Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone changed their manual trans fluid with anything other than the mopar stuff and did it make a difference? thanks

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Get some Redline or Royal Purple either is a good choice.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
there are good margins on branded products

this is why a tremec is a tremec and tremec will support its client (Ford, Chrysler, GM, etc...) in routing us, consumers, to the respective OEM branded products so everyone wins;

margins on cars are not that substantial, related branded products allow an OEM to make its money, this is why the recommendation is so strong and warranties can sometime be tied to the use of the OEM product in question

use whatever u think works, if you don't know, go OEM

ODP

Reactions: Elwood617

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Because Tremec themselves has stated using anything else WILL cause damage to the transmission. Dunno about the rest of you but I'm gonna take their word for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I always go with manufacture spec and avoid the snake oil. If amsoil and RP made such a big difference the auto manufactures would use it. They are just taking your money.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I changed mine at 500 miles to RP with synchromesh and glad I did the trans was a qt low from the factory could not believe it. the trans shifts much better now and seems quieter also

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
I changed mine at 500 miles to RP with synchromesh and glad I did the trans was a qt low from the factory could not believe it. the trans shifts much better now and seems quieter also
Maybe because it was low from the factory and that was the problem. Looks like they need to figure out how to get a grip on quality control.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I called Tremec because Ford, GM and Dodge all used the TR6060 but each specs their own fluid.
Tremec recommended Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, but also stated that the manufacturer warrantees the tranny, so....
If you want to stay within warranty, then use the Manufacturer's Fluid.
I went with Mobil 1 based on Tremec's recommendation; I did not notice much, if any difference.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I have 8000 miles on my RT and I have changed the transmission fluid 4 times. LOL

I was trying to get rid of the nibble shifting from 2 to 3 gear.

I changed the OEM fluid and went with amsoil multi-vehicle ATF at 1,250 miles. The shifting got a little better but I wasn't satisfied. I change it again at 4,200 miles and went with Redline D-4 ATF. I felt no difference in the shifts and decided to change it again at 5,500 miles. This time I went with amsoil synchromesh manual transmission fluid. It made no obvious difference, so I changed it again at 5,650 miles and went back with amsoil multi-vehicle ATF.

I now have 8000 miles on the car and the transmission is shifting smoother. A lot of people say that the transmission just needs some miles on it before the shifts get smoother. Maybe that was the case with mine.

I do realize that amsoil is not what tremec or Mopar recommends for the transmission, but I'm staying with it.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I went with Redline C+ATF a couple thousand miles or so ago (Maybe 4k miles now) and, honestly, I don't notice any difference compared to the Mopar ATF+4 synthetic. 1-2 will still grind when cold if I'm not careful and 2-3 is notchy also when cold.

Once all warmed up it shifts just fine in all gears.

Reactions: teddyp

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
When you changed your fluid did anyone's stink? With only 500 mi on mine I did not expect it to stink (burnt smell) being a qt low must have done it

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
When you changed your fluid did anyone's stink? With only 500 mi on mine I did not expect it to stink (burnt smell) being a qt low must have done it
Are you talking about the trans or differential? Diff fluid stinks so bad, GM actually added grape scent to theirs.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Are you talking about the trans or differential? Diff fluid stinks so bad, GM actually added grape scent to theirs.
trans it had that smell of a burnt up torqueflite or powerglide

1 - 20 of 48 Posts