Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SRT
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer finally sent me a duplicate window sticker. My intention is to attach it to this post, but no guarantees. Anyway in the right-hand column under "6-Speed Manual Transmission" the rear axle ratio is states as 3.73:1. Down a bit lower under "20-Inch x 8.0-Inch AluminumChrome Clad Wheels" the ratio is stated as 3.92:1.

What's the deal?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
I was recently informed by someone on this forum that they will list the part that comes factory (ie: the 3.73 rear) and then below it put the upgrade (ie: the 3.92 rear)

If you have 20" rims, you have the 3.92 rear.

·
Banned
368 Posts
X2. What he said.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I would say the 20" wheel package dictates the gear ratio.

·
Banned
368 Posts
except for autos...all R/T autos are 3.06.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Here's the key.

20-lnch x 8.0-lnch Aluminum Chrome-Clad Wheels
245/45VR20 BSW All Season Performance Tires
3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
DEC & WP2 20" Wheels on R/T

If you don't have 3.92 you got ripped off.[/SIZE]

·
Registered
940 Posts
What Tranny do you have

My dealer finally sent me a duplicate window sticker. My intention is to attach it to this post, but no guarantees. Anyway in the right-hand column under "6-Speed Manual Transmission" the rear axle ratio is states as 3.73:1. Down a bit lower under "20-Inch x 8.0-Inch AluminumChrome Clad Wheels" the ratio is stated as 3.92:1.

What's the deal?
The deciding factor of your gear ratio is what tranny do you have.
6 speeds with 18 inch wheels would have 3.73's
6 speeds with 20 inch wheels would have 3.92's
All Auto's would have 3.06's

Hope this helps some. LURCH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
And it's actually a 3.91 gear set based on the ring/pinion gear tooth count (43/11 = 3.909). Not sure why Chrysler continues to refer to it as a 3.92 gear.

·
Banned
368 Posts
I agree 3.91 but most people don't know that. I put one in my 09 SRT8 Auto!!!!!!!
Jeez, how does that bad boy launch???

·
Registered
940 Posts
With the F1's up in smoke, it will put you back in the seat with D/R's though. Its a blast to drive around town. I picked up 9 tenths in the 1/4 mile with this change only. I just drove to Panama City Fl. this past weekend and got about 21 MPG running around 75 MPH. With the 3.06 I was getting around 24 MPG at the same speed. I think it was a good all around decision.

·
Banned
368 Posts
With the F1's up in smoke, it will put you back in the seat with D/R's though. Its a blast to drive around town. I picked up 9 tenths in the 1/4 mile with this change only. I just drove to Panama City Fl. this past weekend and got about 21 MPG running around 75 MPH. With the 3.06 I was getting around 24 MPG at the same speed. I think it was a good all around decision.
That does seem like a good trade! :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I still think a torque converter along with the gear would be the best money spent.
I could imagine seeing another 5 tenths with the converter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts