Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all stock exhuast on mine except for a mid muffler delete, but it still isnt enough to make the car stand apart. I am wanting something aggressive with deep tone. Any recommendations on catbacks and what's the best sounding with minimal drone.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
Well there is borla, corsa, AWE, solo, flowmaster, magnaflow...etc. I am running corsa extreme with mid pipe delete (still no drone) but after hearing the AWE 3" exhaust I might go that route...just waiting for them to release the 5.7 version.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
What is the AWE 3
3" exhaust with H-pipe instead of X-pipe like most systems out there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Me personally is SLP loudmouth or borla atak. For what you get SLP is the best bang for buck. Borla sounds a tad better but is also twice the price. There is drone with the SLP but I goes away after my engine hits 120 degrees. Also I just welded on my new tips and nkw there’s no drone. It’s a nice deep sound and roars when u step on it.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Me personally is SLP loudmouth or borla atak. For what you get SLP is the best bang for buck. Borla sounds a tad better but is also twice the price. There is drone with the SLP but I goes away after my engine hits 120 degrees. Also I just welded on my new tips and nkw there’s no drone. It’s a nice deep sound and roars when u step on it.
I’ve never heard of drone being tied to engine temperature. With exhaust systems you get what you pay for period. Look at the systems in person or pictures and the more expensive ones look like what they cost. I looked at flow master and magnaflow, no comparison whatsoever, the materials and quality of welding says it all. Same goes for the other brands.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I’ve never heard of drone being tied to engine temperature. With exhaust systems you get what you pay for period. Look at the systems in person or pictures and the more expensive ones look like what they cost. I looked at flow master and magnaflow, no comparison whatsoever, the materials and quality of welding says it all. Same goes for the other brands.
I have no problems with my exhaust and yes when your engine is cold it is much more aggressive sounding . Hence why cold starts sound so much better. Once my engine got warmed up it didn’t produce the drone that it did when it was cold. I’ve never heard of problems with my manufacturer even if they use lesser quality materials. But we’ll see with time I guess

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
287 Posts
I personally prefer the Borla S Type which is what I will be getting on my RT. Nice deep rumble but not so loud it’s obnoxious, and supposed to be engineered so there’s no drone. For me, the ATAK is too loud/raspy (it’s also my daily driver, so that plays a part). Lots of vids on the YouTubes for the Borla systems, have a look.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,112 Posts
Cold starts sound different because the RPMs are higher at cold start

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
Cold starts sound different because the RPMs are higher at cold start

A Guy
There are also differences in cold start spark and fueling fueling tables, not to mention the metal in the exhaust system is cold. On my JGC the exhaust (does not have AES) is raspy if you step on the pedal for the first minute or so and then it goes away as things heat up. My challenger does the same thing, very raspy at cold start up but dies down after a minute or so.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I’ve never owned a car I said, “man this is too loud.”

I guess I haven’t cut enough of the exhaust off.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yeah not on cars but it can get too loud on a jet boat with a 460 BB. :)
Oh I bet! I take back what I said in a way, I have never personally had this feeling in a car I own.

But every poop box Honda hatchback with a missing exhaust absolutely hits this mark. It’s like the loudest lawn mower you’ve ever heard working as hard as it can to go 20 mph. All that noise, no go.

I’m sitting in a King Soopers actually and a 392 Charger just started up and I’m enjoying hearing what my car sounds like from a different perspective.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
Well there is borla, corsa, AWE, solo, flowmaster, magnaflow...etc. I am running corsa extreme with mid pipe delete (still no drone) but after hearing the AWE 3" exhaust I might go that route...just waiting for them to release the 5.7 version.
Just change your midpipes and go with the SRT exhaust... Maybe!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
But every poop box Honda hatchback with a missing exhaust absolutely hits this mark. It’s like the loudest lawn mower you’ve ever heard working as hard as it can to go 20 mph. All that noise, no go.
LMFAO no kidding...they can make a 4 banger exhaust too loud but not a V8. There is a honda owner in my neighborhood that took it up a notch...his back fires everytime he shifts. I swear it takes him a minute to pass my house.

·
Registered
892 Posts
LMFAO no kidding...they can make a 4 banger exhaust too loud but not a V8. There is a honda owner in my neighborhood that took it up a notch...his back fires everytime he shifts. I swear it takes him a minute to pass my house.
Hahahaha me and Honda’s don’t get along, I do not like them lol. I don’t care if that 200lb hatchback can run a 2 second 1/4 mile. It’s still a Honda and it still sucks. Oh, and it’s still ugly and not cool.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts