Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what everyone is seeing for air intake temps vs. ambient air temperature. Cruising and also what happens when you floor it hard to the temps. I just added the Hellcat Air Box mod. I did not seal the box bottom with foam yet so I was probably sucking more engine bay air then I should of. I have the foam and will do that tomorrow. Today while cruising intake temps were 5 degrees warmer than the outside temperature. With heavy acceleration it would drop to 3 degrees of Ambient. WOT I could get to within 2 degrees ambient.

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
If I am moving its 3 to 6 degrees above.
16 Shaker with cold air tubes in both headlights
When I stop it builds up but quickly goes back down when I start moving again
I think they're all the same temps

·
Registered
410 Posts
I get like +10 above ambient. There's a lot of humidity down here though.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If the car is moving, my intake temps are at ambient. After heat soaking it takes seconds to recover to ambient temps instead of minutes like the thick stock plastic intake.

LMI fender pull

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine are 2 degrees ambient, AFE intake and headlight plug pulled on both sides (no tubes). Thats on an SRT 392. Never thought to check what they were before with stock intake set up but from what I have read most people are 10-15 degrees above ambient with the stock set up.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
70 Posts
Out here in Georgia, I'm usually about 5 - 7 degrees over ambient temps. The gap shrinks to 3 - 5 degrees over in cooler weather.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anything at 40MPH or faster, 3 to 5 degrees above ambient.
The hellcat hood also helps with the heat soak issue if you sit in traffic a lot. I noticed last year that the temps would not go back down unless I hit a constant high speed. The exhaust port on the hood helped a bit, now it cools the airbox a tad faster.

Sealing the bottom.... wouldnt that restrict airflow?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a shaker with the Mopar headlight tube. Mine are consistently 9 above ambient when moving.

Yesterday it was 93 degrees. It was amazing how quick the intake air temp climbed sitting at a light and how quick it comes back down when moving again. Highest I saw was 128.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I see about 2 to 4 above some of the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts