Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of questions for those who have modified your Challenger. How long did you wait after getting your car before you started modifying it?

Also, what did you do with the factory original parts you replaced? Did you save them in case you want to restore your car back to original condition at a later date, did you sell them on eBay or Craiglsist (or elsewhere), or did you just toss them?

·
Registered
988 Posts
A couple of questions for those who have modified your Challenger. How long did you wait after getting your car before you started modifying it?
About 5 mins :thumbsup:

Also, what did you do with the factory original parts you replaced? Did you save them in case you want to restore your car back to original condition at a later date, did you sell them on eBay or Craiglsist (or elsewhere), or did you just toss them?
Put them in boxes so I can return it to stock if I want. I am not planning to add anything that requires a tear down.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mine didn't even get off the lot before I modded it :D Part of my terms of sale was that the dealer throw in and install the T-grip shifter for me. It delayed their delivery to me by a few days since they didn't have one on hand and had to order out.

All of my parts are being saved so I can put it back to stock someday if I want to.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I almost always start modding immediately after delivery. I keep the parts until I sell the car. Sometimes they go with the car and sometimes they don't. Which reminds me, I have a garage full of parts I need to sell.

·
Super Moderator
14,134 Posts
Within the first 6 months, I made several mods to my car. With the exception of a MOPAR CAI and a BT Catch Can, all the rest were interior and engine bay dress-up items- and I am not yet done.

Everything that I replaced is in plastic bags in the wheel well of my car (except for the original air intake that is in a box in my shed). It is important to keep them if you have to go back to the dealer for warranty work as well as for long-term value.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Heads, exhaust, cam, seat skins and soon original block all stored away. ( owning a few storage sheds has benefits).

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Started my mods at 400 miles with a catch can. Now I have too many mods to list lol. I still have all my stock parts save the wheels which I sold and my factory exhaust.

Jack

·
Registered
102 Posts
How long did you wait after getting your car before you started modifying it?
Bought the hood shocks, functional vents and intake about 3 weeks after I purchased the car.

Also, what did you do with the factory original parts you replaced?
A few of the parts (intake, springs, stock shifter plate) I kept in case I sell it, but the original hood was trash after the wreck...so I assume that's in a scrap yard somewhere...oh, and I threw away the ram head after I had the nose badge shaved.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I gradually started to mod. All my stock parts are in boxes in another garage.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
started within a month and have kept everything (except hood struts that didn't come on the car) in case I want to put them back on (I don't see that happening).

·
Registered
154 Posts
mods

made my first mod today. replaced the nose badge with the u.s.army sign like in my signature. looks awsome. put the rams head in the glove box for now. also the rams head poped off real easy, with those plastic prybars. my next mod i have, but have to get the catch can and z-bar painted pcp before i install it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
....kept most, tossed some...by the time the car needs a resto, I'll be long time dead

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I buy what I like that gets taken off, when I'm not broke that is...

·
Banned
557 Posts
Bought 1/11/11. Did first mod (skip shift eliminator) on 1/31/11. Would like to do more but for now that is it. With this mod, there was nothing to replace but instead add (extra wire harness). Easy enough to pull if warranty work is required. ;)

One of my most modified vehicles was an '04 Jeep Wrangler I owned....6" lift, 35" tires, rock guards, etc. Built really well for offroading but was kind of a pain to use as a daily driver. On that build I sold the factory parts on the Jeep forum, eBay and Craigslist. Looking back I wish I had kept so I could return to factory and sell the aftermarket parts when I was done toying around. I took a bath on all the upgrades.

Given my past experience, I anticipate boxing up the original Challenger parts to enhance value way down the road, or to recoup when/if I ever sell.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
...How long did you wait after getting your car before you started modifying it?
My first Challenger [S/E] I bought on a Wednesday, by Saturday I had changed the wheels and added a go-wing. My 2nd Challenger, an R/T I started ordering parts the day I took delivery.

Also, what did you do with the factory original parts you replaced?
I always keep parts which is why I now have a set of 18" wheels for an S/E that I don't really need ;) I always save the parts, having said that I just ordered some wheels for the R/T and I'll probably sell the chrome clads.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Example.... I ordered a Cervini CAI from HHP and I wanted to add a Catch Can. But, the stock R/T air intake has a silencer in the way. I either needed to mod my stock air intake, get a SRT air intake or some after market parts to make it all work. So I bought a complete air intake off the local craigslist for $10. I cut the silencer off and used some black RTV and plastic hood insulation plug to seal the hole.

OBTW - The CAI has been back ordered for almost a month. I had to call Cervini's to find this out as HHP must be in a communicationss black out. As I have NOT received much if any communications from them even though I have called, left a msg and sent a few emails. But, they did charge my CC the day I ordered it. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts