Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dodge says its SRT hood is Functional, but what function does it serve?

i assume it has to do with heat

ive seen some posts which say it works in reverse...letting heat out!

either it lets cold air in or heat out.....i assume thats its function....so would the 392 overheat w/o the hood? does the cold air add more HP because it keeps the engine at a certain temperature?....w/o the hood would we lose HP?

is the 'functional' part REAL or made up is what im getting at.....w/o the 'functional' hood what differences would you notice?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
They route ambient air into the engine bay to promote cooler temps underhood and this reduces the potential for heat soak. A heat soaked engine will lose a bunch of power compared to a cooler running engine.

Obviously they have nothing to do with a 'cold air intake' system or 'ram air' or anything like that.

Engines this large with a fairly high specific output generate a lot of heat, and the exposed radiator surface isn't terribly large, so it needs all the help it can get to keep running cool.

I'm sure a bunch of owners will soon be running lower temperature thermostats, too. I've seen temps rise to near 215 on my gauge when getting on it. Not sure what the factory stat is rated for on the 392, but 205-210 wouldn't surprise me. I know my Ram 5.7 was 203F and I'm running a 180 Jet now.

·
Registered
244 Posts
They were designed by Dodge to cause numerous debates on CT...lol

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yes, it is a true t-stat install. I have no idea what kind of stat the 392 uses. Might be standard hemi issue for the 5.7 and 6.1 or it might be different. My Ram was 203F stock and I'm running a Jet 180 with a bleeder hole for quick warm-up. Never threw a code but that's a 2006. Maybe the newer ones will throw a code with a cooler stat. Not sure about warranty, but it usually will alter emissions because the engine never gets to intended operating temp necessary for best highway economy.

A cooler stat helps avoid heat soak and also results in a cooler/denser intake charge, which tends to richen the mixture a bit. My MPG went to heck on the Ram after I installed the 180 stat, but I bracket race with it, and needed to keep engine temps under control so I really don't care about MPG. But seriously it dropped like 2 MPG on highway.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Thanks "88"
Newbie here since my Mach1 25 years ago. So, pulling the heads off that and mods on this 392, Whole different ballgame for me. I drove a Tahoe for the last 10 years. All new to me just trying to get educated. Concerned with the warranty issue more then anything and keeping this as stock as possible. All info. welcome and you obviously know what you're talking about. Thanks Brother (nice car)
-Dean

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Speedy did some tests about the functional hood scoops on his challenger. This is a page from his website with the results.

Speedy's Garage

·
Registered
235 Posts
That might be a smart mod to do in AZ! Thanks for that link BLU!

·
Registered
466 Posts
On the new Charger SRT they've switched from a hood scoop to an extractor vent, if that tells us anything..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts