Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine currently says 4% remaining. I'm guessing it's based on milage not amount of oil in the car like oz? It seems from my experience to go to 0% at around 6,000 miles. What happens when it reaches 0% does it go below 0%? can I change my oil at 6,100 miles. I know my oil catch can catches some oil. Once I toss it out i'm guessing that's some less oil. I don't want to run the risk of running out of oil like running out of gas. That's not really how it works right? Does the oil just recycle so it's better to change it out by 6,000 miles? Unless you have a leak you aren't going to have 0oz of oil after 6,000 miles i'm guessing. I'm close to 6,000 but not quite there. I'd rather change my oil on Monday if I can instead of Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts
An algorithm mileage, driving conditions, oil and coolant temp, speed, gear, etc. You can wait until 6000, it's just going to give you an oil light if you get to 0%. It won't self destruct or anything ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An algorithm mileage, driving conditions, oil and coolant temp, speed, gear, etc. You can wait until 6000, it's just going to give you an oil light if you get to 0%. It won't self destruct or anything ;)

A Guy
what about dare I say 6,500? Might be living life dangerously

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts
If still under warranty, you'll be exceeding the maximum oil change interval. Would it ever come up? Possibly not, but I'd make it a point to never exceed 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. If you exceed, and ever have an engine problem determined to be an oil issue, it could end up biting you

A Guy

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi SRT8outaLA

Let me see if I got this right, you have a fifty thousand dollar car and you are aiming to skimp on oil changes? There's a saying in the trade "Oil is cheaper than engines."

I reckon due to my predominantly short journeys the change oil light always illuminates on my Challenger around 2500 miles, even if it didn't I would change the oil at 3000 miles.

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
805 Posts
If still under warranty, you'll be exceeding the maximum oil change interval. Would it ever come up? Possibly not, but I'd make it a point to never exceed 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. If you exceed, and ever have an engine problem determined to be an oil issue, it could end up biting you

A Guy
This is a good point, and an area where people who store their cars in the winter could (potentially) have a warranty issue.
You take the car out in the spring, say mid April and get an oil change. You then change the oil 6 months later, in mid October. You store the car from November 1st until mid April of the following year.
The car has basically NO MILES on the last oil change but you are DUE by time. Many don't want to waste virtually brand new oil. If you don't change it again, you are technically NOT following the maintenance guide lines.

I have not heard of anyone having a warranty coverage problem because of this, but the potential is there.

·
Registered
15,840 Posts
OP, read your owners manual, all of this is explained in the manual. And don't forget the 6/6 rule that has been mentioned, they mean it.

This is a good point, and an area where people who store their cars in the winter could (potentially) have a warranty issue.
You take the car out in the spring, say mid April and get an oil change. You then change the oil 6 months later, in mid October. You store the car from November 1st until mid April of the following year.
The car has basically NO MILES on the last oil change but you are DUE by time. Many don't want to waste virtually brand new oil. If you don't change it again, you are technically NOT following the maintenance guide lines.

I have not heard of anyone having a warranty coverage problem because of this, but the potential is there.
There was a Hellcat guy that spun a main bearing and lost his warranty when he couldn't produce receipts for his oil change coming out of storage, so on paper, it looked like yearly oil changes and FCA denied his engine claim.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Can you go from conventional oil to synthetic oil without any issues?
Yes you can. However the 392 cars have synthetic from the factory.

Reactions: SFCR

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
I have the 345
I used Castrol Syntec and the SRT filter on my previous 345.

Pennz Platinum was not out yet, but I was very pleased with the Castrol.

Pricing for your weight Pennz Platinum is competitive with other brands, so I would highly consider it now.

Best of luck on your choice.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
Mine currently says 4% remaining. I'm guessing it's based on milage not amount of oil in the car like oz? It seems from my experience to go to 0% at around 6,000 miles. What happens when it reaches 0% does it go below 0%? can I change my oil at 6,100 miles. I know my oil catch can catches some oil. Once I toss it out i'm guessing that's some less oil. I don't want to run the risk of running out of oil like running out of gas. That's not really how it works right? Does the oil just recycle so it's better to change it out by 6,000 miles? Unless you have a leak you aren't going to have 0oz of oil after 6,000 miles i'm guessing. I'm close to 6,000 but not quite there. I'd rather change my oil on Monday if I can instead of Saturday.
There is no real risk of running the engine out of oil if you are checking the oil level regularly.

With a new car checking the oil level often is advised until you have some confidence the engine is not using excessive amount of oil. Most don't but if you have engine that does you want to know it pronto. Adding some oil every say 1000 miles is preferable to having to seek a replacement for an engine that you allowed to run low on oil because you didn't bother to check the oil level.

While the oil doesn't switch from ok to not ok when the oil life reading reaches 0% you should strive to get the oil changed before the oil life reading reaches 0%. For one thing the oil has served its purpose and is deemed to be at the end of its service life. Why subject the engine to the risk -- albeit almost certainly to be small -- to any damage from oil that is at the end of its service life?

Also, you avoid running the oil beyond the 0% point. I dare say the car's electronics in some fashion records this and tracks the engine run time or miles the car is driven past the 0% oil life point is reached. Whether or not this would be used to deny an engine warranty claim I can't say but why risk it?

You have a nice car. You paid a lot of money for it. You want it to remain as trouble free as much and as long as possible. One of the most important things you can do to help ensure this is to give the car/engine proper servicing. This certainly has very high maybe at the top of the list regular and on schedule oil/filter services.

I don't bother with the oil life left number. I just have the oil changed in my Hellcat every 5K miles (or 6 months if I don't put 5K miles on the oil in 6 months time). The oil life left reading is not at 0%. It is low but I don't recall how low now.

·
Registered
805 Posts
OP, read your owners manual, all of this is explained in the manual. And don't forget the 6/6 rule that has been mentioned, they mean it.

There was a Hellcat guy that spun a main bearing and lost his warranty when he couldn't produce receipts for his oil change coming out of storage, so on paper, it looked like yearly oil changes and FCA denied his engine claim.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Man that sucks!

Better to play it safe than be sorry.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Since the OIL LIFE gauge says OIL LIFE, it's kind of beyond obvious that 0% means it's time for an oil change. I do mine every six months regardless of what the % remaining is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts