Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the top half of the air filter box just to see what the filter looked like, and there is a maxi-pad looking thing in front of the outlet at the top of the cover. Not sure what it is, it looks like either a sound suppressor to quiet the air intake or a flame arrestor to protect the air filter in case of a intake backfire. Anyone remove it and what were the results? Did it sound better, did you drop 0.5 seconds in the quarter, or no change at all?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,059 Posts
Picture? Sounds like a "it shouldn't be there"

A Guy

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
What year is your car? That doesn't sound right unless it's a new change of some kind.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,059 Posts
And you see a removable air filter on the bottom air box as well??? Have you taken that out? Looks almost like the top part of the filter, and the bottom pleated part is missing? some pictures of 4861746AB show a black/white filter. Most show an orange/yellow filter

My guess from what I see is you have only a partial filter now unless you also have a filter on the bottom air box

A Guy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a regular air filter in the bottom half of the air box, this is in addition to it. This upper filter has plastic welded pins to hold it in and prevent it's removal. You can see them in the third photo.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,059 Posts
Maybe other GT owners can check. I've never seen it, no sign of it on parts breakdown. No clue honestly...

A Guy

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack A8
223 Posts
Its a new emissions requirement being phased into new vehicles. My 2020 R/T has it. It is a charcoal filter designed to catch crankcase gasses and vapors when the car is off to keep them from making their way out into the atmosphere. Its not restrictive at all and is considered an emissions component so removing it will be considered tampering with emissions in states that care about that garbage. Watch the video below where this guy conducts tests with and without one.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,003 Posts
I was going to say it may be there to mitigate the oily vapor entering the airbox through the fresh air hose when the engine is operated at WOT (and is producing Max torque), but the EVAP functionality augmentation is more plausible now that I think about it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,059 Posts
Thanks for that JesseRT , always good to know. It doesn't show on any parts break downs as it's a part of the upper air box

52022310AC -2019
68413350AA 2020

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,698 Posts
my old Charger ('75) had a charcoal canister connected to the EVAP system. It collected fumes from the tank and Carburetor bowl and had a "Purge" connected to the base of the carb. Maybe that explains no PCV makeup air hose.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,059 Posts
Indeed with the change to the air intake hose now going to the inlet tube assembly, it makes sense

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,698 Posts
Indeed with the change to the air intake hose now going to the inlet tube assembly, it makes sense

A Guy
I bet without that filter CAIs will be different to get CARB certification.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack A8
223 Posts
Thanks for that JesseRT , always good to know. It doesn't show on any parts break downs as it's a part of the upper air box

52022310AC -2019
68413350AA 2020

A Guy
It doesn't show because its an integral part of the airbox now, its not a separate component, not removable (without drilling or cutting the box itself) or serviceable its more of a revised part. I am not surprised that the 2020 airbox and 2019 airbox are different part numbers or at least different revision level parts.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T plus T/A 6-speed
504 Posts
Maybe it’s just the V6. I have the 5.7. Here is few pics of the air box that I remove. It still has the one orange paper filter and there isn’t a breather tube connecte. My hemi was manufactured in August of this year.
Furniture Room
Automotive exterior
Automotive exterior

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those pics look like the bottom half of the air box. On the 3.6 L the carbon filter is affixed to the upper half of the air box, so it sits above the air filter. If there is nothing there, than Dodge may not have started installing them on the Hemi's yet.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Those pics look like the bottom half of the air box. On the 3.6 L the carbon filter is affixed to the upper half of the air box, so it sits above the air filter. If there is nothing there, than Dodge may not have started installing them on the Hemi's yet.
The orange filter is the only filter in there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After further investigation I found that Dodge considers Hemi owners to be a bunch of whiny, namby pamby, Billys sisters who would use the charcoal filter as an excuse for their cams and lifters self destructing and why they got smoked off the line by a turbo 4-cylinder Mustang.😄

·
Registered
504 Posts
After further investigation I found that Dodge considers Hemi owners to be a bunch of whiny, namby pamby, Billys sisters who would use the charcoal filter as an excuse for their cams and lifters self destructing and why they got smoked off the line by a turbo 4-cylinder Mustang.😄
I used to have n 18 Mustang GT, I’m in my 60’s now so I don’t care about who is faster. I just enjoy the looks,sound and comfort that mopar offers. 😎

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.