Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The small (1") grills in the headliner, above the driver and passenger seats. I assumed they are microphones for the Uconnect voice command and phone features. I asked my local service manager and he gave me an unbelievable answer. There is nothing about them in the owners manual. Does anyone know what they really are??

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,420 Posts
I always assumed they are microphones for phone calls. According to he owners manual, the only instance of "microphone" is for talking TO the uConnect system.
"Speak clearly at a normal pace and volume while facing
straight ahead. The microphone is positioned on the
rearview mirror
and aimed at the driver."

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
This is for a Jeep Compass, but I bet they are all similar. They have to be for Bluetooth to phone.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts
From the 2017 manual

Speak clearly at a normal pace and volume while facing straight ahead. The microphone is located in the headliner and aimed at the driver
Pictures?

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts
No, lol, pictures of the vents above the seats. I got my quote from the 2017 manual...I'm not saying some years it didn't say it was in the mirror ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
No, lol, pictures of the vents above the seats. I got my quote from the 2017 manual...I'm not saying some years it didn't say it was in the mirror ;)

A Guy
I know, just being obstinate. I'll check my car out in a couple...

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
These, I am certain they are for voice input, but I don't have an actual parts book. And they look identical to the one I posted earlier except maybe color.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I could not find anything that could be a microphone hole on my mirror, at least not on the side facing driver.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I could not find anything that could be a microphone hole on my mirror, at least not on the side facing driver.
All the pics I'm seeing on google search have them on the top of the mirror.

EDIT: From a 2016 challenger.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'm sure they are microphones...

OP - you mentioned that the dealer gave you an unbelieveable answer - what was their answer?

·
Registered
379 Posts
my best guess would be they are there to measure cabin noise to adjust the auto volume of the stereo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
My 2016 did not have these "vents" but my 2019 does. I think they just relocated the mics from the mirror to the headliner.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
My 2016 did not have these "vents" but my 2019 does. I think they just relocated the mics from the mirror to the headliner.
And probably never updated the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,859 Posts
Having owned a 2016 SXT Plus w/8.4 and my current 2018 T/A w/8.4......I can assure you those are the relocated microphones. The RAM pickups changed around 2017 as well (moved to the headliner).

Reactions: Stitches1974

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Having owned a 2016 SXT Plus w/8.4 and my current 2018 T/A w/8.4......I can assure you those are the relocated microphones. The RAM pickups changed around 2017 as well (moved to the headliner).
Yep! I just did some digging around on a RAM forum.

Link

1 - 18 of 18 Posts