Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have a 2010 FF R/T with 4k miles on it...I found a 2010 FF SRT in Indiana (about 6 hours from me). I asked about pricing and this is what the dealer said (mind you the SRT has 40mi on it):

Thanks for your inquiry on the 2010 Charger, My name is Lucas Jones. have you had a chance to see the vehicle on our Ebay page? the bottom price is listed on Ebay, which is at $40,479 + sales tax. MSRP is $47,875. This vehicle is New and never titled, The selling price is a non-negotiable Internet price.

You think he can go lower?! I would be trading in the R/T and can put a couple thousand down; would want to keep the same payment.

Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
Everything is negotiable. I should know, I am an antique dealer. However, the dealer at any given time has his limits based on his level of confidence in the car, and you have your level of uneasiness in maybe missing out on the car, which the dealer is well aware of in potential buyers. Make a lower offer, but base it on your study of other cases. Doing your homework is what leads to an appropriate, tough offer. If you can't negotiate price further, then negotiate interest rate. Then, negotiate throw-ins, service coupons, accessories, shop credit, whatever. Car price is not the ONLY thing with built in profit. The best way to negotiate is to have pen in hand, and offer to sign the instant they agree to your price. If they don't bite, be prepared to walk. If you walk, be prepared that they might call you back to accept, and they also might move on and sell to someone else.

·
Registered
574 Posts
"Non-negotiable"

Haha, ya get real. ragtop said is correctly. Dodge hyped up the FF color and they didn't sell like they thought. It's a unique color yes, but that doesn't mean anything to them if it's not selling, which it obviously isn't. Tell them they can hold it even longer if they don't want to meet your price.

·
Registered
558 Posts
that's right, make your offer, and tell them you are happy to have them hold it a bit longer. I forgot, when I was looking at a used car a couple months ago, I told them that at their price, they would have it until July. If I had to wait, then I would, but couldn't we both agree that I was NOT buying at their price, and if we both moved the clock ahead 6 months, then maybe we could agree to MY price and make it easy. They didn't bite, but I found a new example of the same car below their used price. Now they will hold it through July, AND have to find a new buyer. The only time to pay an asking price is if you really can't live without it, and don't want to miss THAT example (or, if you know the price will be rising). You are on pretty sound ground with a 2010 FF to tell them to hold it longer. But don't quibble over small change and risk losing it either if you really want it. By the way, IMHO, they should be $8k to $9k off MSRP on a 2010 SRT, if they are looking to sell it, not $7400.

·
Registered
252 Posts
They might not go lower but someone will. From what i've seen/heard/read FF's didnt sell very well and are being moved at pretty crazy low prices. Set the price that fits your budget dont forget to work out the trade in at the same time. They might try to work you down on the trade "since they are giving you a deal on the srt". I think the biggest thing working against you is you have a FF r/t which the dealer is prolly going to take it in the rear trying to unload as well. :( Good luck man just stick to your guns!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good deal!

I will do some research on what some 2010 SRT's are going for on dealers lots. That will give me a good go by of how low they can really go.

A plus is that I can get employee pricing, so that drops it a couple of thousand more (about 2300).

A negative is with 4k miles on my car the absolute most I can get is 35k. So I need to at least get the SRT somewhere near there!

·
Banned
557 Posts
Be careful on your trade-in, I suspect they will try to rape you.

Which brings up an interesting point many forget. Some dealers like to push volume and will sell new cars dirt cheap and offer less trade-in. Other dealers prefer to inflate trade-in values to make their customers feel better, but "can't" go as low on selling a new vehicle.

In the end, it's all about the final deal.

For instance, paying $40k for the SRT and getting a $37k trade-in leaves a net difference of $3k owed (plus any existing RT loan balance). Someone else may offer $38k for the SRT but only $34k trade-in, leaving a net difference of $4k owed (plus any existing RT loan balance).

Obviously the first deal is better overall, even though they have a "higher" asking price on the SRT.

Also, be careful about telling them you are shopping for $X/mo payment. Dealers and their finance managers are good at hiding money and they can get you this way. It's best to get pre-approved at your own lender and use a simple interest loan calculator to determine the monthly payment after you account for sell price - trade in + any balance owed.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I see a lot of 2010 SRTs for around 36k right now, all the good colors including FF. When the 2012s hit dealers they will drop even further.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just doing a quick search on cars.com there is a 2010 FF SRT8 for $35,875; this can at least give me a go-by

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Not that I am trying to tell you guys every little detail, but I feel some comfort in talking to other who know more about the current value of the Challengers, and some who may have dealer insight. The latest I got was:

MSRP: $47,875
Invoice: $45,358
Employee Price: $43,165
Rebates: $4500

Total Price: $38,665

So the price is coming down a bit; not sure how much further he can go, but when there are still new FF SRT on lots going for around $36K, I think he can come down a bit more!

Another plus is Dodge is offering special financing on the FF as well!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys, need some reassurance help, info here; just got off the phone with the dealer, they said the most that they would give me for my car is $29,400....he said that they look through the auction system and such and that number is what they think they could sell my car for.

He said the lowest the could go on the SRT was the $38.6k that he stated earlier, and they he would get fined by Dodge if he sold any cheaper; well I told him I found a similar car (same options) for $35.8k...he just said "hmmmm, dont know how they are doing that"....I told him the max payment I wanted, and if he could work the numbers to fit then fine, if not, I would call him in 6 months when he still had the car.

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
It sounds like you'd take a big hit on the trade for the R/T (yours would have been in the $38-40K range for a FF Classic 6-speed).

The performance between a '10 R/T and '10 FF SRT will be some, but not as much as comparing the '11 R/T to the '11 SRT - even with the 'reduced' price on their FF SRT8, you're paying for it on the back end with the trade.

If you had a white interior R/T option, about the only unique change is getting the FF SRT8 wheels (and I assume this also has the 6-speed?) The manual option was still extra cost R/T ($995) and SRT ($695).

If going to the auto, you're trading for lower option costs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dealers ARE wanting to move these cars...yes, it's not as popular a color as Chrysler thought. I got my FF R/T about three weeks ago from a dealer in Ga. who was trying to GIVE them away! He said that was not the color for his neck of the woods.lol I got a good number right off the bat, then made a counter offer even lower. I ended up paying 28 OUT THE DOOR. And i saw a FF SRT for 35 yesterday, almost makes me want to trade, but like was said earlier, not much diff. in performance, and i have a white stripe, black interior car...and i love it!! And everyone that has seen it has complimented the color...it's nice to have the only one like it around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Do not take a bath on your trade. If FuriousF paid 28k OTD and your dealer is offering you 29k in trade i doubt you'll get a much better price. The problem is you are a member of the same market you are trying to capitalize on. From all the posts I've read a 5.7 and 6.1 are close enough to not lose your shirt over, especially because you already have the color you want. Many here have said that for less hassle and cost you can upgrade your RT and be satisfied. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My guess is there's a lot more wiggle room on the SRT. You're getting an inflated trade in price on your car because of that. Even then, best case you're going to be $11-$12K out of pocket on the trade plus tax, tags, title- -it wouldn't be worth it to me.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
585 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts