Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything special that is a good go-to part to get if I stumble across them? Things that are unrelated to drivetrain options like interior trim, lights, mats...
Not for re-sale purpose, but for a nice handy spare.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
The lower outer black plastic panels below the doors are supposedly real hard to find for pre-15 cars.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lower outer black plastic panels below the doors are supposedly real hard to find for pre-15 cars.
Gotcha, but I would look for 2015+ but never know what I'd find in a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Except that the clips will break when you remove the panel. They are molded as part of the panel, loop shaped with one open end. When the panel is attached the clips compress then pop open inside the rocker. No way to compress them so they can be pulled back out.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Anything made of Gold, money, drugs, liquor.....etc. Good luck! :LOL:

Reactions: Pioneer4x4

·
Registered
562 Posts
Any and all trim pieces and light housings. Drivers seats in excellent condition. Shifter knobs. Rims.

When I look at used cars, these are the things that are often most damaged or worn, and most needed and often the most expensive to replace with aftermarket.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
When are you going to the junkyard? Which one? I may be interested in going with you. The rear louver came btw. I'll send you some pictures if I get it on. I'd be interested in the red interior, and I want to pick up a couple spare interior light housings. I change my boots in the dark by the trunk.i want to get some more light shining down there.

As for parts, one thing I can think of is the parts the interior light bulbs plug into. I'm considering upgrading my lights, and from what I'm seeing the housings are flimsy and weird. Shift knobs and steering wheels always get cruddy and wear out. Having a spare may come in handy too.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When are you going to the junkyard? Which one? I may be interested in going with you. The rear louver came btw. I'll send you some pictures if I get it on. I'd be interested in the red interior, and I want to pick up a couple spare interior light housings. I change my boots in the dark by the trunk.i want to get some more light shining down there.

As for parts, one thing I can think of is the parts the interior light bulbs plug into. I'm considering upgrading my lights, and from what I'm seeing the housings are flimsy and weird. Shift knobs and steering wheels always get cruddy and wear out. Having a spare may come in handy too.
When, no idea, keep getting interrupted by grandchildren, family members moving, and this totally stinking weather.
Now that you mention it, I do have a special lighting plan, but it is a secret.
I only have 1 part I need (unrelated to the secret plan) and that is a license plate light, mine has a cracked tab and keeps falling down a bit, plus I need a couple small things for my JGC.
I like to go to whatever that place is in Hopwood, Danser's on 22, Strauss near Perryopolis, or the u-pull-and-pay in Penn Hills. Snag a pair of Sheetz Dogz, and good to go for the day.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
When, no idea, keep getting interrupted by grandchildren, family members moving, and this totally stinking weather.
I only have 1 part I need (unrelated to the secret plan) and that is a license plate light, mine has a cracked tab and keeps falling down a bit, plus I need a couple small things for my JGC.
I like to go to whatever that place is in Hopwood, Danser's on 22, Strauss near Perryopolis, or the u-pull-and-pay in Penn Hills. Snag a pair of Sheetz Dogz, and good to go for the day.
I hadn't even though about the one near Perry! My GF lives there and I usually drive past it at least twice a week. Looking over I didn't see any challenger's, but then again I never actually wandered around in it. There's one between Carmichaels and Fredericktown you may want to search up. I haven't been there myself, but it's another one local to add to the list.

Can we get a hint on what you're planning lighting wise?
For me, I'm mainly planning to upgrade all my interior lights to red LED's, and drill a couple holes by the license plate, and in the liner around the trunk to add some extra (red) light's to a relay so that when the trunk is open I can 1. See what the heck is in the trunk and 2. light up my feet for when I change out of my muddy work boots.

Beyond that I'm looking at custom color changing headlight's and underglow, I want them hooked to the transmission somehow which I haven't figured quite out yet. Headlight's, when in park, I want them set to red, and when in drive I want them set to white to be legal. and underglow, when in park, I want it on (red) and any other time off. I don't want to drill holes for switches everywhere, and I don't want to mess around with a phone app. I just want it to work seamlessly.

Either way, thank's for the good idea's!

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can we get a hint on what you're planning lighting wise?
Hint - Factory MOPAR parts. (I got the idea from my other mopar vehicle) Something used on several Jeeps, and maybe the Journey and minivans.
I have always been a fan of making a car that Chrysler should have, I try to use factory parts in ways that they didn't.
Like I had a 1982 Rampage "Limited". Basically I was putting in everything they had from the 1980s that could work (till it got rear-ended)
1985 Shelby Charger Turbo Engine/Brakes/Wheels/Tires/Interior/Body accents/Hood. 1998 Dodge Stratus Radio, 1989 Shadow boost gauge in A/C vent, looked factory, 1980s trip computer (wired right into the Turbo EFI computer like factory) I was ready to put in the Daytona/LeBaron Digital Dash & fluid level indicators/bulb out wiring sensors, and the early 1980s talking module "Your door is ajar" "NO, My door is a DOOR DAMMIT"

Reactions: Charles 236

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah hell, I'll post it now incase I never do it.
My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the factory rechargeable flashlight in the rear cargo area.
It is black and pops into a bezel on the side interior panel
Pic stolen from internet below.

They basically suck, better to just use your phone, but it is MOPAR!!!
They came in black, and tan/taupe/whateverthehellthatlightbrowniscalled.
Also, they came in some small SUVs like the Compass mounted in the rear dome light! That is what I want, the bezel with light for a trunk light with removable rechargeable flashlight. The downside is, the ones with lights were not made in black, since they were all in the ceiling of cars with light headliners.
So I want a factory(ish) trunk light with rechargeable flashlight.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
Wow! I haven't thought about those speech modules from the mid 80s talking car craze in years. At first, it was neat, but after hearing the entire vocabulary of the module a few times it became annoying to me. If I remember correctly, there was only about six phrases in the module, and three or four languages available.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! I haven't thought about those speech modules from the mid 80s talking car craze in years. At first, it was neat, but after hearing the entire vocabulary of the module a few times it became annoying to me. If I remember correctly, there was only about six phrases in the module, and three or four languages available.
I know they also had French for the Canukistanians up north.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I guess it would depend on how much the Junkyard charged? I had a local junkyard operated by a guy who had 2 1970 Hemi Challenger RT's, bought one new and the other used after first gas crunch in 72. He sold one years ago and kept one and drag raced back in the day. He sold that for some big bucks about 10 years ago. Unfortunatley he passed away about 5 years ago from cancer. I went in years back with my Hemi Owners T-shirt and hit off pretty good. He basically gave me anything for next to nothing, have boxes of parts for 02 Grand Cherokee, 00 Durango and my PTs and old Turbo Dodges. When he passed his wife scrapped out 3500 cars and sold off the equipment ( crusher and scales and loaders) and closed it.

He used take in probably over 1400 cars a year, let them get picked over and then crush em when prices went up. He told me he had a mobil crusher and in late 70s went up to abandoned junk yards in northern Maine and NH and would literally have clear a road in and process the cars. He also told me he crushed many a Challenger, Cuda, Road Runner back in the day, said they were just another car..

I would grab any good trim, head units, interior like good door cards, switches module, power window regulators ( just used one in my 02WJ that was in my attic ;)) etc assuming they arent raping you.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess it would depend on how much the Junkyard charged? I had a local junkyard operated by a guy who had 2 1970 Hemi Challenger RT's, bought one new and the other used after first gas crunch in 72. He sold one years ago and kept one and drag raced back in the day. He sold that for some big bucks about 10 years ago. Unfortunatley he passed away about 5 years ago from cancer. I went in years back with my Hemi Owners T-shirt and hit off pretty good. He basically gave me anything for next to nothing, have boxes of parts for 02 Grand Cherokee, 00 Durango and my PTs and old Turbo Dodges. When he passed his wife scrapped out 3500 cars and sold off the equipment ( crusher and scales and loaders) and closed it.

He used take in probably over 1400 cars a year, let them get picked over and then crush em when prices went up. He told me he had a mobil crusher and in late 70s went up to abandoned junk yards in northern Maine and NH and would literally have clear a road in and process the cars. He also told me he crushed many a Challenger, Cuda, Road Runner back in the day, said they were just another car..

I would grab any good trim, head units, interior like good door cards, switches module, power window regulators ( just used one in my 02WJ that was in my attic ;)) etc assuming they arent raping you.
Most of the local places have price lists so you know before you rip and tear.
And I love the "all you can carry" days. They are entertaining anyway.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
Those tabs on the rear plates lights are lame.

Mine finally broke 2 years ago. Gorilla taped it around all edges. It ain't going nowhere now.

Can't see the tape unless you're on the ground looking up.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those tabs on the rear plates lights are lame.

Mine finally broke 2 years ago. Gorilla taped it around all edges. It ain't going nowhere now.

Can't see the tape unless you're on the ground looking up.
Hmm, OK, so I shouldn't bother with replacing it, will likely just break again?

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
Hmm, OK, so I shouldn't bother with replacing it, will likely just break again?
The "bendable" portion of the tab is VERY thin. That's where it breaks from various methods of shock while driving.

I looked at a new one, and it was the same. I couldn't see why it would last any longer than the first one did, so I went with the Gorilla tape.

Just too much money to spend on the same piece of cheap plastic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts