Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After cleaning my wheels over an over I got some Powerstop Z26 pads for my 6 piston Brembos on my SRT. They worked great on the street. Then yesterday I did my first autocross and they were not good. The format was 1 flying lap and then four laps totaling almost 5 minutes of driving. When I hit the fourth lap the brakes faded pretty bad and I started missing turns. I could barely stop and exit the track on the final lap. Had to mash the pedal with all my strength and it started to slow after a couple seconds. Somebody here said these pads fade at the track so he switched to Hawk brand. Does anybody have a recommendation for low dust, better performing than stock pads, not be loud on the street, that do not fade after 20 minutes on the track, and don't eat the rotors too fast? The autocross was with the Porsche club and they said to put the stock pads back on.

By the way, I did break the pads in properly and had stock rear pads. Also, with my first autocross my time was 50.3 seconds vs. the fastest which was a modified Porsche GTS and ARC Viper which were in the 45 to 46 range. Not bad considering my car weighted 1000+ pounds more and I was a noob.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey, having a 16 scat pack and doing regular roadcourse taught me that the biggest weakness for the challenger are the brakes.
I have the 4 pistons brembo
I Had to substitute my rotors twice(xue to hotspots. i have now 40kmiles)
Tried 4 different pads:
1. Original brembo
2. Hawk perf 5.0
3. Carbotech XP10(and xp8 for the rear)
4. Carbotech street pads

1. Brembos create hot spots on rotors and stop power was reduced after 2 or 3 laps
2. Hawk 5.0. bad braking on the street. Terrible on the track(went on sand twice)
3. Carbotech xp10(and xp8): great pads. Very strong braking on the track. They resist at very high temp, fundamental to stop 4400 pounds. But impossible to have for street use. Super noisy and dusty.
4. Carbotech street pads. I have them only for the rear. (Xp10 didnt create too many problem for the first few weeks om the street after installation until now where the noisy is frustrating me ) they work well

Conclusion and personal opinions
1. You need a Better brake Fluid. Castrol SRF is the best. Also Motul600 is a good one. This will help to prevent the fading when the temp raise up.
2. Pads for the street are different from the track ones. I've tried different compromise and didn't work. So I bought a car jack and I switch them before the track. (Super easy and fast)
3. As our common "friend" WASP would say , properly BEDDING is fundamental.

Hope this help.
Fly

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,643 Posts
I have heard stainless steel brake hoses help as well?

A Guy

·
Registered
15,050 Posts
For the 6-pistons which the OP has, don't think anything comes close in performance and street manners as the stock OEM Brembo pads. Yes they dust a lot but nothing works as good as they do for an all around pad. I've got the Z23 and I know fully well you cannot do any type of racing with these or the Z26 (same compound), these are street pads only. The PowerStop Track Day pads are race pads and is what Bondurant uses but will likely be terrible on the street. Porterfield also make a pad that has decent street manners but again, they are not as good as the stock Brembos on the track.

You've got to know that SRT tested dozens of brake pad combinations to find or come up with the one they settled on. There is no one perfect pad that does everything great with no dust so just have to pick the best. If you are racing I'd put the stock pads back on or swap to the track day pads.

PST-1405 front
PST-1053 rear

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one here vin. Switched to the PowerStop Z26's on my SRT and as a performance pad, they suck. After proper bedding, I went to the road course for shake-down and they were absolutely horrendous. Took almost 2 hot laps before I could get any bite at all and brake fade is terrible, even on DOT4 high temp. fluid. Had to do a panic stop on the interstate a while back and almost rear ended the guy in front of me! The wheels would not come close to locking up.

These are going in the trash to be replaced with Hawk pads. Planned on doing it yesterday but was sent the wrong set...aargh! They didn't send pads for the 6 piston, more like the size for a 4 piston. As soon as that gets straightened out, I'll report back.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
I agree 100% Slidd. The SRT guys put numerous hours into development. I laugh at people who b--ch and complain about the stock pads and dust Clean them.

Mopar or No Car

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice all! I'll try some Track Pads in the front and see how that goes, and try to return the Z26s.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one here vin. Switched to the PowerStop Z26's on my SRT and as a performance pad, they suck. After proper bedding, I went to the road course for shake-down and they were absolutely horrendous. Took almost 2 hot laps before I could get any bite at all and brake fade is terrible, even on DOT4 high temp. fluid. Had to do a panic stop on the interstate a while back and almost rear ended the guy in front of me! The wheels would not come close to locking up.

These are going in the trash to be replaced with Hawk pads. Planned on doing it yesterday but was sent the wrong set...aargh! They didn't send pads for the 6 piston, more like the size for a 4 piston. As soon as that gets straightened out, I'll report back.
What pads?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey, having a 16 scat pack and doing regular roadcourse taught me that the biggest weakness for the challenger are the brakes.
I have the 4 pistons brembo
I Had to substitute my rotors twice(xue to hotspots. i have now 40kmiles)
Tried 4 different pads:
1. Original brembo
2. Hawk perf 5.0
3. Carbotech XP10(and xp8 for the rear)
4. Carbotech street pads

1. Brembos create hot spots on rotors and stop power was reduced after 2 or 3 laps
2. Hawk 5.0. bad braking on the street. Terrible on the track(went on sand twice)
3. Carbotech xp10(and xp8): great pads. Very strong braking on the track. They resist at very high temp, fundamental to stop 4400 pounds. But impossible to have for street use. Super noisy and dusty.
4. Carbotech street pads. I have them only for the rear. (Xp10 didnt create too many problem for the first few weeks om the street after installation until now where the noisy is frustrating me ) they work well

Conclusion and personal opinions
1. You need a Better brake Fluid. Castrol SRF is the best. Also Motul600 is a good one. This will help to prevent the fading when the temp raise up.
2. Pads for the street are different from the track ones. I've tried different compromise and didn't work. So I bought a car jack and I switch them before the track. (Super easy and fast)
3. As our common "friend" WASP would say , properly BEDDING is fundamental.

Hope this help.
Fly

I always cringe when I see someone say Hawk pads.....I just cant see how any one uses them. I think there rep was good 20 years ago with the Hawk blues.

I am a pretty big fan of EBC pads but I dont race on a track. I got some yellows on my 2700 lb Honda that are not quite what I want but they never have gave me on "oh shit" moment.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I always cringe when I see someone say Hawk pads.....I just cant see how any one uses them. I think there rep was good 20 years ago with the Hawk blues.

I am a pretty big fan of EBC pads but I dont race on a track. I got some yellows on my 2700 lb Honda that are not quite what I want but they never have gave me on "oh shit" moment.
Agree . i ve been recommended by one of the bigger after market company. I've learned my lesson with hawk.
Ebc yellow is good but for lighter car. And not for the track for sure. Track days need higher temp resistance.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You should think about cooling ducts for your brakes. The SRT front spoiler tries to get some air there. If your not going to up size your brakes might be the next thing you try.

I also think the A8 pushes the car to much and is harder on brakes than an M6 down shifting. There just doesn't seem to be enough compression braking with the A8.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

I'm curious to hear what your experience has been with Hawk pads. Always looking for user feedback.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You should think about cooling ducts for your brakes. The SRT front spoiler tries to get some air there. If your not going to up size your brakes might be the next thing you try.

I also think the A8 pushes the car to much and is harder on brakes than an M6 down shifting. There just doesn't seem to be enough compression braking with the A8.
Scat pack has ducts. I just believe challenger was not original built for roadcourse. (But my scatpack doesn't know it so don't tell her. :) )

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm curious to hear what your experience has been with Hawk pads. Always looking for user feedback.
same as Fly almost rammed some girl on the street on a normal city stopping. Chucked them at 3k miles just nothing I could do to get them to stop. Bedding etc I even dragged the brake pedal a mile to see if heat would do anything just useless.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After reading up on Powerstop's website, they recommend NOT clamping down on the brakes after a hot run. That can cause hot spots on the rotor.

"If you are at a stand-still, the pad will imprint material on the rotor in the shape of the pad."

This is a very interesting read > https://www.powerstop.com/what-causes-brake-pulsation/

I did notice that my rear discs blued a little. Anybody know why? I have the stock Brembo pads.

·
Vendor
12,555 Posts
hate to say it, but we change brake pads for the street on Bigred, and we also change pads from autox to road track, yes a pain in the butt
Luke V

·
Registered
486 Posts
Non-Track Use

My concern for the OEM Brembo pads are not so much the dust as it is the talk about them doing a job of wearing out those 2 piece rotors. I am willing to give up some of that stopping power of the OEM pads if it means the rotors would last longer.
So is it felt that the PowerStop Z23's are a good street pads?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hate to say it, but we change brake pads for the street on Bigred, and we also change pads from autox to road track, yes a pain in the butt
Luke V
Huh, I guess that makes sense if you want the best of both worlds. Do you have any info on the car setup (videos, etc)? Would love to see that.

As for the Z23s, I have the Z26 which has the same pad, it works fine on the street for me.

Reactions: tomlaq

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Huh, I guess that makes sense if you want the best of both worlds. Do you have any info on the car setup (videos, etc)? Would love to see that.

As for the Z23s, I have the Z26 which has the same pad, it works fine on the street for me.
I run the Carbotech Ax6 pads in the front on mine and stock on the rear. They are tons better than stock and Hawk. I also street drive mine and can tell you after numerous Autox events with 2 drivers and about 12,000 street miles they wore very well. Surprisingly there is a lot of pad left and my rotors are in good shape. They aren't too noisy on the street, just use some pad grease. They are however dusty and if you want performance your gonna get dust some that's something you just have to live with. When I wear these out I'm going to try the XP8 front and AX6 rear. I've driven a buddy's Mustang with the XP10s and to me it just doesn't seem you can get those pads hot enough in an Autox to perform properly, track use I'm sure they're great.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,138 Posts
After cleaning my wheels over an over I got some Powerstop Z26 pads for my 6 piston Brembos on my SRT. They worked great on the street. Then yesterday I did my first autocross and they were not good. The format was 1 flying lap and then four laps totaling almost 5 minutes of driving. When I hit the fourth lap the brakes faded pretty bad and I started missing turns. I could barely stop and exit the track on the final lap. Had to mash the pedal with all my strength and it started to slow after a couple seconds. Somebody here said these pads fade at the track so he switched to Hawk brand. Does anybody have a recommendation for low dust, better performing than stock pads, not be loud on the street, that do not fade after 20 minutes on the track, and don't eat the rotors too fast? The autocross was with the Porsche club and they said to put the stock pads back on.

By the way, I did break the pads in properly and had stock rear pads. Also, with my first autocross my time was 50.3 seconds vs. the fastest which was a modified Porsche GTS and ARC Viper which were in the 45 to 46 range. Not bad considering my car weighted 1000+ pounds more and I was a noob.

Porsche GTS at the PCA event at AMP - YouTube
With as easy as you can change the pads out, use the stock ones at the track and then drive home and let the car cool off and then put the Powerstops back in for street driving. You're going to have to wash your car after the track event anyway and take the brake dust off.

By the way, that Porsche driver was smooth!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts