Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to clean your wheels before doing a ceramic coating etc?

I've tried a number of different products with varied results..... just looking to see if anyone uses something I have never tried. I'm going to do the ceramic in the spring but for now I'm going to clean them and add a coat of Collinite 845 insulator wax. I have the Carbon Black Aluminum wheels
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Reactions: Mantis1

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,058 Posts
Just me, but I'm not a fan of chemicals for wheel cleaning.

I've been using my local DIY power wash on my WRT's.

High pressure soap, high pressure rinse, and then the low pressure "spot free" rinse.

Blow dry with the ride home. They're clean and ready for whatever you want to put on them.

Six years, 32k miles.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hmmm, I always wash the wheels last. so I use the Mcguires car wash stuff in the bucket. Wash with the Costco microfiber cloth, dry with my handy leaf blower, or like 19Johned53 said, take it for a quick spin. (y)
Then I use the Chemical Guys Banana spray wax or the Chemical Guys P40 ( Its good to) and wipe them down. Brake dust doesn't seem to stick to them.
nothing super fancy, I don't use any harsh chemicals on them, They look great.
Best regards
parrott

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Stay away from caustic wheel cleaners you will find at your local auto store. I use Sonax wheel cleaner, a Daytona Speed wheel brush, and once a year I give them a thorough waxing with a good quality car wax, like Meguiar's® NXT Generation® Tech Wax®.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Shaker Edition 28U
21 Posts
When I used to clean my Welds I would remove them from the car, powerwash them, and then use that drill buffer spinning thing and polish them.. Granted that was a bunch of years ago and the cleaning tech game has dramatically changed.. but it worked and they would last a good while before needing a refresh beyond normal washing.

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts
I had my wheels ceramic coated when new so they clean really easy. I actually do them first with a separate bucket and the same soap I use on the car. I use a tire wooly for the barrels and 2 flat tools I made from a 1 gallon and 5 gallon stir sticks for paint to get behind the brake calipers and to clean the calipers themselves. Then a soft wash towel for the outside. After I wash and dry the car I dry the outside of the wheels with a towel and my rolling seat which saves my back. I don't worry about drying the barrels. They come out great.

Liquid Bottle Fluid Automotive tire Glass bottle
Chair Motor vehicle Rectangle Gas Tints and shades
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
5,133 Posts
I had my wheels ceramic coated when new so they clean really easy. I actually do them first with a separate bucket and the same soap I use on the car. I use a tire wooly for the barrels and 2 flat tools I made from a 1 gallon and 5 gallon stir sticks for paint to get behind the brake calipers and to clean the calipers themselves. Then a soft wash towel for the outside. After I wash and dry the car I dry the outside of the wheels with a towel and my rolling seat which saves my back. I don't worry about drying the barrels. They come out great.

View attachment 1033466 View attachment 1033467 View attachment 1033468
The microfibers on paint stirrers is a pretty cool idea. (y)

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Scat Pack WB; Octane Red, M6
49 Posts
Car soap and a microfiber mitt and brush to clean and not scratch them. I follow up the wash by blowdrying them with my leaf blower then hit them with turtlewax hybrid ceramic spray wax as my finish. Nothing sticks to them and they look great!

I was a fan of colenite until i switched to gyeon mohs ceramic. The shine is a bit different. My octane red looks like a candy coating. Its awesome! The party piece though is the maintenance. SO Much Easier!!!! Ceramic coatings dont get hot and soft in the sun so dust and grit dont stick. The dirt and frit washes right off. My hood is still slick 4 months post coating. With wax i would have had to clay it regularly to keep it this slick.
Just sharing. I was a diehard wax guy until i tried ceramic and now im like damn i shoulda switched a lot sooner.

Your car looks fantastic by the way! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
784 Posts
Same thing i use to wash the car. So far i havent used a wax or ceramic coating on my wheels. I might try it at some point though. I have Collinite as well in my garage but probably wouldnt use that. Id probably use the ceramic spray on a microfiber, rub it in and wash it off. Dont want to get any spray on my brake discs.
I have the Maguirs Hybrid ceramic spray and it works good

Reactions: KrzyFast

·
Registered
387 Posts
Listen,
most people seem to be doing it all wrong. Allow me to educate.
I'm a Retired Detailer but still practice the art . I have been through all the old from the 80's products to most of what is offered today.

Wheel cleaning should be done first before you wash your car with it's own bucket and using high quality wheel brushes , a micro fiber towel or wheel wash mit.

In your bucket, use your favorite car shampoo. I suggest using a PH neutral soap.
For a cleaner , I suggest using Adam's Polishes Wheel and Tire Cleaner. It's non acid and works great. You can clean both your wheels and tires with it.

Once your wheels are perfectly cleaned, then you can coat them. Once they are coated, you will be able to clean your wheels with just Car Shampoo and a micro fiber towel.

Now for the Tires, you have options, Adam's Polishes makes a great coating called Tire Armor. This product like like a Ceramic coating for your paint or wheels . It lasts at least 6 months and you can clean your tires with the same micro fiber towel and car Shampoo as dirt and grime doesn't stick very well. You also don't have to dress your tires anymore. They look Matte to Satin for months. It's really awesome.

Most people think cleaning wheels sucks. This is because they don't do a proper cleaning and or keep with with them in maintenance washes which should happen once a week or at longest every 2 weeks.

So I suggest checking out Adam's Polishes, they make excellent products .
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Red Rectangle Font
Shelf Product Cabinetry Shelving Rectangle
White Light Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Toy Shelving Shelf Machine Engineering

·
Registered
82 Posts
ironx is what most professional car detailers use. you just spray it on and rinse it off and they look literally brand new in like 2 mins. detailers will even use it on the cars paint as well as containment cleaner/remover before clay baring and buffing and waxing for deep detailing. its an amazing product id highly recommend trying it you wont regret it and you wont ever want to go back to the caveman tech of soap and water and scrubing for like hours i can guarantee that.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I never let them get that dirty that they need anything more than the same shampoo I use on the paint. I do them first with with a separate bucket of wash solution because I don’t like a wet car drying in the sun while I clean wheels. I use CarPro Reset and a set of Wheel Woolies. Also an EZ Detail brush that I put a 90 degree bend for the back of spokes.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Listen,
most people seem to be doing it all wrong. Allow me to educate.
I'm a Retired Detailer but still practice the art . I have been through all the old from the 80's products to most of what is offered today.

Wheel cleaning should be done first before you wash your car with it's own bucket and using high quality wheel brushes , a micro fiber towel or wheel wash mit.

In your bucket, use your favorite car shampoo. I suggest using a PH neutral soap.
For a cleaner , I suggest using Adam's Polishes Wheel and Tire Cleaner. It's non acid and works great. You can clean both your wheels and tires with it.

Once your wheels are perfectly cleaned, then you can coat them. Once they are coated, you will be able to clean your wheels with just Car Shampoo and a micro fiber towel.

Now for the Tires, you have options, Adam's Polishes makes a great coating called Tire Armor. This product like like a Ceramic coating for your paint or wheels . It lasts at least 6 months and you can clean your tires with the same micro fiber towel and car Shampoo as dirt and grime doesn't stick very well. You also don't have to dress your tires anymore. They look Matte to Satin for months. It's really awesome.

Most people think cleaning wheels sucks. This is because they don't do a proper cleaning and or keep with with them in maintenance washes which should happen once a week or at longest every 2 weeks.

So I suggest checking out Adam's Polishes, they make excellent products .
View attachment 1033487 View attachment 1033488 View attachment 1033489 View attachment 1033491 View attachment 1033492
That's not a real garage.......It's a MOVIE SET!:p

·
Registered
359 Posts
Most of the time I clean my wheels, especially the fronts, by applying a little Maguire's waterless wash & wax on the towel or directly to the wheel. The microfiber towel picks up the brake dust but turns the towel black which means its doing its job. For the barrels, I use a paint stir stick sprayed with the waterless wash & wax. Once it have gone finished going over the wheel, I wipe it down one more time with a cleaner microfiber towel. I also use a couple of cotton swabs to go around the wheel bolts. This works out well as long as you don't let the wheels get too dusty. If this happens, I use car wash soap in a bucket with a mitt and a dauber to clean the barrels. I towel dry the wheel then hit it with compressed air and towel again. I have also waxed my wheel with Maguire's paste wax and have also used Maguire's Ceramic Detailer with good results.

·
Registered
811 Posts
What do you use to clean your wheels before doing a ceramic coating etc?

I've tried a number of different products with varied results..... just looking to see if anyone uses something I have never tried. I'm going to do the ceramic in the spring but for now I'm going to clean them and add a coat of Collinite 845 insulator wax. I have the Carbon Black Aluminum wheels View attachment 1033454
I use the same car wash that I use on my car. Very mild. I haven't coated my car or rims with a ceramic coating, but I used a hybrid coating followed by a synthetic wax. When I wash the rims, the car wash suds won't even stay on the rim.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,308 Posts
The key is not letting them get real dirty. Even the Brembo dust you have to clean them every time. If real bad, Sonax Full Effect followed by wash soap, Gyeon Prep (or similar, Isopropyl alcohol) and then coat

I use 3 different mitts to wash my car. CarPro Merino Wool wash mitt for top and top half sides, Microfiber mitt for lower half sides, and a faux lambs wool for the wheels

The wheels get detailed after the car is dried and I use CarPro EliXir and soft microfiber for that. I did coat the wheels with Sonax Polymer Net Shield a few months ago and of course no Brembos, so really no brake dust

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
993 Posts
I hate you, you're way to neat!;)

As A Guy stated, the key is not letting them get dirty. That applies to the entire vehicle. I basically use the remaining cash wash water which contains Mcguires Gold and a big fluffy duster to clean the wheels then dry them with the leaf blower. The wheels were coated with Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic same as the rest of the car. It makes washing very easy.

Reactions: Mantis1

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I clean the car at least once a week so the wheels never needs anything stronger then the same shampoo I use for the car. I power rinse them first and then use a power soap adaptor on the power washer and will use either a wheel brush to clean inside the wheel and a microfiber hand mitt for the outside lightly, Again, as others have mentioned if you clean them weekly it's easier to maintain. I do however remove them when I rotate the tires and give them a full scrub and then apply ceramic wax and that seams to make it easier to clean and keep clean.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I use a micro fiber towel & either McGuires or Mothers chrome wheel cleaner once a week. I also wash my rims first.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts