Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
16381 - 16400 of 16602 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
560 Posts
I wonder if the title will be branded as a Theft Recovery. I would beg the insurance company to total it.
In Michigan I believe the only black marks on a title are a salvage title, and the car would have to be totaled for that. Definitely not totaled, so that should not be one of my new problems.

Actually doesn't sound bad at all, mirror, wheels/tires, all bolt on stuff you would never know, just replace them. If nothing suspension is bent on the corner with damaged wheel, get a new one and ignore it.
Paint, well, paint can be fixed, and hopefully the doors themselves are intact, but again, no biggie. A shopping cart won't total a car, a replacement door never will. BUT how is the interior? That is the part that you touch, does it just feel "violated"? If someone just had fun in it, get a nice detail cleaning, new wheels/tires out of insurance, and paint fixed. ANYTHING that can be attributed to the theft make sure to itemize. The fact you found it while it was still intact, probably saved the insurance company thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars, they shouldn't fight you.
If it is labelled as a "theft recovery" get detailed pictures before, and get a true adjustment on diminished value from them.
Personally, I think I'd be happy to get it back, way cool car!
No major body damage, but I lost $750 on the trade of my 2019 because the roof had been repainted. Every body panel that doesn't have factory paint is a hit to trade-in value, and also is never the same quality of finish you get from the factory. While the actual damage does not seem to be major, except for the RR which I am sure needs a bearing and spindle in addition to the wheel, having another Challenger at the body shop before its first oil change is a gut punch.

My detailer is going to inspect the car with me at the body shop to see how much of the factory paint they can save. Between the PPF and ceramic, I think a lot of it will be savable.

Figures ! Cops are just CSI Crime scene investigation. ( and not doing very well at that, not looking for the perps) You had to do the legwork yourself ! annoying.
Man that Pic looked like Fallujah, except for the Challenger on the rollback & Grand in the foreground.

They keep on, its going to go 'wild west' and it will get out of control real quick.
It didn't end well for horse thieves back in the day. Today a persons car is their personal transportation and is needed in most cases to make a living.
Such a hassle ! I hate that whole situation 'Hellraisin' .
best regards
parrott
Yeah, that's right at the corner of Mack Ave and Gratiot Ave in one of Detroit's worst neighborhoods. Once upon a time when I was young and more reckless I used to go to an after hours club down there and ended up tending bar there for a bit. It's always been a bit of a free fire zone. The Fallujah reference is on point.

I have to say, the Detroit Police treated me really well and were super helpful. Very different police department than I used to deal with back in the day.

Any damage to the seats/carbon fiber/steering wheel? If just (sorry, not to gloss over the damage) exterior issues, much easier to fix. Is a new wheel available to order? Can you get the mirror, and get into a good shop

Wheel does seem readily available 6CT34MALAC

A Guy
Seats appear OK except for a couple footprints and the fact that they got rained on through the broken window. There is broken glass all over the console so I'm sure the carbon fiber is damaged to some extent, but I didn't have too much time to inspect it before it had to head for the impound. Steering wheel appears fine. We found the mirror 50 feet away where it was ripped off by a tree branch when they were barreling through an alley, currently in the trunk.

Body shop has already warned me "it's taking a long time to get parts right now and we can't make anyone any promises on turnaround time."

I really appreciate all the thoughts guys. This has been soul crushing, and the words of encouragement from folks who love their cars as much as I do have been really helpful. I've been in a really dark place since it was taken. I'll post the theft video in it's own thread this weekend once I can sit down to edit it. You should all see it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
2,180 Posts
I wonder if the title will be branded as a Theft Recovery. I would beg the insurance company to total it.
In most states......it would only have a branded title IF the insurance company had made the owner whole with a check. Since it was recovered within the 30 day period, I’m going to guess that it will still be a good title.

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
363 Posts
In Michigan I believe the only black marks on a title are a salvage title, and the car would have to be totaled for that. Definitely not totaled, so that should not be one of my new problems.

No major body damage, but I lost $750 on the trade of my 2019 because the roof had been repainted. Every body panel that doesn't have factory paint is a hit to trade-in value, and also is never the same quality of finish you get from the factory. While the actual damage does not seem to be major, except for the RR which I am sure needs a bearing and spindle in addition to the wheel, having another Challenger at the body shop before its first oil change is a gut punch.

My detailer is going to inspect the car with me at the body shop to see how much of the factory paint they can save. Between the PPF and ceramic, I think a lot of it will be savable.

Yeah, that's right at the corner of Mack Ave and Gratiot Ave in one of Detroit's worst neighborhoods. Once upon a time when I was young and more reckless I used to go to an after hours club down there and ended up tending bar there for a bit. It's always been a bit of a free fire zone. The Fallujah reference is on point.

I have to say, the Detroit Police treated me really well and were super helpful. Very different police department than I used to deal with back in the day.

Seats appear OK except for a couple footprints and the fact that they got rained on through the broken window. There is broken glass all over the console so I'm sure the carbon fiber is damaged to some extent, but I didn't have too much time to inspect it before it had to head for the impound. Steering wheel appears fine. We found the mirror 50 feet away where it was ripped off by a tree branch when they were barreling through an alley, currently in the trunk.

Body shop has already warned me "it's taking a long time to get parts right now and we can't make anyone any promises on turnaround time."

I really appreciate all the thoughts guys. This has been soul crushing, and the words of encouragement from folks who love their cars as much as I do have been really helpful. I've been in a really dark place since it was taken. I'll post the theft video in it's own thread this weekend once I can sit down to edit it. You should all see it.
quick question as i have the same car..so thieves can just break a window and plug in to the computer and make a key? is that how you think they stole it? if so do they still have a key or what will need to be done to remove the new fob access to make sure once it is repaired they dont come back and drive off with a perfect car?

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
560 Posts
quick question as i have the same car..so thieves can just break a window and plug in to the computer and make a key? is that how you think they stole it? if so do they still have a key or what will need to be done to remove the new fob access to make sure once it is repaired they dont come back and drive off with a perfect car?
Yes, they now have a key and I will have to get the keys reset or they could just walk up to it and drive it away again.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes, they now have a key and I will have to get the keys reset or they could just walk up to it and drive it away again.
thats crazy,,it would seem to be a huge flaw in dodges system that they can access the system without any special knowledge and just make a key. As by looking at what they did to the car for just a joyride i doubt they wer the brightest bulbs on the block..hell i figured for sure it was in a conex headed oversea or being chopped up...

I would have never guessed that someone with the skills to steal a car in 3 min would just be doing it for the thrill.

·
Banned
2017 TA Green Go.
272 Posts
That is the sad part it takes no skill. Criminals teach each other. I would take extreme measures in detroit. In car cams, steering and brake locks, battery cut out switch hidden somewhere in the car. Guard dogs, private security, etc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a killswitch or two is in order.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
560 Posts
thats crazy,,it would seem to be a huge flaw in dodges system that they can access the system without any special knowledge and just make a key. As by looking at what they did to the car for just a joyride i doubt they wer the brightest bulbs on the block..hell i figured for sure it was in a conex headed oversea or being chopped up...

I would have never guessed that someone with the skills to steal a car in 3 min would just be doing it for the thrill.
We can thank the U.S. Government for that. The car companies aren't allowed to keep their key programming technology proprietary, because it's considered an antitrust violation since independent body shops wouldn't be able to program keys. That means basically anyone can buy the same programmers the body shops use, which is how they are stolen. On a vehicle with a physical steering wheel lock, they still have to break the column or defeat the ignition key. On a car with a pushbutton start like Challengers & Chargers, they can just program a key and the car will unlock the steering wheel for them.

The Detroit Police said they've seen security footage of thieves getting away with 5 Hellcats in under 5 minutes at a dealership, one guy programming and driver to take off with each vehicle. The fastest they've seen an individual vehicle taken was 31 seconds.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
On a car with a pushbutton start like Challengers & Chargers, they can just program a key and the car will unlock the steering wheel for them.
It's even easier as there is no locking steering column on these cars.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
560 Posts
It's even easier as there is no locking steering column on these cars.

I did not realize that. I'm on my third and have never tried turning the wheel without it running. I'm obviously very observant :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
I did not realize that. I'm on my third and have never tried turning the wheel without it running. I'm obviously very observant :rolleyes:
It's crazy I know, just seems like it should be there, I almost thought it was required as all cars used to have them but guess not.

·
Registered
363 Posts
this sucks, so the only thing that could have possibly helped is if you put the car in valet mode every time you park it? that way they might not mess it up joyriding.

i guess im going to look into a alarm but with my luck i would not have it on when the thieves arrive anyway...i think they should make stealing a car like stealing a horse in the old days, if the crime had any penalty attached it might just slow it down some.

you would think the mopar alarm would kill the start circuit that seems pretty easy to do, maybe ill add a latching relay with a reset button under the hood to the factory system just for shits and giggles.

it also bothers me that the police dont really seem to care much about who stole it or catching anyone.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Scat Pack WB; Octane Red, M6
43 Posts
Seems to me it might have been better if you had not found it and let it get stripped. You could have gotten a new unmolested car.

Since you did get it back have you thought about this:
  • carbon fiber roof panel from truecarbon i think
  • carbon fiber side mirrors
  • carbon fiber panels foe anything else damaged
  • did you check the oil to make sure they didnt put something in it?
  • did you check the fuel system to make sure they didnt put sugar or tampax in it (tampax comes apart and stops up everything)
  • with the rim cracked, check the subframe and underside of the car closely.. which im sure you thought of but i mention anyway.

I'm sorry to hear it brother. This really sucks! Maybe adding the carbon might help add a lil positive to a lot of negative.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
560 Posts
you would think the mopar alarm would kill the start circuit that seems pretty easy to do, maybe ill add a latching relay with a reset button under the hood to the factory system just for shits and giggles.
I believe the factory system does disable the start circuit, but as soon as the new key is programmed that doesn't matter anymore, because the car doesn't think it's being stolen.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,169 Posts
this sucks, so the only thing that could have possibly helped is if you put the car in valet mode every time you park it? that way they might not mess it up joyriding.

i guess im going to look into a alarm but with my luck i would not have it on when the thieves arrive anyway...i think they should make stealing a car like stealing a horse in the old days, if the crime had any penalty attached it might just slow it down some.

it also bothers me that the police dont really seem to care much about who stole it or catching anyone.
This is where the Sprint Booster can help. It has a Valet mode with three levels, 55%, 65% and 75% reduction in acceleration, and it also has a Pedal Lock mode, which leaves the vehicle with no acceleration. Both of these modes are password protected. It's not an anti-theft device, but it is an anti-dumba$$ device which can make a vehicle basically miserable or impossible to drive.

Reactions: Gront and Slidd

·
Registered
111 Posts
Took my daughter to a small parking lot and let her into drivers seat…. explained the basics of it all then let her roll on “drive” to get a feel for how braking and handling the wheel feels… she looked comfortable and got a good impression of it all… she already called dibs on the car (as if)…

she really enjoyed firing off a few revs..

·
Registered
363 Posts
I believe the factory system does disable the start circuit, but as soon as the new key is programmed that doesn't matter anymore, because the car doesn't think it's being stolen.
thats where installing simple holding relay under the hood comes in, once activated it locks in till you either press a button or covertly pull a fuse powering it's coil, i think ill just power mine thru a added accessory fuse in the front box and mount the relay under it as im guessing i can easly disable the start relay from there. im ordering up a factory wiring diagram and ill install this over the winter for added piece of mind.

holding circuits are just a relay that once triggered stays on till you open the circuit. so if the factory alarm gos off for .1 second the holding relay locks shut and the car is going nowhere until you power it off or they pull the battery and reconnect...most thieves id guess would be long gone by then

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
2,180 Posts
Took my daughter to a small parking lot and let her into drivers seat…. explained the basics of it all then let her roll on “drive” to get a feel for how braking and handling the wheel feels… she looked comfortable and got a good impression of it all… she already called dibs on the car (as if)…

she really enjoyed firing off a few revs..
Cool!

How old is she? They grow up fast.....and will be taking that written test before ya know it.

16381 - 16400 of 16602 Posts