Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know what you're thinking. "How do you not know what engine you have in a relatively new expensive car? I'll give some backstory, so my dad buys cars from insurance auctions, fixes them and usually keeps them. In this case, he decided he wanted to sell the car and use the money to build a shop, the car in question is a 2011 Challenger R/T. The car has 60,000 miles and has been a wonderful car, perfectly reliable and fun. The problem is when we went to sell it the valve covers have 392 on them but the car is most likely a 5.7. Folks keep asking which engine it is and I honestly don't know what to tell them. So long story short, what's a good way to find out which engine it is? Hopefully without tearing into the engine too much. The VIN says it was a factory 5.7 car but the previous owner clearly did mod the car a good bit so maybe it really is a 6.4. Thanks for any responses. Also, I personally don't know much about these cars so take it easy on me, please lol.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If it's a R/T most likely a 5.7 only way is to take a picture of the engine bay and post it.

I think the 392 covers fit the 5.7 also

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
Yep, if it's an '11 RT, then the 5.7 came from the factory. 392 covers can fit the 5.7 with a little trimming.

Reactions: Dalton Martin

·
Registered
10,167 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Maybe he didn't mean to upbadge, but really didn't like that clamshell.

Unless he put 392 badges on the outside too.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,279 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
If the VIN number says 5.7 its a 5.7. Even if the previous owner modded it - its still a 5.7. Regardless of what the valve covers say.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
If the VIN number says 5.7 its a 5.7. Even if the previous owner modded it - its still a 5.7. Regardless of what the valve covers say.
Unless it's that one dude who swapped a Scat Pack into a 2011 (?) SXT.

·
Registered
716 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts