Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing allot of browsing at online vendors for a backup cam.... but keep coming up undecided. I am looking for something really clear and that has the green, yellow and red distance grid lines. I am not looking for cheap stuff.. good quality only.

There are soooo many out there but since allot of you guys have already installed them, what have you found out about the one you ordered? you happy with it? Would you order another one if you did it again or another model up?

I have the RER radio in mine and plan to go Lockpick V5.

So, what Brands & models out there you guys think are some of the better ones?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've had the Mopar backup camera and the 'ebay' Chrysler 300 replacement camera and plate light combo, no lockpick. The model for the Mopar camera had no grid lines, a fair picture in daylight, poor night visibility, and I mounted it in the factory plate light location, so I had to rig the platelight. The Mopar camera failed just over a year after install. I replaced it with the ebay camera from China and was immediately happier. Better (crisp/clear) picture, much better night visibility, grid lines that were accurate when mounted in factory plate light location, and an integrated license plate light. It mounts cleanly in the plate light location so no modding required. I know you didnt want cheap, but for $25 shipped I'm more than happy with the result!!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
i bought this one
Subaru Forester 2007 12 CMOS NTSC Car Backup Rear View Waterproof Reverse Camera | eBay

fits perfectly in place of the factory license plate light.. cheap. works great.. and the best part.. it has 2 lights one on each side of the camera.. not like most that have one on each side..

what you need to make it work is this
10x T10 W5W 194 168 Adapter LED SMD Panel Stop Light Marker License Plate Female | eBay

clip off the black connnector and you use the white connector to plug into the factory licence plate connector.. and the red and black wire you solider to the wires on the camera and that powers the 2 led bulbs on the camera. you can find someone on ebay that sells that connector in the usa so you don't have to wait to get it from across the pond but this give you the idea on what you are looking for

i have this on a lock pick v5 and a 730 nav dec.. NO ISSUES WORKS GREAT.

and it is a nice clean install that you don't have to have a goofy camera mounted on your license plate

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My "tried and true" favorite for quality, longevity and ease of mounting has to be the BOYO License Plate Frame with the integrated Hi-Res camera. I've used mine, in combination with a LockPick, for over 2 years -and- have nothing but praise for this most excellent solution. The camera provides a clear and precise view, although it's wide-angle lens (which I like,) does produce a bit of the "fish-eye look" to the scene.

These BOYOS are designated models 275 and 375 which denotes as to whether their chrome-plated, or black powder-coated. They run about $125-135, depending on the merchant's pricing structure.

For my money, literally, it's the best camera, as well as the very best overall "backup camera solution" I've yet to see !!

Good luck, and..............

Best regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Registered
144 Posts
I purchased this camera from amazon and the pic quality is not very good. I thought it had a plastic cover over the lense it was so bad but even poking at it with a needle there was no removable cover lol

lovelive-5 stars Selling CCD Color Monitor Image CAR REAR VIEW PARKING REVERSE CAMERA FOR Chrysler 300/300c/srt8/magnum/Sebring

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got the same camera as us1champ and it works great. I was surprised how clear it is - way more than the factory camera in my wife's 2011 Kia Sorento. I did not get that adaptor - just tapped into the wires and "sealed" the old bulb holder. I did feel that the lights were a bit too dim so I added a little LED strip I found online for motorcycle plates and it is nice and bright now.

It's been on my car with a lockpick chr550 since last summer and no issues yet. For the price, if I have an issue I figure it is disposable and I'll just get another!

Best of luck with yours... It was a great mod for me considering how poor the rear view is on our cars.

·
Registered
305 Posts
used the same chrysler 300 light from ebay and works great also added ebay front camera with grid as well bundles up with v5 lockpick...works great but every once in awhile the rear camera wont work...i believe its the lockpick and not the cameras...but if you turn car on/off it comes back on again...

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mark...can you tell me exactly what you did to get your backup camera working with the Lock Pick v5? I have the Lock Pick installed but noticed the wires for the camera were not plug and play for the Lock Pick. What did you wire to what and did you have to splice anything together?? Did you have to solder anything??? I would rather just connect and go but please share your insight here. Thank you very much,

Mac

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mac,

Sorry for the delayed response.

It has been a while since I installed it, but if memory serves me correctly, it wasn't difficult at all. I have the LockPick CHR550. The camera had two RCA jacks coming from it and I ran long RCA cords to the front of the car and plugged them into the LockPick leads. It is possible that I had to splice the power lead into the LockPick lead, but I can't recall for sure (and that part is tucked away behind the dash now). All-in-all, it was not difficult to install at all. The toughest part was running the wires up to the front, really.

Hope that helps. Good luck if you decide to do it. I love mine!

Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mark...can you tell me exactly what you did to get your backup camera working with the Lock Pick v5? I have the Lock Pick installed but noticed the wires for the camera were not plug and play for the Lock Pick. What did you wire to what and did you have to splice anything together?? Did you have to solder anything??? I would rather just connect and go but please share your insight here. Thank you very much,

Mac
It is sort-of plug and play. The Lockpick written instructions and wiring diagram conflict with each other so the wiring for the camera there is a lottery. They reference the wrong color wires in the written instructions vs how the unit wires are labelled. There is also no 'rear cam' connection in on the Lockpick unit. I think there is cam1 and cam2 that are not referenced anywhere in the written text. The written text refers to 'rear camera' and '2nd rear camera'. So you have to plug and unplug wires and jacks to see what works. I never got anything working with my barcam 221 so I can't tell if it is the Lockpick or the camera. I do know that I get power to the front cam lead when I pick it from the menu on the screen, and I get steady power to what they call the rear cam lead anytime the unit is on. I wonder if they have the rear camera lead mislabeled on the unit.

I called Coastal Tech. They said they would call me back. I am not holding my breath on that.

I was here looking for another cam to try. The barcam will have to come out and get smashed to bits on my workbench. I might as well get some enjoyment out of my wasted $80.

I might try the license frame light.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I got the Subaru camera also but havent hooked it up yet...got a lockpick V4.0 on the cheap so jsut gotta get the time to throw it all in. The camera came with a video wire that has a small red wire embedded in it...thinking it may be a power wire if you want to wire it to the lockpick vice just using the tail light...not sure...instructions are in chinese so no help there..LOL gonna jsut wire it up and not use the red wire and see where it takes me...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sub'd

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It is sort-of plug and play. The Lockpick written instructions and wiring diagram conflict with each other so the wiring for the camera there is a lottery. They reference the wrong color wires in the written instructions vs how the unit wires are labelled. There is also no 'rear cam' connection in on the Lockpick unit. I think there is cam1 and cam2 that are not referenced anywhere in the written text. The written text refers to 'rear camera' and '2nd rear camera'. So you have to plug and unplug wires and jacks to see what works. I never got anything working with my barcam 221 so I can't tell if it is the Lockpick or the camera. I do know that I get power to the front cam lead when I pick it from the menu on the screen, and I get steady power to what they call the rear cam lead anytime the unit is on. I wonder if they have the rear camera lead mislabeled on the unit.

I called Coastal Tech. They said they would call me back. I am not holding my breath on that.

I was here looking for another cam to try. The barcam will have to come out and get smashed to bits on my workbench. I might as well get some enjoyment out of my wasted $80.

I might try the license frame light.
The Lockpick is a cool device. Connect the rear view camera to 1, if you want a front parking camera, connect to 2, and on mine, my side blind spot camera is connected to 3. Can toggle between them all using the steering wheel controls.

I mounted it behind the glovebox, and the RCA connections for 4 are in the glovebox

5 can be used to add another screen in the back, trunk, whatever.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've got the eBay one that's posted above and it has a great picture.... very happy with it!!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Does the reverse camera's picture show up automatically on the mygig when you shift into reverse?
Yes, but you have to go into the mygig settings and turn it on then it will.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi everyone, I feel kinda stupid because I installed my backup camera and lockpick in my 2012 R/T around 4 moths ago and just now realized that the image is reverse.....I know there's 2 kinds of settings...normal and reverse is there a away to change this on radio,lockpick or camera?

Thanks
Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts