Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fello Mopar Mavins,

Recently picked up a 2010 SRT M6 car with 8200 original miles from a Toyota dealer. Looks stock except for a Magnason Supercharger.

I am an old mopar guy and have played with 60s-70s mopars for all of my adult life. I know nothing of the modern mopars.

Friends warn me that the diff is my weak link.

Can anyone tell me exactly what diff it has and the pros/cons? Axle, drive shaft issues?

This car is a lot of fun.

Thanks for your time,

Varooom

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
You have a Getrag 226mm limited slip diff.

The major things to watch out for:

*wheelhop - these diffs don't tolerate this well; the crush bearing clearance will change and whining from the diff is symptom of those issues.

*half shafts - on a stock vehicle, they'll be okay.

With a S/C - hard launches (esp. with slicks) will reach the limits of the stock half shafts. They'll snap at the shaft is where the failure point will turn up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hal H,

Thanks for your response. This will not be a track car so no slicks. Although I may go to Gulfport Dragway once to see what it will do I will stay on street tires.

Have done a couple hard 1st gear launches with wheel spin and smoke, no wheel hop yet but I will watch for it. We have lots of smooth asphalt around here, maby that helps with wheel hop.

I got an amazing deal on the car, the Toyota dealership just wanted to get rid of it. I have been able to put some money away for upgrades.

I guess I will start with a pair of axles for peace of mind. The Drive Shaft Shop looks like a good place to start.

The SRT is very comfortable in the garage with the 69 340 GTS and 70 SuperBee .

Thanks for your time and response,

Varooom

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
So I have a 6 speed car built motor ect. Wheel hop killed the rear end and cracked the case. I would suggest the opposite. I would have the cradle bushings replace with poly bushings.
2 reasons. No more wheel hop and busted or messed up rear ends.
And axles and driveshafts are easier ( do it yourselfer ) than cradle bushings
I have done all of it except bushings and I have all the tools and will be in a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
And yes dss for axles and driveshaft

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks us1champ,

I will follow your recommendations. Experience is great wisdom.

I will check DDS for cradle bushings

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Cradle bushings buy from energy suspension DSS does not sell them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts