Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get used Challenger V8 in a stick. Will probably have 50k miles or more. I wanted to know any problems with engine, tansmission, electrical... I just want to have an idea what to expect. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Wanted to get used Challenger V8 in a stick. Will probably have 50k miles or more. I wanted to know any problems with engine, tansmission, electrical... I just want to have an idea what to expect. Thanks guys.
Year, trim, engine displacement?

We're gonna need more info my dude. :browsmiley:

·
Super Moderator
15,350 Posts
The early years '09 - '10

*transmissions can have cold drive "nibble" on 1st > 2nd shifts
*splines may have wrong grease on assembly - causes pressure plate to hang on spline. Symptom is hard shifting effort. Cleaning splines and using proper grease will resolve this.

*'11+ transmissions had revised syncros to improve shift quality for lower gear ranges

*Getrag differentials (used on all manuals) can be prone to whine if they have been abused or wheel-hopped.

If you have a whining diff - it needs to be repaired or replaced. They should be quiet

These are smooth shifting transmissions, if you encounter one that doesn't - something's not right with it.

The slave cylinder / throwout bearing are an integral unit (hydraulic clutch). These can be prone to wearing - depending on how the car was used. Pedal effort should be light and (stock) clutch should be grabby nor slip.

I've owned two Challengers, both manuals. Had 43k on the 1st one and 12k on the current one.

The Getrag diffs are used on the '09 - '14 years with the manual transmission.

Tremec TR6060 are the same ratios whether its 5.7 / 6.1 / 6.4 engine. The 6.4/ 392 came along in '11 model year.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you are Northern states I would give a good look at the rear cradle bushing. There have been failures.

Also rust in some spots due to moisture build up lower rear rockers.

Google that lots will come up.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
You really came to the right place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a fix for the rust issue. Something to prevent moisture from staying in there?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stay away from any and all 5.7 made before 2011 in any FCA vehicle.
There was a design flaw in the valve seats that wasn't resolved until mid year 2010.
Go with 2011 just to be safe.
The problem was a rookie engineer thought that they could powder coat the valve seats.
This created a problem if the engine ever got too hot, and they run hot anyways.
The seats often could and in all probability would fall out of the head and usually end in total destruction of the engine beyond repair.
You could gamble on one and may never have a problem but I wouldn't chance it.
All it takes is one overheat condition and you could be out 5 grand for an engine.
The 4.7 engines were also culprit to this but those have been discontinued for some time now since they were a wash with problems from the beginning.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,529 Posts
2015 manuals that have the 17.11.7 upgrade lose sport mode. Dodge has confirmed this and they are rolling an OTA patch that apparently fixes it. Not sure about the 2016-2017?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts