Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2014 SXT just about paid off and am getting ready to make the switch to an R/T. What can I expect to pay for an '18 base model R/T with just the 28H auto option? I read somewhere that with current rebates and discounts $28k is possible, does that sound right? Thanks in advance guys!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Let me say this, as the owner of a 2015 R/T plus, that has some toys and the automatic. Personally myself, and this is only me so may not be the same for you but, I would much rather have a well optioned SXT with heated/vented seats, the big radio, heated steering wheel, etc. that a R/T with little to no options. That is just me though, same as I would rather have my R/T than a bare bones Scat or SRT. I know all the very pro V8 guys will tell you different but I want to be comfortable if I am going more than a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds. But to each his own. For example I'd LOVE to have a '71 'Cuda, but it would have to have all the "inerds" from my 2015 R/T or better.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2014 SXT just about paid off and am getting ready to make the switch to an R/T. What can I expect to pay for an '18 base model R/T with just the 28H auto option? I read somewhere that with current rebates and discounts $28k is possible, does that sound right? Thanks in advance guys!
Anything is possible when you negotiate and shop around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me say this, as the owner of a 2015 R/T plus, that has some toys and the automatic. Personally myself, and this is only me so may not be the same for you but, I would much rather have a well optioned SXT with heated/vented seats, the big radio, heated steering wheel, etc. that a R/T with little to no options. That is just me though, same as I would rather have my R/T than a bare bones Scat or SRT. I know all the very pro V8 guys will tell you different but I want to be comfortable if I am going more than a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds. But to each his own. For example I'd LOVE to have a '71 'Cuda, but it would have to have all the "inerds" from my 2015 R/T or better.
Thanks for the feedback. I have been driving a barebones SXT and it definitely feels like it's time for an upgrade. For me, just the new refreshed interior alone will feel like a massive upgrade my 2014. I am also looking forward to the driving experience of owning a V8 for the first time.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I have been driving a barebones SXT and it definitely feels like it's time for an upgrade. For me, just the new refreshed interior alone will feel like a massive upgrade my 2014. I am also looking forward to the driving experience of owning a V8 for the first time.
Just thinking out loud, I did not mean to offend, if I did I apologize. There are a lot of different things to look at when considering an upgrade on something like a car. The 8 speed automatic is awesome. If you have not test driven one yet, you will get a kick out that alone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make sure you are clear to them you are talking about the "Out the door" price. A lot of those dealerships will negotiate a great price with you - then you go to sign and fees after fees add up a few thousand more. Don't put up with that.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts

I had a '10 R/TC that was loaded. It got flood totaled and I wanted another Challenger.

I ended up ordering a "base" Scat Pack A8. Only options are the WRT wheels and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. I guess that I can say that it's a stripper.

The new interior layout alone was a huge difference in many ways, and I love it. I have no issues going from leather seating to the standard cloth seats in the SP.

Bottom line for me..............I'm perfectly happy and contented with a "base" Scat Pack over the previous loaded R/TC. I wanted the power, and didn't really want all the toys offered as options.

Best of luck choosing and hunting yours down! :)

Reactions: danondorf

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just thinking out loud, I did not mean to offend, if I did I apologize. There are a lot of different things to look at when considering an upgrade on something like a car. The 8 speed automatic is awesome. If you have not test driven one yet, you will get a kick out that alone.
None taken at all -- yes, that is something I'm very excited about too. Going to be a nice jump from the 5-speed auto I have now!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure you are clear to them you are talking about the "Out the door" price. A lot of those dealerships will negotiate a great price with you - then you go to sign and fees after fees add up a few thousand more. Don't put up with that.
Definitely. I am slowly making progress, and I am in no rush either. I have been very clear about having them in writing clarify to me what the "out the door" price will be. This seems to be the hardest part, getting them to commit in writing or even negotiating over email to begin with. I'm sure they'd like for me to just drop by the dealership to pull their shenanigans, but I'm assuring them that won't happen until I have the best price in writing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hi all,

Just looking quickly at Truecar.com, for a NEW 18 it looks like the low 30's. $28,000 for a used with very low miles maybe. But I really don't know. If you can get a new for $28000 plus nominal documentation fee, that to me sounds real good.

Good luck!

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/...260398,4000254665&trimId=310710&zipcode=01864

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just looking quickly at Truecar.com, for a NEW 18 it looks like the low 30's. $28,000 for a used with very low miles maybe. But I really don't know. If you can get a new for $28000 plus nominal documentation fee, that to me sounds real good.

Good luck!

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/...260398,4000254665&trimId=310710&zipcode=01864
Yeah, so far what I've encountered is low 30's with the lowest being $30k for a base R/T. Having a second thought about maybe getting one of the Sound Group options.

How abysmal is the stock sound system? I love listening to music on the go so I might need to spring for the 276 watt Alpine at least. Or is the stock system decent at least? I don't even think these cars come with CD players anymore that I can tell.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
I'll say I have the Alpine, 6 speaker, 276 watt system. I listen at 38 (max volume), and increased the gain on my MP3s to get a decent volume. Not impressed with "276 watts".

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
How abysmal is the stock sound system? I love listening to music on the go so I might need to spring for the 276 watt Alpine at least. Or is the stock system decent at least? I don't even think these cars come with CD players anymore that I can tell.
I'll say I have the Alpine, 6 speaker, 276 watt system. I listen at 38 (max volume), and increased the gain on my MP3s to get a decent volume. Not impressed with "276 watts".

A Guy
These cars don't come with CD players. You have to use your phone, or Ipod, or thumb drive with music on it through the USB port. I had the 276 Watt system in my '09 Challenger S/E. I bought replacement speakers from Crutchfield. That helped it sound better, but in the end, that 276 Watts is not enough if you want to crank up anything and not get distortion. Keep in mind, I love my music, and if this is an every day driver for you, the 276 Watts might be a compromise.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have the Harman Kardon® GreenEdge® Amplifier
18 Speakers Premium Audio System with 2 big Subwoofers in the spare tire space.
Not impressed at all.
Thinking of pulling out the subwoofers just for more space and weight savings.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have the Harman Kardon GreenEdge Amplifier
18 Speakers Premium Audio System with 2 big Subwoofers in the spare tire space.
Not impressed at all.
Thinking of pulling out the subwoofers just for more space and weight savings.

Dang! What don’t you like about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
Dang! What don’t you like about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tough to explain. I am by no means an audiophile.
First: it doesn't get loud enough. As when I'm outside the car and crank it up a bit, I expect more volume than my little 6 cyl Mustang's standard sound system.
Second: the bass is turned up way too high.
When I open the trunk with the volume medium high the sub-woofers make an awful vibrating sound. Sometimes I get it in the car as well and can't adjust it out.
I don't know, maybe it's me. I do wear hearing aids but I'm not really that bad.:laugh2:
I can't find the detail info right now but the 18 speakers is made up of a number of dual speakers units. I forget the quantity but a number of the speakers that make up the 18 are actually two speakers in one. One unit with a small twitter built in with it. So there are not 18 locations of speakers, in other words.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Tough to explain. I am by no means an audiophile.
First: it doesn't get loud enough. As when I'm outside the car and crank it up a bit, I expect more volume than my little 6 cyl Mustang's standard sound system.
Second: the bass is turned up way too high.
When I open the trunk with the volume medium high the sub-woofers make an awful vibrating sound. Sometimes I get it in the car as well and can't adjust it out.
I don't know, maybe it's me. I do wear hearing aids but I'm not really that bad.:laugh2:
I can't find the detail info right now but the 18 speakers is made up of a number of dual speakers units. I forget the quantity but a number of the speakers that make up the 18 are actually two speakers in one. One unit with a small twitter built in with it. So there are not 18 locations of speakers, in other words.
What year is your car? I had the HK in my 2013, and that convinced me that I wanted it in my 2016. I love it.

I feel your problem is the way you have it set. If you want loudness, you can't have the base at a high level, or those sub-woofers will vibrate out any fillings you have in your teeth. :grin2:

You are right in that they count any 2-way speaker as 2 speakers total, which is a little misleading.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts