Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty good amount of money saved for performance modding, should I go straight to big stuff (Cam/Stroker) and modify for optimization later (headers/intake), or build for the big stuff and do the supporting mods first? New to the car modding world (new to car world in general, my R/T is my first car), so I value the input of those with a bit more experience than me.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
i am lite, been around for 2 years but what is your goal? street performance? street & strip? street & road course? beauty power?

lots of peeps did mods and went the Arrington Performance way; if you go stroker, go where the knowledge is and these guys based on what i have read on this forum are pretty much it; there is other shops of course with great ideas, but at the end it is all in the tuning; if they have a proven tuner, then it's about their engine building skill set

you can spend $20k in a engine upgrade and see it go through your hood because the tuning failed

once you dip in the HP increase, remember transmissions, engine mounts, drive shaft, rear end and axles will need upgrading when you start to tap into 650/700 hp at the crank, considering if you care about reliability or not

the king of mods recently is that guy who build this challenger ROOMRAIDER I think; that is a pretty sick ride; not my type, but lot of respect there

Good Luck!

ODP

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really thinking street and strip, my goal is 500 rwhp, I know it's a long way and a lot of money off, I'm just looking for the right path to get started on.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Really thinking street and strip, my goal is 500 rwhp, I know it's a long way and a lot of money off, I'm just looking for the right path to get started on.
i have the same goal with 500 rhwp w/o supercharging @ 7000 rpm, however i am setting up for road course so suspension, tires and rims first, then the engine....much later, 2015

with an aggressive cam, the right hood sucking fresh air, CNC ported heads, cat less mids and straight pipes and the right tune you may be able along with a ported or short runner manifold you may be able to get there; anyway these are my thoughts; larger valves if anywhere available may allow more mixture in the chamber; an upgraded piston with a higher compression may help but then i am now in a complete area of non expertise

Arrigton sells a turnkey solution and HHP has one also both with comp cams; HHP said there is always some good surprises with our 392 VVT engines so may be they have a cool tuning that makes the difference; it also depends where you want your power band to be;

keeping torque and Hp up there is always the challenge, because the car is heavy and torque is what makes a heavy muscle car move

finally, going to 19" or 18" rims will increase rear wheel horse power so this is also a way to cheat its way to 500

ODP

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bro if you got the money go right to the big stuff that's what I'd do

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
His is a 09 RT not a 392 O Racing.

To get to 500 at the wheels he's gonna need about 12k minimum Id think. Talk to modern muscle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
yes, did not pay attention to that detail; excitement, excitement

stroker possibly, me i would go with a 392 alu block from Arrington, upgrade comp cams 274, CNC ported head, tune and supercharger; or keep the 6.1 and make it a stroker, but there is may be a swap cost advantage besides the benefit of alu from Arrington and shaving 100 lbs in the front bay; right there a 100 lbs is a 10th of a second

i would swap the engine mounts and seriously consider a few suspension upgrade to avoid wheel hop; finally the drive shaft would need to be vetted for reliability

or go for a 426 supercharged and then this a lot more to talk about in project and $$$$ and the car;

it becomes then a street monster, HPDE, TT and Strip (the track!) Queen

food for thoughts

ODP

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
If all you are looking for is 500 throw a S/C on there and some long tubes and call it a day. That would be the least expensive route and it would be a blast to drive!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts