Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was talking with some camaro buddies that told me there have been people with stock SS autos (400hp L99) getting into the 12s and had slips to back the claim up. i know how close the new 5.7 and L99 dyno at the wheels and the weight is pretty close if the R/T isnt fully loaded.

with all of that being fairly equal...wouldnt it be safe to say that if the R/T had better and wider tires like the Pirellis that come on the SS stock, we would see some stock R/T autos in the high 12s? there are a bunch of guys running low 13s now with the goodyears and i know guys with DRs are seeing 12s, but when you tell that to a camaro guy, they say "well thats not stock..you need drag radials...etc"

i'd really like to see a stock auto R/T with the same PZeros street tires that come factory on the SS and see what happens. anyone see or try it themselves?

·
Registered
227 Posts
My stock R/T Classic came with the Goodyear Eagle F1s which are about as sticky as it gets for non drag radials (220 tread wear rating). Those F1s were included in the super track pack, but unfortunately, super track pack adds some weight (I'm guessing) with heavier duty suspension components.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
most of the issues with these cars is weight and brutal low end torque, most videos you see of a camaro vs challenger is won be the chevy on the other end of the track. that has less to do with tire size and more to do with weight and gearing/ powerband. actually it takes less hp to turn a smaller skinnier wheel. add ing fatter tires will only help in the first 1/2 of the track (if that) Lighter wheels would do more than better tires...

·
Registered
227 Posts
most of the issues with these cars is weight and brutal low end torque, most videos you see of a camaro vs challenger is won be the chevy on the other end of the track. that has less to do with tire size and more to do with weight and gearing/ powerband. actually it takes less hp to turn a smaller skinnier wheel. add ing fatter tires will only help in the first 1/2 of the track (if that) Lighter wheels would do more than better tires...
Agree... its frustrating, I ran a 13.5 @ 105 in my bone stock '99 6 speed Z28 camaro. I'd be happy to run that time this weekend in my stock R/T classic (auto). I wish Dodge could have kept the weight in check. You'd think with 10 years newer technology they could build a car to outrun the decade old f-body... anyone, the 5.7 hemi is a great motor, just saddled with too much pork.

But hey, I bought the Challenger for the form, not the function. Still a hot looking car, much better looking than my camaro ever was or will ever be.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
add ing fatter tires will only help in the first 1/2 of the track (if that)
but like you said, the brutal torque just roasts skinny tires off the line so most of the time, thats where the race is won or lost. seems if you get a good launch in a challenger, it has a much better shot if the other guy doesnt have such a good one in a faster car which may or may not run the challenger down in the very end. i know you are very experienced at the track plumkrazy, so i'm not discounting what you are saying, maybe i'm just misunderstood on what you are trying to say...

every magazine test i've seen online with vids show them just burning through 1st gear.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nothing to be ashamed of when our heavier 5.7 R/T's can run heads up with the lighter 6.2 Camaros. To me that's impressive! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts