Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I stopped by my local stereo shop that has done work for me in the past. I asked about adding a sub just to add a little bass to the music, I'm not looking for something that can be heard 2 blocks away, just something for me.

I love the way the factory kicker box is off to the side and doesn't take up a lot of room in the trunk so I asked about building a custom box exactly like the factory one. The guy said he could make the box, carpet it same color as the trunk liner, and include a 10" alpine (forgot what model but think its the latest) or kicker cvr sub, 400 mono amp, didn't ask what brand, all wiring including the line converter and installation, I'm looking at 345.

What do you guys think about the price?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm certainly not a stereo expert but that sounds like a pretty decent price to me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I am a stereo expert, that's a great price... almost too good. Probably used/stolen parts or a cheap Chinese amp.Probably doesn't value his labor highly as well if he's including making a box for that price. Go for it but make sure it all works before you never hear from him again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I understand your concern with poor quality installers but this is a legit shop and has done work for me in the past, but not in building a box. He's installed alarms, stereos and tint in other cars. The only thing that concerns me is that I don't know the brand of the amp.

I'm also considering just buying everything from him and doing the install myself. Although it has been a while since I have installed a sub and amp, I'm sure I will remember once I mess around with the amp settings. This also allows me to do the work myself and the way I want it done.

·
Registered
540 Posts
What's the RMS wattage on the amp? 400 is probably the advertised peak under optimal conditions.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure, I would have to get the specifics on the amp, I just got a quote. It's probably like 200 or something, he just said it would be a good amp to push the sub and fit under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If it's going to fit that pocket, it would need to be fiberglass. $345 seems like a price that's too good to be true for a fiberglass box, a name brand Alpine sub, a name brand amp, installation material and labor. I would expect something like this to run closer to $500-600 with the box alone costing close to $345.

However, if he's talking about an MDF box which does not form fit the contours of the trunk, a cheapo off-brand amp, and Alpine's lowest of the low sub, then $345 might start being a bit more reasonable. It's still low in my opinion.

I'd get clarification from him on exactly what you'd be getting for your money.

·
Supporting Vendors
1,262 Posts
I would bring my own components in and have them do the installation. That way you know 100% you have good parts being used.

Seems like a really..really fair price

Nick C.

·
Registered
402 Posts
$345 is a great deal for all that work. I would just go for it and see how it shakes out. If you're not happy and he's a quality vendor he should make it right. I have found that my installer can come up with some really good prices and has given me some pretty awesome deals. Take a chance if you trust the guy!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Specs. Get specs. Also, the amp under the seat will block the vent, which for me was not a good concession. Price seems low for good components, fab AND install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts