Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I'm now (including the one from stock) on my third rear differential @ 51k. This is an 08-SRT8 first year Challenger. The replacement is howling @ 40-45mph, above that, nothing, below that, nothing, the older diff did this too, which they replaced under warranty maybe 1000 miles ago. What else could be causing this? I generally drive with the windows down and the music loud, but with windows up and music down I can clearly hear a howl from the rear, I'm just NEVER taking it back to the dealership that replaced it, they have screwed up just about every repair in one way or another. I was just trying to figure out what else COULD cause a howl from the rear between 40-45 mph.

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
Rear axle bearings?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I guess if it were me and my car was still under warranty, just try a different dealer.

Having been a Chrysler tech I'll tell you that sometimes finding a good tech is hit or miss...

My car does the same thing coasting, but since I'm out of warranty I just give it more right foot!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear axle bearings?
I'd assume those would have been replaced with the entire rear diff housing and drive-shaft? And really 09? You do have a different differential though the getrag is known to howl when coasting, mine isn't, and it's so weird it is between 38-45mph, 42-43 being the loudest. I can hear it with windows down and radio up as it's hard to not hear a howl. Push the pedal at all it goes away.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mine tends to do it more at interstate speed, especially with light changes in load. But being a 6 speed, mine is subject to more of what I'll call "reverse loading" than an automatic would be.

The most accurate way to diagnose your issue would be to have someone check the diff setup. Check the wear patterns on the R&P, pinion bearing preload, axle bearing side load, etc. These things will tell the story unless you have some weird harmonic thing going on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts