Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned one in my car for a while and noticed a power increase the moment I installed it. The only issue that I have been reading is it let's more dirt into the engine. Is this true? I had it in my RT and it was great but after reading this I am cautious to put it in my SRT8. Has anyone had longterm issues with this type of filter?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I had one on my truck for 19 years with no issues. I sold the truck 2 years ago and the new owner is still using the K&N. I have had one on my Challenger for nearly 6 years now with no issues. When my Mustang's OE filter needs to be replaced I'll likely go with a K&N.

I don't use them for any other reason than it's the last air filter I'll ever need to buy (and the cleaning kit doesn't cost very much, either).

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
I have used them in the past vehicles, atv's and our razor no issues. A lot of people will b---- about them that there garbage etc, etc. If they/where so bad then I don't think the company would still be in business today.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,559 Posts
Had one in my Monte Carlo SS for 144k, she was still running great and used no oil. Have had one in my Challenger for 72k so far.....

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
They don't filter VERY fine dusty dirt as well as a good paper filter will but the tiny amount of extra dirt a K&N lets in is insignificant on a street car, I might could see it being a long term factor if you drive on dry dusty dirt roads a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I have one on my 99 Ram Diesel. No problems.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have used them for years on cars, trucks and Harleys. No problems.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I have used them on a number of cars over the years. Never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I'm a big fan of AFE filters. Better protection and construction if you actually break down the two.

Personally I haven't had any issues with K&N in the past, but I believe there are superior filters out there, like Donaldson, AEM, and AFE.

K&N is so big because of marketing. They advertise everywhere and have been around the longest so most catch wind of them first. Probably nothing wrong with running them, but I wouldn't take a chance of letting any excess dirt into my intake.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I've had one on every vehicle that I've owned with zero issues.

·
Super Moderator
15,543 Posts
I had a K & N drop-in filter on my Thunderbird and it, eventually, fouled the MAP sensor.

That's why I use a MOPAR CAI with a dry (and washable) AEM filter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've used K & N's on all my Harley's and a few cars with zero problems. It seems that the majority of problems revolve around those who over oil them after cleaning, which created the old 'Oil In The MAF' situation. To re-oil a K & N, use very little spray oil until the filter is pink not red. Whether there is a hp gain or lose, is still on the fence. Just my $.02's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts