Dodge Challenger Forum banner

What fluid are you using in your 6spd

10K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  Sublime275 
#1 ·
has anyone changed their manual trans fluid with anything other than the mopar stuff and did it make a difference? thanks

#2 ·
Get some Redline or Royal Purple either is a good choice.

#4 ·
what he said x2

#12 ·
Because Tremec themselves has stated using anything else WILL cause damage to the transmission. Dunno about the rest of you but I'm gonna take their word for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I always go with manufacture spec and avoid the snake oil. If amsoil and RP made such a big difference the auto manufactures would use it. They are just taking your money.

#9 ·
there are good margins on branded products

this is why a tremec is a tremec and tremec will support its client (Ford, Chrysler, GM, etc...) in routing us, consumers, to the respective OEM branded products so everyone wins;

margins on cars are not that substantial, related branded products allow an OEM to make its money, this is why the recommendation is so strong and warranties can sometime be tied to the use of the OEM product in question

use whatever u think works, if you don't know, go OEM

ODP

Reactions: Elwood617
#13 ·
I changed mine at 500 miles to RP with synchromesh and glad I did the trans was a qt low from the factory could not believe it. the trans shifts much better now and seems quieter also

#15 · (Edited)
I called Tremec because Ford, GM and Dodge all used the TR6060 but each specs their own fluid.
Tremec recommended Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, but also stated that the manufacturer warrantees the tranny, so....
If you want to stay within warranty, then use the Manufacturer's Fluid.
I went with Mobil 1 based on Tremec's recommendation; I did not notice much, if any difference.

#16 ·
I have 8000 miles on my RT and I have changed the transmission fluid 4 times. LOL

I was trying to get rid of the nibble shifting from 2 to 3 gear.

I changed the OEM fluid and went with amsoil multi-vehicle ATF at 1,250 miles. The shifting got a little better but I wasn't satisfied. I change it again at 4,200 miles and went with Redline D-4 ATF. I felt no difference in the shifts and decided to change it again at 5,500 miles. This time I went with amsoil synchromesh manual transmission fluid. It made no obvious difference, so I changed it again at 5,650 miles and went back with amsoil multi-vehicle ATF.

I now have 8000 miles on the car and the transmission is shifting smoother. A lot of people say that the transmission just needs some miles on it before the shifts get smoother. Maybe that was the case with mine.

I do realize that amsoil is not what tremec or Mopar recommends for the transmission, but I'm staying with it.

#17 ·
I went with Redline C+ATF a couple thousand miles or so ago (Maybe 4k miles now) and, honestly, I don't notice any difference compared to the Mopar ATF+4 synthetic. 1-2 will still grind when cold if I'm not careful and 2-3 is notchy also when cold.

Once all warmed up it shifts just fine in all gears.

Reactions: teddyp
#18 ·
When you changed your fluid did anyone's stink? With only 500 mi on mine I did not expect it to stink (burnt smell) being a qt low must have done it

#21 ·
are you talking about a manual or auto trans. never heard of manual trans fluid with a bad smell. I used redline in my 2000 vette and there was a noticeable difference not sure of the tranny in there but I think it was a zf. but it called for auto fluid as well. . right now im leaning toward a redline trans fluid change

#34 ·
Yeah, most of today's modern manuals take ATF fluids although there is a few that still take straight gear oil...the worst a manual would smell would be 90W gear lube...I think the bad Oder from diffs come from additives either added or already in the factory oils in that when they break down from years of heating and cooling cycles they'll just knock you over when drained they reek so bad LOL

#25 · (Edited)
I went with Amsoil after the first 500 miles. Happy with the results.

#26 ·
Reactions: Plainsrt8
#36 ·
Ok, here we go, I found the fill plug (nice location) is the drain plug under the tranny brace ? it's cool I can remove this stuff, I can fill it with a syringe, It's not the first car I've had to bend over backwards, I'm just older thats all.
Thanks
KB

Don't start "removing stuff":huh: Use a socket extension thru hole in tranny brace to remove drain plug.

#31 ·
I used a 12 volt oil change pump to suck it out and reversed it to fill went well I'm old also

#32 ·
Damn it, I'm really in need of this. I'm leaning towards the AMSoil ATF. FWIW, I typically avoid 2nd gear until about 10-15 minutes after I started driving. I'm anal about letting the car warm up. I start it every day and let it idle for 5 minutes or so to let warm fluid circulate. Also, I wait until the idle drops from High Idle down to 750 rpms. Other than that, nothing different.

#40 ·
Is it possible that I could just add fluid through the dipstick tube? I have a 6 speed if that makes a difference.

#42 ·
Ah, the last time I looked was on my 09 Auto so I figured they were the same. I'll give it a shot to figure out what the deal is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.