Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious on your thoughts of adding a spare tire and jack to trunk. My 2017 SXT PLUS did not come with spare, although came with a foam piece in trunk to add a tire. I’m thinking they did that to reduce weight. Adding a spare and jack has many benefits. ..
The cons are the added weight .. curious on your guys thoughts .
2017 SXT PLUS

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
My 2016 came with the compact spare. I'd never remove it to drive around to lighten the car. if you were at the track, sure, but unless you need that extra inch every day, the likelihood of getting a flat would be higher IMHO

A Guy

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly my thoughts
The pros far outweigh the Cons ..
Do you guys know why I have a place for a spare and no spare? I’m curious ..
Also yes I have a full-size spare . As it’s just the better option .

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
In 2020 exactly 0 Challengers came standard with the compact spare, it's an option on some...only if specific packages were not added

A Guy

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
This summer when I caught a hitch pin on the right rear tire while doing about 60 mph out in the country, I was glad I had a spare with me. The tire went flat in about 15 seconds and was beyond repair. I wouldn't drive my car(s) anywhere without a spare. Murphy's Law would certainly come into play.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,010 Posts
Both of my V6 Challengers came with the compact spare and Jack, and I replaced the spare with a tire plug kit and 12v air compressor (keeping the Jack and lug wrench) to save the dead weight.

I was aware that a blow-out situation would still leave me stranded but chose the plug kit anyway.

I never had a flat so bad I couldn’t plug it and keep going, so I guess the gamble paid off for me in some respects.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If you have a spare, then you won't have this perfect spot for an amp and a DSP!

I'll get way more use and enjoyment from the amp and DSP than I ever would from a spare. I seriously don't remember the last time I needed a spare. I've needed a spare maybe once - or twice at the most in my entire driving career (I'm 47)?

I'll take my chances and stick with the goop/inflator that came with the car. Absolute worst case, if the goop/inflator won't fix the issue - I'll call for roadside assistance. Not a big deal to wait on the side of the road for roadside assistance in the very rare chance that I need it - especially when you have a great-sounding audio system to listen to while waiting. :)

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
298 Posts
I ended up getting a compact spare since I was doing some driving between states on the east coast. It’s been a while since I’ve used one but thought it would be a good idea. I had to get a spacer as well to fit the front 6 piston brakes. I got it all to fit pretty well in the space under the deck so no impact on trunk space or trying to strap down a full size. I haven’t had to use it and I’ll be ok if I never do.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,427 Posts
So I’m guessing the cut out is simply To add a spare if you decide to. Yeah it’s all about economy now.
Have not read all the posts and maybe someone has already mentioned this. The cut out is not there so you can add a spare if you want. I doubt 1 in 100 owners bother with adding a spare.

The cut out is there because while it is easy to not install the spare on the assembly line it is much more work to build new body sheet metal stamping molds to form that part of the body with no cut out present.

Which makes your comment about it being all about economy somewhat applicable.in that it helps keep the cost of car production down by not having to go to the expense of making new body sheet metal stamping molds to remove the cut out for every model of car that has this feature.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
5,375 Posts
My 2018 SXT came with a compact spare as a $295 option. I don't need that extra space and can't even tell it's hidden under there. My SXT is a cruiser not a racer so I don't care about the extra weight of a spare. It's nice to know it's hidden under there just in case. :)

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
925 Posts
This summer when I caught a hitch pin on the right rear tire while doing about 60 mph out in the country, I was glad I had a spare with me. The tire went flat in about 15 seconds and was beyond repair. I wouldn't drive my car(s) anywhere without a spare. Murphy's Law would certainly come into play.

It's that darn "Murphy" guy that led me to buy a Modern Spare for my '15 SRT 392. And why I keep a poncho, flashlight, gloves, towel, and t-shirt with the spare. Because I'm pretty sure Murphy would dictate that I'd have that flat where there's no mobile phone signal ... at night ... in the rain.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
A spare tire is one of those things that you rarely need, but when you need it, you REALLY need it.

I bought a spare and jack kit on Ebay for my car. I've used it twice in 5 years.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Was curious on your thoughts of adding a spare tire and jack to trunk. My 2017 SXT PLUS did not come with spare, although came with a foam piece in trunk to add a tire. I’m thinking they did that to reduce weight. Adding a spare and jack has many benefits. ..
The cons are the added weight .. curious on your guys thoughts .
2017 SXT PLUS
I would ABSOLUTELY get one. That stupid air pump FCA provides stinks and is a joke. Thank God I've never been stranded at night having to use that garbage. I purchased a spare from Modern Spare for my 19 SXT and I LOVE it. They provide a very nice tire and rim. The ratchet kit is so so but compact for easy storage. I still have it now in my SPS though I have to purchase their adapter to fit over my Brembos. Hate I can't put it under the carpet due to the Harman Kardon. The minute I get enough wear on any of the tires I'm going with run flats. They should come with them or at least have them as an option if they're not providing a spare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.