Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been on the Challenger fence since 2008. I figure by now I must be one of the very few old guys in their 40's who has'nt pulled the trigger on a Challenger yet. I'm almost sure the SRT8 is the way to go. Here's my question. Do I try and get a left over 2010 SRT8 for a good deal or is the 2011 and the 6.4 worth paying extra for. Or do I wait until 2012 and hope they come out with a engine pakage that puts out 500hp from the factory. By the way I live in Western NY and none of the dealer's in my area are discounting the 2010's very much. Maybe 2k to 3k off MSRP :notallthere:
One last thing, I think a supercharger would be in my future if I ever get one of these sweet cars. That's all I got. I will leave it in the hands of the Challenger Pro's now!!!!!!!

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Get the one you want. Doesn't matter what we want you to get. We're not driving it. you are. If you wait you'll never get one. But this is just my thought. I already have one. Good luck

·
Registered
402 Posts
The 2011 do come with alot of upgrades to suspension, engine, as well as some more amenities in the car. That being said, you can a 2010 to do the performance of a 2011 without too much effort. There are no supercharger kits for the 2011 yet, but they eventually come out, the 2010 already have plenty of tested kits. Best thing to do is test drive both and see what you like better. The 2011 is worth the extra as long as the dealership is not jacking up the price.

Oh and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Im from central NY I found most dealers willing to take almost $7500 off srt/8s a dealer in rochester had some good prices if you want send a PM ill pass some name and numbers to you .I bout a 2010 RT loaded for for 10500 off on friday from a dealer he also had a srt .Call around they will work with you. If your local wont travel a bit it will pay off.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
I'd get the most car I can reasonably afford as soon as possible. I'd also opt for a 2010 only because I'm personally not all that fond of the color offerings I'm seeing on the 2011's. You might want to take a hard look at that yourself.
Of course if performance is more important to you....you pretty much have no choice but to wait on the 2011's. Sounds like you've got some performance mods in mind so why not get one (2010) and get started.

Last thing is..... who says you have to deal with a local dealership. I'd expand my search out to 500 miles at least. At worst, you may have to buy a one way airline ticket and drive your new Challenger home 500 miles with a ****e-eating grin on your face. :bigthumb: At best, cut your best deal on the internet and then walk it over to your local dealership and see if they're hungry. You might just drive 10 mile home with a ****e-eating grin on your face. :bigthumb:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Color is #1. If there is a color you "have" to have, that is where I would start.

The best deal right now is a low mileage used SRT, you can pick one up for low 30's.

I wanted a white SRT, 2011 IE was my only option.

If you want to supercharge immediately, 2008-2010 is your best bet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would go for a new 2010. There are plenty left on lots and they are slashing prices like it's cool. You will save a ton of money and you can put that extra cash towards performance upgrades. It won't take much to out perform the 392. I thought about trading but I've already traded once from an RT to an SRT8. I've just been steadily modding and will have a supercharger in the near future.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
figure out how much you want to spend and buy the best car in that price range.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Most likely there won't be a HP bump for 2012 for the 6.4. There might be an 8 speed Auto for it but that is about it.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
...It won't take much to out perform the 392...
Interesting comment. Having had both an 2009 and now a 2011 392, I can say that it will take more than "not much" to outperform the 392. The 392 is a beast with a warranty. This car approaches the feel of my 2008 Corvette in power and performance where my 2009 was not close at all. That's impressive with a car this big.

I'd go for the latest available. Try the 392 and see if you still need the supercharger. Unless you're just a power junkie you may not.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Interesting comment. Having had both an 2009 and now a 2011 392, I can say that it will take more than "not much" to outperform the 392. The 392 is a beast with a warranty. This car approaches the feel of my 2008 Corvette in power and performance where my 2009 was not close at all. That's impressive with a car this big.

I'd go for the latest available. Try the 392 and see if you still need the supercharger. Unless you're just a power junkie you may not.

I'm not saying that the car isn't impressive. I'm just saying that I would pay 38k for a new 2010 and take that left over cash to mod the hell out of it. I'm basing my "not much" comment off of numbers that I've read on this car. I have yet to drive it or see it in person. I'll test drive it to see for myself. Who knows, if I feel that the performance is significant I may trade when the 2012's drop.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
if you want the top performer get the 392

if 425 hp is enough for you then get a left over 2010 srt....go out of state and save $8k+

warranty is better for 2011, performance is better, full body stripes, new rims

wait for 2012-2013 for the 8 speed automatic? may be a smart idea.....

the only flaw of waiting is by 2012-2013 there will be something even better coming out in the future....you can wait forever.....if you can time it perfectly you may find the new 1970 and get the best/fastest car ever, but w/o a crystal ball you'll never know when the peak will be over

i chose a 2011 IE....i wanted something unique.......if a high impact color is something you go for wait a month or 2 and they may announce some new limited colors for 2011

·
Banned
557 Posts
For most, decisions like this largely come down to funds available to spend. Even with unlimited funds, many have a figure in their head they don't want to exceed. Then there is color and how you plan to drive the car. Since you are talking a supercharger, I presume you want something to haul the mail.

RT = Phenomenal bang for the buck. While lower rated than the SRT, dollar for dollar it is a great buy.

2010 SRT = Lots of color choices. Great performance & suspension. And right now, you can find some killer deals. I've heard of people picking them up for as little as $35k.

2011 SRT = Best of the performance & suspension world currently available to Challengers. They changed the colors up quite a bit, so that may be your biggest deterrent. I'd be looking at a black SRT (just bought black RT) so that wouldn't matter to me much. Also prices are more stiff. If money isn't an obstacle, an IE 392 would be MY choice of car. Hard to beat a 6.4 engine that produces 470hp with a 5yr/100k warranty. If going fast is your primary object, keep in mind, there is never substitution for cubic inches. With (enough) money, it will always go faster than a 6.1 SRT or 5.7 RT. That being said, money usually ends up being the limiting factor.

One thing to keep in mind, if you've been waiting since 2008 and money isn't an obstacle I'd steer you towards the IE 392 just because I sense you have been patient and simply want the most bad ass car available. Currently, that is it. As others stated, if you keep waiting, something will always come along better.

Alas, if getting a supercharged version from the factory is important, check with your dealers. I believe both SMS (Saleen) and Mr. Norm's versions are available, at least on the older 2010 models.

SMS 570 and 570X - optimized Dodge Challengers

Mr. Norm's Dodge Challenger

·
Super Moderator
13,975 Posts
The best bang for your performance buck would be to buy a 2010 leftover SRT for a deep discount and supercharge it.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
With a name like David Banner, I say wait for the green 392 monster, and don't get ANGRY!

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
I'd had the same question and after adding up what it would take to equal the higher and broader torque and additional HP of the 392 and then throw in the improvements in suspension, etc. I decided I'd be way better off just ordering and waiting on the 2011 392. The IE is not for me. I'm leaning towards Billet with WPA wheels and pretty much leave it alone - especially since I'll be "out of money" anyway. Way more than I should be spending on a car but you only live once and "I ain't gettin' no younger." :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....if I were currently in the market for a Challenger, I would definitely get the 392. For me, it would have been the car I might have considered worth it (vs. the 2010 SRT) if it was available at the time I purchased my R/T.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts

You should post up some pics of your new 392. Alot of us would love to see it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trigger Pulled

First, Thanks to all who posted on my original question.

Sealed the deal on a 2010 SRT8 last night. Silver/Black, 6 speed manual, No Sunroof. MSRP $43,950....... Got it for $36,000. Made it "out the door" for under $40,000. A decent deal I think, even though it's way to much money to spend on a toy I will drive 2or 3 times a week durring the summer, but like someone else said we ain't getting any younger and if I wait around I'll never get one............Next we get the supercharger. That should take it over 500hp. That should do it.

Got it from a local dealer less than 10 miles from my home so I will be driving it home soon with A **** Eating GRIN on my Face :bigthumb: NICE!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts