Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Challenger 392 SRT8 with the STOCK system.

According to the 2012 Challenger thread, the SRT8 base audio system is the same as the upgraded RT audio system - the Boston Acoustics 6-speaker system. This includes an AMP and 6 speakers (2 dash, 2 door, 2 rear), no sub. There is an upgraded BA system you can get on the RT but if you upgrade it on the SRT8 it replaces it with the HK or Kicker system (depending on 2012 or 2011) which I for sure didn't get.

So if I have the BA 6-speaker system, where is my amp? And more importantly, why am I missing the fuse for the "factory amp" in my fuse box?? :D

I'd like to upgrade the front door speakers and am hoping I don't have to get a PAC interface and aftermarket amp - I'd rather just plug in some aftermarket speakers and call it good... :)

Any ideas??

ps. I'm hoping this thread can be kept generic enough that we can document ALL of the audio systems and how you know for sure which you got... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You can find out what system you have if you look at the bottom right corner of your radio/NAV unit. The three digit code is printed on it, or at least it is for all 2010 and previous.

To find out if you have upgraded speakers or a factory ordered upgrade you would most likely need to look at the Spec paper that comes with the car. It details all of the stock and factory upgrades, along with prices.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have the RBZ head unit, but not sure that means if I have a certain amp or speaker setup or not... ?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean options list? I custom ordered my car so I know what options I have and that its the factory system. I just want to know what the factory system is FOR SURE... I am speculating based on the 2012 Challenger Information Thread by RS, but I wanted to get some more confirmations.. ?

·
Super Moderator
17,321 Posts
I have a 2012 Challenger 392 SRT8 with the STOCK system.

According to the 2012 Challenger thread, the SRT8 base audio system is the same as the upgraded RT audio system - the Boston Acoustics 6-speaker system. This includes an AMP and 6 speakers (2 dash, 2 door, 2 rear), no sub.

So if I have the BA 6-speaker system, where is my amp? And more importantly, why am I missing the fuse for the "factory amp" in my fuse box?? :D

I'd like to upgrade the front door speakers and am hoping I don't have to get a PAC interface and aftermarket amp - I'd rather just plug in some aftermarket speakers and call it good... :)
You have the (code RBZ) MC430 non-nav touchscreen HDD w/ 28GB (available capacity) that is the standard head unit with the 6-spkr BA system in the '12 SRT. The upgrade OEM sound system for '12 SRT is the HK 900w 19-speaker (3 way units) with dual subs in the spare tire well.

The Amp is under under the dash panel, on the drivers' side of the car. The omitted fuse is likely the one for the Kicker (pre '12) or HK remote sub module that's located in the trunk with the sub's Amp.

The sub Amp draws some current on its own, so it gets a dedicated fused circuit for that portion.

As to the speakers - don't know how the BA setup is executed, but I'd imagine since there's a multi-channel amp module, the speakers get 4 or 8 ohm high wattage feeds, unlike the Infinity or Bose systems that have 2 ohm circuits at line level with powered amp modules at each speaker...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hal!! So that means the speakers are just normal speakers and I could easily replace them with aftermarket ones. BUT of course they might be too beefy for that amp and be unable to play properly due to low power. So ideally I want to upgrade the amp and the speakers. Upgrading the amp is a pain in the butt I'm guessing, since it is a canbus input. So I would have to either amp the output signals after the first amp or else run a new amp and use a signal from the factory head unit or a PAC adapter (a lot more work). I might upgrade just the speakers right now to be honest. But at least now I know my options. I'm really happy I just dislike the lack of midbass and also one of the doors has some rattles so I want to dynamat things up a bit just to help that midbass out some more...

Thanks again Hal!!

·
Vendor
13,314 Posts
What do you mean options list? I custom ordered my car so I know what options I have and that its the factory system. I just want to know what the factory system is FOR SURE... I am speculating based on the 2012 Challenger Information Thread by RS, but I wanted to get some more confirmations.. ?
So you think you know what your options are, obviously not if your asking, with your vin I can download and email the complete option list
Luke

·
Registered
588 Posts
He's exploring aftermarket options and confirming what he has is the build code he ordered. No vin disclosure needed.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The more I think about it, the more I will just dyanamat my doors and door panels. I hear buzzing from the door panel when the door mids hit. Otherwise they do hit OK, enough for me, I am just a purist and can't stand even the smallest of vibrations.. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts