original stock alternator in my ride, but no replacement alternators have become available yet. It's my understanding that the voltage regulator is part of the alternator, which means everything in the system has been replaced except for the wiring harness. When the battery gets low, all sorts of warning lights come on, and various electric/electronic devices quit working. The trouble code thrown is P0622 when the battery light illuminates.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
The 5.7 alternators are 180A

OEM supplier is Denso. Hunting around with the online places, I found that Bosch makes reman units.

But - in many instances they're out of stock - I guess the recall campaign or failing units in the field have created a shortage / backlog.

I also found ACDelco reman units, those run in the ~ $315 range for those.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Does any one make higher amperage alternators for our Challengers than stock? I believe my 2014 R/T has a 160 amp alternator, and I'd like to try one that generates about 220 amps.

The thing is, the battery light in my Challenger came on a couple of months ago, and the dealership hasn't been able to fix the problem to date. They think the alternator is the problem, and so far have installed 3 new alternators in it, the last being an after-market one, plus a new battery. There is a recall out for the original stock alternator in my ride, but no replacement alternators have become available yet. It's my understanding that the voltage regulator is part of the alternator, which means everything in the system has been replaced except for the wiring harness. When the battery gets low, all sorts of warning lights come on, and various electric/electronic devices quit working. The trouble code thrown is P0622 when the battery light illuminates.
I had this same issue. It turned out to be the field wire plug was not giving a proper signal. I would have it tested if they haven?t already. If you need another alternator I have a Brand new mopar one that I would sale for cheap

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had this same issue. It turned out to be the field wire plug was not giving a proper signal. I would have it tested if they haven?t already. If you need another alternator I have a Brand new mopar one that I would sale for cheap
What exactly is the field wire plug, where is it located and what signal should it be giving?

·
Registered
292 Posts
What exactly is the field wire plug, where is it located and what signal should it be giving?
The field wire plug is the one connector on back of the alternator. It tells the alternator to turn on and what percentage of output to put out. Mine would never ground so the alternator never put out any voltage.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
There's two connectors on the alternator.

The large gauge wire (secured with nut, and has rubber cover over it) is the output for charging supply to the system.

The field wire is smaller gauge with plug-in connector. This is the "signal" wire that tells the regulator what load / output level to run at.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, will bolt right on and hook up to existing harness.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I've been trying to get my service writer to install a 220 amp SRT alternator in my Shaker since learning of this, but haven't heard from him yet. :frown:

·
Registered
313 Posts
The original alternator on the 5.7 is a 160 amp.
I just ordered a 220 amp alternator for mine. Don't know what I'm gonna do about the recall yet. I need to call corporate and see what they tell me.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The original alternator on the 5.7 is a 160 amp.
I just ordered a 220 amp alternator for mine. Don't know what I'm gonna do about the recall yet. I need to call corporate and see what they tell me.
Please let us know how everything goes with both the install and your chat with FCA.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Update:
I got the alternator in. Found out that it's easier to just unbolt the water outlet and move it and the upper radiator hose out of the way. This alternator was definitely a true bolt in.
There were no problems when I started the car. I'll take it for a drive in the Spring. I don't drive it in the winter.
I don't forsee having any problems with the swap.
Here are pictures for comparison. Of course, the smaller, dirtier one is the 160 amp alternator.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts