Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the biggest philosophical questions you can ask a member of this forum :)

So, what makes a muscle car a muscle car?

How about: A big mean car with an even bigger meaner engine :eek:hyeah:

But, what do you think? Can we consider today's cars (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, and anything else you want to include) "Muscle Cars" ?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
This question has been asked for over 50years. No real answer. Sports cars, pony cars, muscle cars, its all an opinion of who says it and at what time. We all have a opinion.:rofl:

·
Registered
416 Posts
muscle car is simply a journalistic term to describe factory performance cars first used about the end of the first era.todays cars are simply a continuation of them.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
My definition is:
A full size 2 door coupe with a throaty v8, and comfortable seating for 4 or 5. Oh and you better believe it must have a stick shift available on the platform.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My definition is:
A full size 2 door coupe with a throaty v8, and comfortable seating for 4 or 5. Oh and you better believe it must have a stick shift available on the platform.
that would exclude the 68 roadrunner as it seats 6 and was along with the superbee probably the only cars of the era to come standard with a big block and 4 speed

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
that would exclude the 68 roadrunner as it seats 6 and was along with the superbee probably the only cars of the era to come standard with a big block and 4 speed

Okay how about seating for 4 or more? Point is, a muscle car is big and comfortable. It's not a car where you have to cut your legs off to get in the back.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
IDK it needs to be full size. The original Barracuda and Mustang were based on the Valiant and the Falcon, which were compact cars.

It definitely has to be/have:

2 doors
Seating for 4-5 people --the degree of comfort in back can vary
RWD
A V8 version with a throaty sound
A stick-shift version
An affordable version
Most likely with a separate trunk
The original muscle cars favored straight line performance over sports car handling; albeit new ones challenge this
Recognizable American design --the rebirth of the muscle car we have been enjoying since the mid-2000s started when Detroit went back to the iconic pony car designs
Stupidly high insurance rates

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Mustang & Barracuda were not muscle cars, they were pony cars.
How come most everyone calls Mustang-Camaro-Challenger muscle cars, then.

Are we talking about the original 2-dr Chrysler 300? Because that was fullsize.

The old Chargers, GTOs and Torinos were "intermediates", not "standard size". --as fullsize was called back then.

·
Registered
598 Posts
How come most everyone calls Mustang-Camaro-Challenger muscle cars, then.

Are we talking about the Chrysler 300? Because that was full size.

The old Chargers, GTOs and Torinos were "intermediates", not "standard size". --as fullsize was called back then.
Because saying Pony Car doesn't sound manly.

No one is talking about the 300.

Muscle cars weren't "full size". The '69 Fury wasn't considered a muscle car.

·
Registered
573 Posts
For many folks, a muscle car is in the mind of the person what ever they are driving. It is an opinion. I believe it is a v8 Rear wheel drive 2 door with some more than needed power . I love my SRT8 Muscle car. :thumbup:
:):)
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Because saying Pony Car doesn't sound manly.

No one is talking about the 300.

Muscle cars weren't "full size". The Fury wasn't considered a muscle car.
Well, that was precisely my point: muscle cars do NOT have to be fullsize.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I think if we were to ask a baby boomer, their interpretation of a muscle car would be different from today's youngsters.

Most aged under 40 today would call Mustang-Camaro-Challenger a muscle car.

Reactions: salvy59 and DJ Hemi

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
For many folks, a muscle car is in the mind of the person what ever they are driving. It is an opinion. I believe it is a v8 Rear wheel drive 2 door with some more than needed power . I love my SRT8 Muscle car. :thumbup:
:):)
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah, I don't mind people calling my Challenger a muscle car.

I wish they would just call it a sports car, given that implied in "muscle car" is that all it is capable of doing is go in a straight line, and look pretty parked next to the curb. Either way, they are drooling when they say, so what do I care...? :D

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think if we were to ask a baby boomer, their interpretation of a muscle car would be different from today's youngsters.

Most aged under 40 today would call Mustang-Camaro-Challenger a muscle car.
I am under 40 & consider Mustang-Camaro-Challenger to be Pony Cars

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Muscle cars came first, Chargers, GTOs, Torinos, etc, they then evolved into pony cars, IMHO- Pony cars are descended from muscle cars, but were technically innovative at the time- first subframes and unibody construction, a dedicated full sized car, with a shortened azz end, so a Pony car is what the original muscle cars evolved into, at thier second generation. 69/70 was pony car height. (and of course 64 1/2 Stang), the first gen being a regular car- ala- GTO/Charger, with a big V8, some performance upgrades and styling- esp a cool hood- lol. 2nd gen was killed off by gas and insurance and gave us some puke ugly '74s. We are now in the 4th gen of the muscle car, 2nd gen of the 'modern' muscle car. Challenger being 90% muscle with a little pony, Camaro being 50/50, and Mustang being 100% Pony. But all are muscle cars, some being more into the Pony sub category.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The only reason they used V8s in the 60s/70s era is because that's all the technology they had at the time to hit the power levels they wanted. Today's V6s run as well or better than those engines and get twice the fuel economy. Therefore, I don't believe in the thought that if it doesn't have eight cylinders it can't be a muscle car. Muscle cars were named such because they had more power than the "common" cars of the day. Same can be said of today's Challenger/Charger/Mustang/Camaro whether it's V6 or V8.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts