Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am looking at purchasing a 1971 numbers matching 318 Challenger, however the problem is I'm not sure how much I should give for it. I went to see it a few days ago and it is a good driver and mechanically sound, however the body isn't the straightest, it is originally a GJ-4 Moss Green Metallic, the console needs a little work (heck of a rattle from it when driving), the windows don't work, rust bubbles under the vinyl top, and the wheels are obviously incorrect (also the exhaust isn't correct, but I don't really mind because it does sound pretty mean for a 318). Here is the link to the car 1971 Dodge Challenger for sale at Streetside Classics
Now I know that 25k is for sure too much, but I'm thinking 15k, am I too low? I'd like some opinions from other MOPAR enthusiasts as to where should I be thinking, value wise.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I hate to say it but that is probably a 18K-22K car...If it had factory AC...22-23. Rust under the top is going to cost 2000

·
Registered
664 Posts
Nice ride, but not worth over 15k - Upwards of 20k is pointless i'll go buy a brand new challenger with all the modern updates and creature comforts at that price. Sure its a classic, but with those little things that need to be fixed $$ +$$$ + $$$$ get into one area find another thing. 15k firm. you were right on it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
FWIW, I'm a huge fan of old muscle cars. As I drive my 2012 Challenger, the desire to take on the responsibility of owning a 40 year old car is quickly waning. I'd be tempted at 15K but not that tempted. 25K isn't tempting at all.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not to mention those old cars handle like crap, accelerate like crap, brake like crap, and are likely to have lots of unforseen issues. The only thing those old cars do in my opinion is look good.

·
Supporting Vendors
1,316 Posts
That rust is going to be a big expense IMO.

If you can get it for around $15K, I'd say go for it, but $20-25K is too high

I bet they have around $15K in it, maybe less

Nick C.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The plus is that it is a 71. The cons, it is a base car with a 318, flat hood, color changed, a ugly dash cap. If body is straight and no bad bondo job, this is probably a $10 to $12k car, IMO. Check for rust at the inner fenders, pillars and cowl areas.

Great that you have interest for the gen 1 cars. New ones are nice but they are not the same. Totally different in the cool factor and can be made to out run, out turn and out brake the new cars if that is what you want.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
You should be able to find a real R/T for $25k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts