Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Team:smile:,

I know most of you have changed your brake pads. So was just curious to know what do you use for your car?

I personally ordered hawk HPS 5.0 for occasional track racing. But would be using it as a daily driving too.

What do you use? And how is your experience with it?

Also if you have used hawk 5.0, how was your experience with it, in cold and rain or snow days?

Alien.:domotwak:

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
I'm still running the original Brembo pads on my SP. They are the 4 piston units, and I have about 24k miles on them. I've been very pleased with them in every way.

I like that initial "bite", they don't dust that badly, are staying quiet, and are wearing very well on my car.

I'll stick with these when I do have to change them.

Reactions: Alien Cop

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the HPS 5.0's on my SRT8 because it's what the guy at Speedlogix recommended. The wheel dust is quite a bit less and I can stop smoothly now. The Brembo pads are too grabby to make a smooth stop and wear out the disc quickly I've read. I don't drive it in rain or snow so can't answer on that part of your question.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The horror stories I have read out here about premature wear on the rotors and the costs involved have me replacing the stock Brembo pads this weekend. I am putting the Powerstop Z26 carbon ceramic pads on with only 3k miles on the Cat. Hopefully that itself will be enough to extend the life of the rotors. I was debating on whether or not I should change them out also.

·
Registered
116 Posts
2000 miles here on my TA and putting on Z26s this weekend also. As a daily I just cant stand the dust

My 15 HC was a 2nd car and had OEMs on to 28k and the rotors were starting to look a bit worn so not sure the OEM pads are all that bad considering the performance.

As a 2nd car I could barely live with the brake dust, as a daily, no way I can keep up.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The horror stories I have read out here about premature wear on the rotors and the costs involved have me replacing the stock Brembo pads this weekend. I am putting the Powerstop Z26 carbon ceramic pads on with only 3k miles on the Cat. Hopefully that itself will be enough to extend the life of the rotors. I was debating on whether or not I should change them out also.
DBA has the rotor rings only for our 2 piece rotor setup. I recently installed those with the OE hats at around $800 for the pair. I also went with the EBC Redstuff pads. So far, so good.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the Z26's for DD.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I personally had a very bad experience with the 5. 0 on the track (road course) and on the street.
They are bad and they miss initial bite.
Finishing on the sand on turn 2 in laguna seca is never funny and kind of marked me (and the hawk) forever IMO.
On road course I had xp10 and xp8 carbotech

Great initial bite but dusty and noise so not good on the road.

Hope this helps

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
For you guys with the Z26 pads. Make sure you try a panic stop from highway speeds and verify the wheels will lock up. Mine wouldn't and I almost rear-ended someone on the interstate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For you guys with the Z26 pads. Make sure you try a panic stop from highway speeds and verify the wheels will lock up. Mine wouldn't and I almost rear-ended someone on the interstate.
Assuming you bedded them in properly?
What mileage did you put them on?

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the HPS 5.0's on my SRT8 because it's what the guy at Speedlogix recommended. The wheel dust is quite a bit less and I can stop smoothly now. The Brembo pads are too grabby to make a smooth stop and wear out the disc quickly I've read. I don't drive it in rain or snow so can't answer on that part of your question.
I installed the HPS 5.0 but they are making a squealing noise :( not sure what should we do.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I personally had a very bad experience with the 5. 0 on the track (road course) and on the street.
They are bad and they miss initial bite.
Finishing on the sand on turn 2 in laguna seca is never funny and kind of marked me (and the hawk) forever IMO.
On road course I had xp10 and xp8 carbotech

Great initial bite but dusty and noise so not good on the road.

Hie this helps

Update: I installed the HPS 5.0, less initial bite but linear. However its so much noisy and squeal like UPS truck. Not sure what to do , I bedded in okay I guess.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Update: I installed the HPS 5.0, less initial bite but linear. However its so much noisy and squeal like UPS truck. Not sure what to do , I bedded in okay I guess.
Once again.
5. 0 are crap.
You need initial bite for a 4400 lbs car. It is risky to drive around without it.
And dont even think to bring them on track.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Will have to take it out in the desert and run it hard and try this, thanks for the tip. But so far so good. No more brake dust and I don't hear the squealing noise anymore either. The z26's are not as grabby and they don't have that bite like the stock pads did. Braking definitely feels different but I think it will do.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Bedded and tracked. Scary pad performance IMO. Put them on at around 13K mi. Have since tried Hawk street pads, grip great but squeal like a banshee. Next tried DBA SP500 on new DBA rotor rings, work great but also squeal. I'm currently trying out the EBC Redstuff pads, they lie on their advertising, dust like crazy and also are noisy. Pulling my hair out with brake pads. I've just ordered some pads I've found called Disc Italia. They claim they are one of the only true ceramic pads with nothing else mixed in like many others who say they are ceramic...the saga continues lol. I don't know if the noise issues are because of the large rotor & pad surface on the 6 piston Brembo's or what.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I also put the power stop Z26 pads on. Best move I ever made. The only dust I get now is road dust. Brake dust is absolutely gone. As far as performance...no big difference in my opinion

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
794 Posts
My good move was putting on the Powerstop Z23's...Z26's just as great...A little different as has been mentioned many times...
Z23's are quiet...No dust...and will pull down this 4400lb car from 115 at the track very quickly...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I replaced the Brembo pads at like 18k miles with Wagner OEx and couldn't be happier. They keep the wheels MUCH cleaner and after the break in process and a about 500 miles they stop as good as the Brembo. I also swapped out the rotors for R1 Carbon GEOMET® Series slotted and drilled. Together they have been great. I've put over 20k miles and still stop like new. Also the pads look almost new and QUIET...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts