Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just remembered a thread about the Challenger being dropped in a few years. The bringing Cuda back thread reminded me of it. Ill post the link and paste what this "SRT engineer" said for you guys. Read everything in the post especially what he says about the Challenger being dropped in a few years. So, what do you guys think about this?? Here is the link. and post.

6-speed manual FINALLY coming to 2012 Dodge Charger SRT-8!!! - Dodge Charger Forums

Hey guys,

Let me start by first apologizing for not being able to go into more detail than I would like. Due to reasons of confidentiality I want to be as careful as I can NOT to give away this person's identity in case he has shared some information that is not supposed to be out yet.

That being said, today at work I had the priviledge of talking at length with one of Chrysler's SRT engineers. He currently does a lot of high-level things with Dodge but i'm hesitant to even state what THOSE things are as it may give him away (since i'm positive they can't possibly have that many people doing the things he stated he does).

Anyway, I got to talking about the SRT brand and all the amazing cars they've manufactured over the years. He's told me some amazing things about the new 392 Hemi, as he has had extensive "behind-the-wheel" time with the new Challenger and was absolutely BEAMING with pride over this thing.

He got into explaining some of the thought process behind tuning down the engine from what they were originally planning which made sense I suppose.

We probably talked for around half an hour about everything from previous SRT models, him taking a Viper home for months at a time, the 392 and of course the new Charger R/T and future 2012 SRT8.

He began by asking me "if there were three key factors that would make you decide to own a future SRT8 Charger, what would those three things be?"

I basically explained to him that I love the idea of a Challenger, but the 4-door practicality of the Charger has always been what works for me. I love having a large trunk with tons of room, an extra 2 doors to support baby seats or adult passengers... and to pick 3 main things was hard to do.

In the end I think I settled for, first and foremost, SIX SPEED MANUAL! The second was kick-ass horse power that the 392 already delivers, and of course, all of the new re-designed gizmos in the new R/T.

The majority of my conversation revolved around me telling him how much this community is DYING for a MANUAL SRT Charger, even how people were willing to spend the money to retro-fit their CURRENT Chargers!

I asked, why is it that Dodge has NEVER put a 6-speed into the Charger??? He went over the standard responses; that it would have been too expensive versus how many would have sold, that the Charger was really looked upon more as a family sedan with attitude rather than full-on muscle car like the Challenger.

He told me that this NEW Charger is going to be Dodge's new signature car and that they are REALLY going to push this car as THE new muscle car on the block. He told me that, since the Challenger probably only had a few more years of production (something about wanting to discontinue it on a high note rather than over-producing it until people dont want it anymore) and that the Charger is kind of being aimed at filling the void left behind.

Apparently there has been a group of people at Chrysler in the upper level who have been tasked with conducting investigations into cost-effectiveness of a new 6-speed Charger as well as focusing on the engineering side of things (which he said wouldn't be overly expensive or difficult to implement).

His words are that the planning phase for 6-speed SRT8 for 2012 are in the "final stages" and will be approved to go ahead very shortly.

One aspect they wanted to wait on before pulling the trigger is to observe the popularity of the 2011 Charger brand as a whole and see if there would be enough demand to justify the added cost.

He then went on to talk about the testing they have been conducting on the 2012 Charger against the crazy Cadillac and he said the Charger faired extremely well and we would all be in AWE of this thing once it hits the streets.

Anyway, sorry if this post has been full of rambling, i'm trying to remember all of the things we talked about. I told him about this forum and all of the SRT forums and he laughed and said "Oh yeah, I use to participate in the SRT Engineer chats" and that they sub-contracted a company to compile all of those chats and pass the information along to them regarding vehicle changes and things we wanted to see out of these cars (he used the example of how the community wanted a smaller steering wheel that was three spoke which they are giving us).

He said they take the car enthusiast community very seriously and that they are always watching to see what we want. He seemed to care very much about the owners of their vehicles.

Lastly, I pointed out that video that was released showing the "Charger Redline concept" that had what seemed to be a new SRT8 interior (which had the SRT8 badge on the dash and a manual shifter).

He made a comment something like "Oh, really? I wonder how that leaked out???" I guess he has a meeting with Ralph Gilles in the next week or so (he stated he meets with him every few weeks or so, and that he would be bringing up the things we talked about)

He was also driving a kick-ass brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee and had a killer looking SRT jacket on over-top of his suit.

Awesome guy!!!

Anyway, thought I would share with you guys!! Take it for what it's worth!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I would be so glad if they drop the Challenger in a few years. I don't want every other car to be one like with the Mustang and Camaro. Really like not having a lot of other Challengers on the road. We're an elite club.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,818 Posts
^^^^^Agreed, what he said!^^^^^

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess im not the only one that was thinking that. I didnt wanna say it though. LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would be so glad if they drop the Challenger in a few years. I don't want every other car to be one like with the Mustang and Camaro. Really like not having a lot of other Challengers on the road. We're an elite club.
Same Here !!
They should make a 2 door Charger to fill the gap that would be cool !

·
Registered
988 Posts
Same Here !!
They should make a 2 door Charger to fill the gap that would be cool !
Man those doors would as big as the ones on my 83 Monte SS and they weight a ton. You find that out when you change the door hinge bushings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Man those doors would as big as the ones on my 83 Monte SS and they weight a ton. You find that out when you change the door hinge bushings.
Tee Hee....... Never said I would buy one just they should make one.
I'm not getting rid of my Chally....... they will have to pry my cold dead stiff fingers from the steering wheel to get it away from me

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I never figured the challenger was going to have a long production run.
But long enough to have a good supply of after market vendors is good enough for me.
Plus like previously posted we won't end up with one on every corner and they will retain their uniqueness.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Ralph, please make a Cuda and drop the Challenger.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Totally agree with cutting the challenger after a few years, keep it limited, make it a little more worth something years from now. But as far as replacing it with the charger, PLEASE GOD NO!

·
Registered
119 Posts
What ever they do, it's going to have to be more reasobably priced.
The Challenger pricing is just crazy unless you get the six banger, which ain't all that bad but............
I was thinking 2 door charger as it would probly be cheaper to produce and sell.
The Chevelle Malibu made a 2 door and a 4 door back in the 70s and survived a while I think into the early 80's.
Anyway, What ever they do I'm sure will be good.

·
Registered
466 Posts
When the Challenger has run it's course, they should restyle it as a 'Cuda and get a few more years out of the 2-door platform. I think this could happen, but only if the new Charger and 300 are bona-fide hits.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Sorry but I'm with the people that say make a 2 door Charger to fill the gap when the Challenger is gone. I say make it with tail lights like the current one and maybe after that, revert to a look closer to that of the 68 Charger's tail lights. The only issue would be where to take it after that?

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Bring back the Diplomat! Dip-lo-mat! Dip-lo-mat! Dip-lo-mat!

·
Registered
864 Posts
When the Challenger has run it's course, they should restyle it as a 'Cuda and get a few more years out of the 2-door platform. I think this could happen, but only if the new Charger and 300 are bona-fide hits.
X2 bringing back the cuda would be sick!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
X2 bringing back the cuda would be sick!
I'd like to see a car that resembled the 67-68 Cuda fastback, before it went to the E body platform.
I think the existing platform would lend itself well to that style.
Either that or the 70 Road Runner/GTX or Super Bee. Would take more work, but I'm sure it could be done.

Either one would be snapped up by the "faithful".

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Sorry but I'm with the people that say make a 2 door Charger to fill the gap when the Challenger is gone. I say make it with tail lights like the current one and maybe after that, revert to a look closer to that of the 68 Charger's tail lights. The only issue would be where to take it after that?

Are you sure you don't mean the 69's? 68's were two round tail lights. 69's started with the wide bar.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Actually, after they end the Challenger, what about bringing back the Dart or Coronet? God, I would go nuts for a retro styled Coronet modeled on the 68 body style with a 392.....oh my god.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts