Dodge Challenger Forum banner

14461 - 14480 of 14503 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Looks awsome! I gotta clean mine up once all the thunderstorms pass. Downside to the heat extractor vents.
I agree, that’s why during thunderstorms I cover her up cus i agree those heat extractors are cool but don’t help the engine cleanliness lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Stars & Stripes Scatpack
186 Posts
Exactly I been looking at a few covers haven't bit the bullet yet. Any recommendations? Also love the strut brace I have a BMR which looks alot like yours minus the painted logo. What brand is it? Or is it modified looks kind of like a fuse box cover but never know.
I agree, that’s why during thunderstorms I cover her up cus i agree those heat extractors are cool but don’t help the engine cleanliness lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Reactions: INK

·
Registered
196 Posts
So I never really got that fun feel with the upgraded Alpine system which made me long for my old car's audio system. I'm kind of picky with my audio until it's "fun enough". I bought a FiiO BTR5 portable DAC/Amp a couple of months ago and never thought to stick it in the car even though I've been using it non-stop everyday in my home and on the move.

This tiny devil will drive 90% of headphones/speakers at an ear damaging loudness with no distortion, and has a full, fun sound. I've owned 3 different older models but this is on a whole other world in terms of sound quality and power.

So here comes the Challenger part... I looked at it and decided to stick it in the AUX input, connected the BTR5 to my phone via LDAC bluetooth, full volume on the phone and the BTR5, lowered the volume in my car and it was loud but sounded very clean, unmuffled you could say. Much cleaner and funner than the built-in DAC chip in the car, specially when it comes to vocals, drums, and guitar. The way the instruments separated into each speaker was amazing, vocals felt like they were singing right in the middle of the cabin.

I'll have to do more testing tomorrow as I'm not sure if the AUX port is just that much better than the bluetooth connection or it's the BTR5 that's making the difference. (The built-in car audio converter could be overriding it) It does make a huge difference in clarity, separation, and feel with my earphones, speakers, and headphones at home so I'm inclined to believe the former for now.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
The aux has to be a analog input, so the car has to be doing the conversion, but the device could be sending a better audio signal to the car

A Guy

2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
21 Posts
The aux has to be a analog input, so the car has to be doing the conversion, but the device could be sending a better audio signal to the car

A Guy
Hey maybe I can contribute instead of only asking questions for once! I got tons of questions about this stuff in my telecom days. Bluetooth is likely compressing the audio and then dealing with whatever conversion happens in the car. You'll probably get a slightly better sound from the aux just by nature of having the wired connection. (same principle audiophiles will tell you wired headphones sound better than BT, you can send more signal with less latency) Not sure what happens when you put something between the source and the car though. Interested to see what you find!

2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
21 Posts
So I never really got that fun feel with the upgraded Alpine system which made me long for my old car's audio system. I'm kind of picky with my audio until it's "fun enough". I bought a FiiO BTR5 portable DAC/Amp a couple of months ago and never thought to stick it in the car even though I've been using it non-stop everyday in my home and on the move.

This tiny devil will drive 90% of headphones/speakers at an ear damaging loudness with no distortion, and has a full, fun sound. I've owned 3 different older models but this is on a whole other world in terms of sound quality and power.

So here comes the Challenger part... I looked at it and decided to stick it in the AUX input, connected the BTR5 to my phone via LDAC bluetooth, full volume on the phone and the BTR5, lowered the volume in my car and it was loud but sounded very clean, unmuffled you could say. Much cleaner and funner than the built-in DAC chip in the car, specially when it comes to vocals, drums, and guitar. The way the instruments separated into each speaker was amazing, vocals felt like they were singing right in the middle of the cabin.

I'll have to do more testing tomorrow as I'm not sure if the AUX port is just that much better than the bluetooth connection or it's the BTR5 that's making the difference. (The built-in car audio converter could be overriding it) It does make a huge difference in clarity, separation, and feel with my earphones, speakers, and headphones at home so I'm inclined to believe the former for now.

Follow up: Not sure what type of phone you're using but LG has been putting some real high quality DACs in their flagship devices up until recently. And they still have a headphone jack in a bunch of models, so you can still use the Aux. But it typically also requires specific music formats and players, so I suppose it depends on how far you want to take it for that quality.

LG DACs rundown

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey maybe I can contribute instead of only asking questions for once! I got tons of questions about this stuff in my telecom days. Bluetooth is likely compressing the audio and then dealing with whatever conversion happens in the car. You'll probably get a slightly better sound from the aux just by nature of having the wired connection. (same principle audiophiles will tell you wired headphones sound better than BT, you can send more signal with less latency) Not sure what happens when you put something between the source and the car though. Interested to see what you find!
Funnily enough this reminds me of something similar, me and a friend were curious and chained together a couple of combos. Because he was convinced his $50 earphones sounded better than my $250 set due to his Schiit DAC/Amp.

A BTR3 BT Amp/DAC as source and a much better Schiit Amp/DAC as output.

Then an iPhone source and the Schiit via an AUX.

Lastly, BTR5 BT as source to the Schiit output.

The latter proved superior and removed any distortion at very high volumes, bass was much tighter and vocals were clearer compared to the other two combos. The difference between the cheaper set and the expensive set was much more pronounced. (Which then caused him to upgrade haha)

So the theory that it can supplement the Challenger's audio chip isn't far off from being true. Perhaps it brings out more potential out of the Alpine system.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So I tested it some more going back and forth between my phone and the BTR5.

There's only a very slight difference in detail between the two. Sound separation is better on the BTR5.

One thing I can say for sure is that the BTR5 makes the volume so much louder than Aux to the phone or BT could ever do. I switched the wire from my phone to the device with the car in max volume and it was horrifyingly loud. My right ear still doesn't feel so good.

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
438 Posts
Nice trip work!
By any chance you have a write-up on how the shifter swap was done? much appreciated!! 😊
Don’t have a write up but I found this video to cover the steps well enough.

Reactions: McChizzle and harry

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Changed oil 5 qts Mobil 1 w/Mopar filter
Added ABS cover
Replaced vinyl wrap on rear trunk lid ( its a T/A )
Had factory paint defects on rear quarters wet sanded and polished
Paired new iPhone to car
Installed black satin catch can
Replaced all four SRT rotors
Installed new front passenger speed sensor
Went to Chevrolet dealer and test drove a NEW C8 ( WOW )

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,326 Posts
Changed oil 5 qts Mobil 1 w/Mopar filter
Seems like 5 quarts is on the low side of quantity of oil needed?

@vpzyck
You be livin’ on the EDGE posting a picture of your license plate. :devilish:

Reactions: Gila Hemi
14461 - 14480 of 14503 Posts