Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At autox this weekend in one of the braking zones there was a series of washboard type of bumps, about an inch high, and about 8 inches wide each. The bumps were only on the left side of the track, and therefore only affected the left side of the car. Under braking you'd go over these bumps, and even if you waited until afterwards, the car was unsettled and in bad shape. A few times over these bumps there were some pretty gnarly thuds.

After autox on the way home, I noted that the wheel is now turned about 5 degrees to the right, but the car seems to drive mostly straight.

What did I bend? Tie rod? drag link? something in the rack?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,059 Posts
At autox this weekend in one of the braking zones there was a series of washboard type of bumps, about an inch high, and about 8 inches wide each. The bumps were only on the left side of the track, and therefore only affected the left side of the car. Under braking you'd go over these bumps, and even if you waited until afterwards, the car was unsettled and in bad shape. A few times over these bumps there were some pretty gnarly thuds.

After autox on the way home, I noted that the wheel is now turned about 5 degrees to the right, but the car seems to drive mostly straight.

What did I bend? Tie rod? drag link? something in the rack?
So the steering wheel is no longer centered when you are driving straight?

If that's the case, I don't think you bent anything necessarily, just knocked it out of alignment. I would think taking it into an alignment shop and having them check it would be pretty painless. Hopefully they can fix it on the spot with a fresh alignment as well.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You most likely just knocked it out of alignment. Happened to me a few weeks ago at our national event. There were a couple of pretty gnarly bumps we hit at speed thru a slalom. Knocked my toe in on the front passenger side 1/4" and the back was off too.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You most likely just knocked it out of alignment. Happened to me a few weeks ago at our national event. There were a couple of pretty gnarly bumps we hit at speed thru a slalom. Knocked my toe in on the front passenger side 1/4" and the back was off too.

I hope you're right! Visual inspection didn't show anything that looks visibly bent.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the steering wheel is no longer centered when you are driving straight?

If that's the case, I don't think you bent anything necessarily, just knocked it out of alignment. I would think taking it into an alignment shop and having them check it would be pretty painless. Hopefully they can fix it on the spot with a fresh alignment as well.
Correct. About 5 degrees to the right. Doesn't seem to have a distinct pull. Hopefully toe it just a bit out of wack, and they can adjust it back.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Correct. About 5 degrees to the right. Doesn't seem to have a distinct pull. Hopefully toe it just a bit out of wack, and they can adjust it back.
If you had truly bent something, you would likely be able to feel the steering wheel fighting your attempts at keeping it straight, and the BAS/ESP lights on the dash would probably light up as well.

Unfortunately, I know this out of experience...very recent experience in fact. :frown:

And yes, it will make you sick to your stomach when it dawns on you what you've just done to your poor car :crying:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If you had truly bent something, you would likely be able to feel the steering wheel fighting your attempts at keeping it straight, and the BAS/ESP lights on the dash would probably light up as well.

Unfortunately, I know this out of experience...very recent experience in fact. :frown:

And yes, it will make you sick to your stomach when it dawns on you what you've just done to your poor car :crying:
What happened Nuke?

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
What happened Nuke?

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f118/shhh-very-very-599746/

Notice how the right side wheel & tire is pointed out to the right a little in the middle pic of that first post?

You can't see it, but the left one isn't, it's centered just like the steering wheel.

Driving the car the half mile from where the collision happened to that spot in the pic was a terrible drive. It was fighting me the whole way, the dash was going crazy with lights, people were honking and yelling, "go faster!"

Pretty much a bad day all the way around. :mad:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts

Notice how the right side wheel & tire is pointed out to the right a little in the middle pic of that first post?

You can't see it, but the left one isn't, it's centered just like the steering wheel.

Driving the car the half mile from where the collision happened to that spot in the pic was a terrible drive. It was fighting me the whole way, the dash was going crazy with lights, people were honking and yelling, "go faster!"

Ouch! Yea I missed that thread. Sorry bout your girl, but at least nobody was hurt. How many pieces did the Prius end up in or was it just a pile of dust? :)

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Ouch! Hopefully they will get you car put back together!

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Ouch! Yea I missed that thread. Sorry bout your girl, but at least nobody was hurt. How many pieces did the Prius end up in or was it just a pile of dust? :)

The Prius was able to drive away actually, although I did have to saw off part of the bumper that was dragging the ground first.

We were both stationary about 30 feet apart when I gassed it and ran into the rear quarter panel with my right front fender and wheel/tire. So the damage wasn't terrible, but with my wheel bent outward like that, I had to call a tow truck...and $260 later, it was at a local body shop and I was at home, standing in the bathtub with the shower running to hide the sound of me crying about what I had just done.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Ouch! Hopefully they will get you car put back together!
Oh yeah, just got the estimate, and evidently it's going to take 20 hrs of labor and $3K, but they'll get her fixed.

But on the bright side, I'm no longer going to have really bad bug guts etching on my front fascia since they'll be repainting it as part of the fix. Not sure that's worth all this hassle, but it's at least something positive :|

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Alright, no damage to my car! Wooo!

Pulled the toe way out to one side. alignment got everything back straight again!
Good to hear no perm damage, but now you're left not knowing how far you can really push her, better go back to that track and hit it even harder!

:naughty:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I thought I was the only one going crazy. I just put my new Potenza RE71Rs on and went for a good drive this weekend. I took a cloverleaf on-ramp at some speed I will not say, and on the highway after I noticed the exact same thing the OP mentioned. Steering wheel off about 5 degrees to the right, yet no pull.

Now I won't jump to conclusions yet. It's possible that the toe was slightly out to begin with, which then became more noticeable with the new tires, and I just didn't notice until I drove around for while on them. Either way, I plan to get it on the alignment rack ASAP and see what's up.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought I was the only one going crazy. I just put my new Potenza RE71Rs on and went for a good drive this weekend. I took a cloverleaf on-ramp at some speed I will not say, and on the highway after I noticed the exact same thing the OP mentioned. Steering wheel off about 5 degrees to the right, yet no pull.

Now I won't jump to conclusions yet. It's possible that the toe was slightly out to begin with, which then became more noticeable with the new tires, and I just didn't notice until I drove around for while on them. Either way, I plan to get it on the alignment rack ASAP and see what's up.
What wheels are you running?

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
Glad it was a simple alignment fix OP! Did they tell you what spec/part was the primary culprit?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts