Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, having read many threads on here of how good these are,, and
how some have made mods,, and everyone is in love with them,,
and many compliments towards them. Sooooooooooooooo.....

I have a question... :pimp:

What area(s) are of concern as to breaking?
Basically with a stock car and mainly those with manual..

How much abuse can these things actually take and keep on ticking.. :bigthumb:

Thnxz..

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Not really sure what you're looking for. There have been some little issues with some trim pieces (Rocker panels, roof pieces frayed around sunroof) reported by some owners. Some minor electrical issues (keyfob, battery cable) but nothing major and the vast majority of owners had had trouble free service from their cars. There are a couple of folks that have had an issue with valves. This is an internet forum where many folks come to seek help with problems so any problem is amplified here. Fact is that owner satisfaction is extremely high on these cars and problems are very minimal.

If you are talking about those that have big mods and beat on the cars, the big items are axles and pistons. But these are in cars that are running over 500rwhp and visiting the track. Neither is a problem unless you have a big power adder.

5,134 Posts
My tires keep breaking traction. I beat up on the 6 speed as much as I can, and the more I do the more it seems to like it.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
My rear tires don't wear as well as the front LOL

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
I have yet found a way to abuse the SRT. Couple of missed shifts off the limiter and a couple of thousand hops. One bad cradle bushing is it so far and that may have been new defective or marginal at build time. This is disturbing but should be required viewing before purchasing a 09 or 10 manual. Jury still out on 11.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
WOW

Second post...grammar is right up there with alot of detectives I've worked with. Brakes are an automotive part....(Breaking) Bad is a sitcom, so don't break your neck over the holidays.:guiness:

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's a great video of what these cars actually go through to put that power down. Wow, it's a challenge to engineer anything to take that.

I've seen the wheel hop, but never what it does on the underside to the components. Thanks for the post!

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Holy crap look at that baby rattle! And you say you've done this thousands of times?
-VAGRANT
It was a figure of speach and was speaking of each hop as an event. It would be tough to count cuz the repetitions are machine gun like. Message is it's amazing the mofo does not self destruct. There is also rear gear whine now with no load applied but it showed up after first serious hop and many here have it. Here is another view and especially at 1:30 mark you can watch rear cradle movement typical for stock 6 speeds.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Except for the wheel hop as Valley points out, I drove mine like I stole it and had zero problems in 2 years and 5500 miles.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Second post...grammar is right up there with alot of detectives I've worked with. Brakes are an automotive part....(Breaking) Bad is a sitcom, so don't break your neck over the holidays.:guiness:
If you intend to become the grammar police for the forum let me make a suggestion. In the future you should make sure your corrections do not include misspellings, such as "alot".

Definition: Grammar Nazi (copied/pastied from web definitions)

An idiot.

1) Someone who is too stupid to think of a reasoned response to any argument so resorts to attacking someone's grammar and spelling instead.

2) Someone who has failed to grasp that forums are not in fact English essays. Language has always varied according to context, just as we use different types of words in a job interview compared to with our mates.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I'm still baffled? I was the second post and neither "break" nor "brake" appears in the text.

I had a rant typed up about Spelling and Grammar Nazi's, but deleted it since the poster is a retired LEO so he automatically gets some slack in my book. I see no earlier examples in his previous posts, I'll let it go.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
15 Posts
So how does the wheel hop compare to say the GT500? I speculate that we might see less wheel hop on the 2011 due to its finer tuned suspension.

GT500 wheel hop at about a minute in:

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
You'd have to own all 3 to state a fair comparison. SRT had or still have a couple of both and of course claimed back in May 10 they all have/had the hop and Dodge wasn't the worst of the 3. Speculation is what we are all here to avoid. I'd like to think pushing our hop concerns to the top of Dodge caused some of the changes and maybe the 11's will hop a little less. There is a vid out of a IE392 6 spd pouring on the coals and I could clearly hear the same hop my 09 has when they shifted it in to 2nd gear.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Typical MT crap regardless of the outcome. Did you look at the surface they were on? Why go to an abandoned runway with loose crap all over it to do a 1320 comparison? The cars were practically throwing a roostertail of dirt and crap behind them.
They manage to make every test so flawed as to be useless. Why not go to a strip to test or even a closed bit of highway? I guess they didn't want the Ford to absolutely crush their beloved Camaro.

·
Super Moderator
14,189 Posts
Most of us have had no significant problems. One member had to have his 5.7 block replaced (under warranty) due to a damaged connecting rod. That was the exception, however.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Sun tanned and

Too much time in the sun...just got back for the holidays from San Juan. Thanks for the reality slap. No slack needed....sure won't happen again.:fight:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Typical MT crap regardless of the outcome. Did you look at the surface they were on? Why go to an abandoned runway with loose crap all over it to do a 1320 comparison? The cars were practically throwing a roostertail of dirt and crap behind them.
They manage to make every test so flawed as to be useless. Why not go to a strip to test or even a closed bit of highway? I guess they didn't want the Ford to absolutely crush their beloved Camaro.
I know that street racing is a bad thing and we shouldn't do it, but most boulevards and back roads are unlikely to be VHT prepped. These are street cars. If a manufacturer can't make a car that can handle the "pressures" of the streets, they should just make "race-only" SVT Rs and Drag Packs: forget the "road" part.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
They didn't need to use VHT, but a decent test would have had a decent (clean) surface. It you put them on a loose surface a much more powerful car will have a harder time launching. Just makes for a lousy (MT) test.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts