Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all I'm new to the forum and recently new owner of a 2015 R/T 5.7 6 speed. I used to drive a 05 300c till that got written off. I wanted to know what are some good initial mods I can do to up my h.p. a bit. I have a k&n cai, billet catch can, car came with flowmaster exhaust. I was thinking of a throttle controller.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Kyle

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,294 Posts
I just posted the reply copy pasta'd below, for a similar question for a 392 car, a few days ago. It may help with your question today.
Searching this forum and others will net a lot of good info on this frequently asked question, as well.

A throttle controller will not open up more HP, all it does is adjust/tweek the amount of open throttle and when that occurrs..in esssence, tricking the throttle to think you are giving it more gas sooner than you really are. Fun in some cars and in some conditions, very dangerous in others.
2nd, may want to consider ditching the K&N, they do not provide any more airflow than other "dry" filters depite thier claim, but what they can do, is "mist" the intake system with oil vapor/particulates..which can over time, build up/collect dirt & oil on intake system sensors (there are several) That oil also pollutes the intake air charge. niether mentioned here, is actually good. YMMV.
Good luck & welcome!

""you can do minor mods for very minor gains, such as converting over to the hellcat lower air box (5-7hp) w/ hi-flow filter & DIPS unit. Run only premium gas, be sure tires are inflated properly, engine is in proper tune, add in a lil exhaust work to make it all flow a lil more efficiently.
finally take out weight (is like free hp you can go with rear seat delete (- 50lbs) try lighter wheel/tire combo (reduction in rotating mass), remove trunk subwoofer or spare tire kit/jack (-60lbs) if you have either...you get the idea.
You could get within spitting distance of 500hp with basic bolt on stuff like the above and with weight reduction, will make the car faster & more nimble - if thats the goal - by simply helping it work easier & more efficient.
...but any serious mods for bigger gains will probably void the factory warranty (some guys claim to get away with more than others), as will "tuning" the car, to take advantage of any new HP gained with such mods.
Tuning pulls it all togther & maximizes the return, but it requires unlocking the PCM &/or replacing it with an unlocked unit like a Diablo - both of which results in a permanent P code embedded in the BCM that any dealer will be able to see...have engine/drivetrain/elect related issues down the road & need dealer service work which would normally covered under warranty and your probably screwed and would have to fork over the cost, out of pocket.
Dodge has a history of being very picky on this subject and can/will deny warranty coverage based on just about anything, if the car is at all modified. drivetrain mods are an almost assured insta-denial.""

·
Vendor
12,930 Posts
you will not get anywhere near 500 whps with basic mods, as a matter of fact you will have a hard time reaching 400 whps without cam, headers or boost

400 crank maybe, probably with basic cai, exhaust etc

Magnuson supercharger on 8 psi with Kooks long tubes and green catted high flows will deliver approx 500 whps and 510 ft/lbs

cam with good tuning 55/60 whps

quality long tubes with high flow cats, 30/35 whps

and components don't necessarily stack hps

Luke

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
you will not get anywhere near 500 whps with basic mods, as a matter of fact you will have a hard time reaching 400 whps without cam, headers or boost

400 crank maybe, probably with basic cai, exhaust etc

Magnuson supercharger on 8 psi with Kooks long tubes and green catted high flows will deliver approx 500 whps and 510 ft/lbs

cam with good tuning 55/60 whps

quality long tubes with high flow cats, 30/35 whps

and components don't necessarily stack hps

Luke

I believe he was referring to the 392 engine in his post.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Removing weight is a good one, but no way in hell the rear seats weigh 50lbs

To the OP, you basic bolt on headers and supporting mods will get you to maybe 400 crank as luke mentioned,
But anything beyond that its worth too boost....
ive been going back and forth between building the bottom end and putting some heads and a cam on mine with a 410 stroker but best results ive seen to the wheel is around 460 on a GOOD dyno. Low boost will net usually north of 500 wheel.

My price list for parts for the completely assembled short block, thitek heads and cam is around $6500 + labor and tuning. You are like within $1000 of just having a bolt on supercharger setup. Saves a ton on labor and will net more power.

I wish it werent true but it is

Moral of the story....plugs and N20

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,613 Posts
Add Cubic Inch, boost compression, although I have not heard of anyone changing pistons and/or shaving the heads, mostly by boost. Cam swap, heck a whole engine swap. All are good power increases, what are you looking to do?

·
Vendor
12,930 Posts
Removing weight is a good one, but no way in hell the rear seats weigh 50lbs

To the OP, you basic bolt on headers and supporting mods will get you to maybe 400 crank as luke mentioned,
But anything beyond that its worth too boost....
ive been going back and forth between building the bottom end and putting some heads and a cam on mine with a 410 stroker but best results ive seen to the wheel is around 460 on a GOOD dyno. Low boost will net usually north of 500 wheel.

My price list for parts for the completely assembled short block, thitek heads and cam is around $6500 + labor and tuning. You are like within $1000 of just having a bolt on supercharger setup. Saves a ton on labor and will net more power.

I wish it werent true but it is

Moral of the story....plugs and N20
correct, typical gain Magnuson supercharger alone, 8 psi, fuel pump upgrade, 8499.00( parts, labor tuning etc) and will gain approx 130 wheel horsepower or 160 crank hps
>:)

·
Vendor
12,930 Posts
for comparison, doing a camshaft, including parts, labor, tuning and unlocking pcm will easily run 4500 to 5k to gain 55/60 whps

high quality long tube and high flow cats, with installation, tuning, tuner parts easily 3500 to 4k for 35 whps ish

this is real life:crying:

·
Vendor
12,930 Posts
to break it down

2199.00 Kooks long tubes and green catted high flow mids
600 to 800 labor to install
200 to 300 unlock pcm
400 to 500 tuning
450 to 600 tuner

for 35 whps ish

·
Registered
851 Posts
Nitrous and plugs.
Around 2500 to put together a solid setup and you can throw a 100 shot at it whenever you feel like it.

If you can run nitrous in your state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,953 Posts
Hey there all I'm new to the forum and recently new owner of a 2015 R/T 5.7 6 speed. I used to drive a 05 300c till that got written off. I wanted to know what are some good initial mods I can do to up my h.p. a bit. I have a k&n cai, billet catch can, car came with flowmaster exhaust. I was thinking of a throttle controller.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Kyle
You can see all of my mods in my garage, which should give you some ideas. I figure I have about 500 rwhp right now. Know that it is a lot more fun doing it your way than buying stock horse power... >:)

BTW, my next mod will be replacing my API fuel hat with a Fore Innovations duel pump return system, and has already shipped. Now go ahead and ask why I would do this... :surprise:

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,501 Posts
What about stickers? Is no one going to mention stickers?!?

Fine, I will...
@JazzBlu_R/T - all of the above mods are good, but they obviously aren’t going to be cheap...to buy or to install. So while you’re saving up for the big stuff, here’s a power-adding mod you can do that won’t break the bank and is quite easy to install yourself: STICKERS!!

That’s right, start holding onto those little stickers that come with your CAI, your Catch Can, etc. As you get one, stick it on the car’s back glass, front glass, hell anywhere! Just as long as it’s on the car, that’s +5 HP (and try to get them stuck on straight; it’s aesthetically more pleasing if they aren’t all crooked).

And that gain is PER STICKER, too!
Got 3 stickers from that Summit order?
Stick em on!
That’s 15 extra HP!

NOTE: the extra HP is max HP at redline. So it’s not like you’ll have 5 extra ponies to play with in any gear and at any RPM. It’s 5 more HP on top of what the engine would max out at on a dyno run.

Okay, okay, you got me. The 5HP per sticker thing isn’t really a thing :frown:

Or is it??? >:)

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,501 Posts

·
Vendor
12,930 Posts
What about stickers? Is no one going to mention stickers?!?

Fine, I will...

@JazzBlu_R/T - all of the above mods are good, but they obviously aren’t going to be cheap...to buy or to install. So while you’re saving up for the big stuff, here’s a power-adding mod you can do that won’t break the bank and is quite easy to install yourself: STICKERS!!

That’s right, start holding onto those little stickers that come with your CAI, your Catch Can, etc. As you get one, stick it on the car’s back glass, front glass, hell anywhere! Just as long as it’s on the car, that’s +5 HP (and try to get them stuck on straight; it’s aesthetically more pleasing if they aren’t all crooked).

And that gain is PER STICKER, too!
Got 3 stickers from that Summit order?
Stick em on!
That’s 15 extra HP!

NOTE: the extra HP is max HP at redline. So it’s not like you’ll have 5 extra ponies to play with in any gear and at any RPM. It’s 5 more HP on top of what the engine would max out at on a dyno run.

Okay, okay, you got me. The 5HP per sticker thing isn’t really a thing :frown:

Or is it??? >:)
stickers, did you say stickers, hell got to be worth at 1000 on this one>:)

·
Registered
324 Posts
You can see all of my mods in my garage, which should give you some ideas. I figure I have about 500 rwhp right now. Know that it is a lot more fun doing it your way than buying stock horse power... >:)

BTW, my next mod will be replacing my API fuel hat with a Fore Innovations duel pump return system, and has already shipped. Now go ahead and ask why I would do this... :surprise:

Gila,
Why oh why would you do that??
Are you fixing something that ain't broke?
I am taking the easy way out, throwing money at the dealership and merely driving the hell out of them while rarely using any tool other than an oil filter wrench, 10mm socket, 13mm socket, and an 8mm hex.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts