Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That over the weekend I heard a funny sound coming from my engine bay.

I called my dodge dealer this morning and they were very accommodating and told me to bring the car in right away. They gave me a loaner a 2017 ram truck which was a very nice gesture. I have a great relationship with this dealership.

Later in the afternoon I got a call from the dealership and they told me the water pump was going to break because the bearing was shot.

Car is a 2015 dodge challenger scat pack with 40,000 miles. The service advisor told me that the part was on a national backorder and could take up to six months to come in. I don?t know how he came up with this figure but six months seems absolutely ridiculous for a water pump on a car two years old.
When I questioned this they told me it looks like a 3 to 6 month back order.
They told me to keep the loaner for now and not to worry about anything and they will let me know with more certainty how long this will take in the next couple of days.

Has anybody ever heard of a part like this taking that long to come in?

If this even takes close to one month I think this is my last Dodge. I guess I will have to go in another direction either Ford or Chevy.

What would you guys do?

Cliffs:
Two -year-old dodge challenger water pump broke.
Dealership is telling me it looks like a six-month back order on part.

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
Lemon law it, far to long to have to wait or how about an aftermarket water pump until later?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lemon law it, far to long to have to wait or how about an aftermarket water pump until later?

I don?t think you can lemon law a two year old car. I?m going to ask my dealer about aftermarket. I wonder if it would be better quality than mopar.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
You could probably go online and get a water pump.

I could find a new Gates brand pump ~ $91.

Me - I'd buy the part and have the dealer reimburse me for it and let them deal with the warranty claim.

The reman pumps look like they run ~ $47.

and they don't appear to be on back order

The Mopar ones are 2x the price of the one above - with discounts.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could probably go online and get a water pump.

I could find a new Gates brand pump ~ $91.

Me - I'd buy the part and have the dealer reimburse me for it and let them deal with the warranty claim.

The reman pumps look like they run ~ $47.

and they don't appear to be on back order

The Mopar ones are 2x the price of the one above - with discounts.
Would those parts be of the same quality as Dodge? Maybe I?ll run this by them tomorrow.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The pump on my wife’s 5.7 Grand Cherokee took almost 7 weeks.

The water pump recall on my 6.7 Cummins has no ETA.

This all sounds about like normal ops for these guys.

I’d fix it yourself.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Go to parts store order part take it to dealer have him pay you for part....

If that's all it takes for you to go off the deep end though, buyin a frod or chevy or anything else ain't gonna help you. :lol:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go to parts store order part take it to dealer have him pay you for part....

If that's all it takes for you to go off the deep end though, buyin a frod or chevy or anything else ain't gonna help you.
I?m not mad just disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Would those parts be of the same quality as Dodge? Maybe I?ll run this by them tomorrow.
Limited Lifetime Warranty:

Limited Warranty

Goods are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for the life of the Goods (or the published recommended replacement interval specified by Gates). Gates will replace or repair, at its option, any Goods proved defective in material or workmanship during the warranty period. This is the sole remedy for breach of warranty. Color fade and color difference is not warranted. This warranty is void if the defect is caused by improper installation, use or maintenance of the Goods, or used for racing or competition. Goods are not warranted to comply with laws that may apply to uses of the Goods not stated in related materials, e.g., use in manned or unmanned aviation or life support applications. ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. FAILURE TO REPLACE TIMING BELTS OR OTHER GATES PRODUCTS AS SPECIFIED MAY RESULT IN CATASTROPHIC ENGINE OR EQUIPMENT DAMAGE, FOR WHICH GATES DISCLAIMS ALL RESPONSIBILITY, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,849 Posts
I believe it, had a water pump fail in less than a year of owning a 2013 GC 5.7. Had a 1999 GC 4.7 with 130k and no issues with the engine whatsoever. Just wait until your uconnect starts acting up.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Water pump is covered under the Powertrain Limited Warranty (even if 36mos / 36K bumper to bumper has expired)

The '15s had 5yr / 100k warranty

from '16 onward its 5yr / 60k warranty

from the FCA warranty website:

POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY COVERAGE

Gas Engines
The cylinder block and all internal parts of gasoline engines, including the intake and exhaust manifolds, the oil and water pump and the supercharger, are covered under your Powertrain Limited Warranty*.

Transmission
The transmission case and all internal parts, including the torque converter, pressure and speed sensors and the transmission range switch, are covered under your Powertrain Limited Warranty.

Drive Systems
The different drive systems and internal parts, including front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive and four-wheel drive, are covered under your Powertrain Limited Warranty.

Reactions: Brunotheboxer

·
Registered
834 Posts
If this even takes close to one month I think this is my last Dodge. I guess I will have to go in another direction either Ford or Chevy.
You get a nice truck as a loaner from a dealer who's treating you well while they fix a small problem on the best looking car on the road right now and you're going to cry like a baby and immediately run to Ford and GM... I'm sure they never have any problems...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Try calling other dealers in your area and see if they have the water pump you need.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2017 Scat Pack had the water pump fail two months ago in September. The dealer only had it for a couple days. It seems odd to me that just 2 months later there is a shortage on water pumps. It seems to be a more common problem on the 5.7L engine. Perhaps the dealer mistakenly looked up the 5.7L part?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The water pump went out on my 2015 RT at 35k miles. Took the dealer 3 days to fix. No big deal. Not too reassuring on the longevity of these water pumps though...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You get a nice truck as a loaner from a dealer who's treating you well while they fix a small problem on the best looking car on the road right now and you're going to cry like a baby and immediately run to Ford and GM... I'm sure they never have any problems...
I love the car and was saving towards a hellcat.

·
Registered
424 Posts
LOL. You mean the same quality of the one that shit the bed after only 2 years? Yea, I'd say they will be at least that shitty. But probably better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts